Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:15 pm

Question for the group...who in the squad can compete with Hickman up the field if we don't make a signing?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:18 pm

I’m opposed to bringing Zouma back - whilst entertaining to watch (good and bad) he isn’t exactly the type that would shore up a shaky defence. It’d be more likely he’s brought in as backup, but is any better than Brockbank? I’m doubtful.

I’m praying Evatt stumbles across another Matt Platt - a young loanee from a Champ/Prem club who can read the game and doesn’t think in slow motion. I watched Barrow v Derby in the 1st Rd of the Carling Cup and my god did he look good. Just in a different league to anything we have now.

Also, never going to happen as we already have a proven LG2 goal scorer in Doyle and this guy’s wage demands would be too high (I’m assuming that’s why talks fizzled out with Grimsby - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.grim ... 526765.amp) but I think Omar Boyle would be the perfect fit to lead the line for a LG2 team aiming for promotion.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:23 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:15 pm
Question for the group...who in the squad can compete with Hickman up the field if we don't make a signing?
There aren't many obvious options. I guess Fonz at a push and seemingly this Finlay Lockett if Evatt thinks he's ready.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Omar Bogle getting on the end of Hickman's crossing would be great, but I agree it's not going to happen.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:04 pm
We are three short of having an ideal squad for that style of play. Hickman competition, Delf competition and a playmaker. Again, for me that makes the playmaker the genuine missing piece. The rest is competition and depth.
In other words, the "3" of the 4-2-3-1.

What I would say for this shape, and those positions (especially the wide ones), is that we're very likely to find suitable players available for loan. The domination of 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 over the last decade and a half – partly as a result of Sam's success, as well as those further up the food chain – has produced an academy-coached generation of wide players who are unlikely to break into their club's first teams past, say, £62m Kai Havertz or £500kpw Gareth Bale. Not that I'm suggesting we send a cab for Lucas Piazon or Anthony Georgiou, but there will be players available.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:54 pm

I think the forward will be fairly easy to find on loan, yeah. The 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 etc etc played up the leagues utilises forwards that will adapt to the Delf mould. Hickan's role on Saturday wasn't that, though, he still had plenty of defensive responsibilities and we're probably looking for more of a young Giggs-type that can't decide if he's a fullback or a winger. Those are there to be had, but they tend to end up on loan much higher up the leagues.

Genuinely creative central players are rare - they're positively endangered in terms of getting loaned out to League Two. The top divisions don't produce playmakers in the continental style very often. It's why almost all the playmakers in English football are imports - even in the Championship. Premier League and Championship academies focus on players who want to play the game at high speed and in the transitions. Evatt wants to play a slower, more methodical style that requires sudden and unpredictable incisiveness as the opposition get better up the leagues. That sort of player who can receive the ball, put his foot on it and then pick the pass that nobody else on the pitch sees is a unicorn in England. There's a big difference between hitting the runners in transition and seeing a split second gap in a rigid defence.

We have signed players who suit a more frantic style thus far and I think we'll struggle to find that player who will tie it all together and give us structure to our slower-paced attack. Hickman may be a big part of the puzzle, as he can do that from a wide position. It's probably a case of "answers on a stamp" as to the names who fit as options for us in the middle. I can only think of Graham Carey, who isn't "perfect" but could do it. We can't afford him, though. We need that sort to protect Hickman, if nothing else. If he keeps on like he has teams will target him before long.

Mourinho said the other day that a squad is a puzzle. This might be the piece that we have lost under the couch.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Andre Green (Ex-Villa) or Henri Ogunby (Ex-Citeh) still available
Pfffft.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:00 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm
Henri is an interesting shout. He's a Bolton lad and he used to work with our new academy director at Bury. It'd take a lot of work to convert him into a player that'd suit Evatt's system, though. He's very much a winger, from when I've seen him in youth football over the years.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:06 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:00 pm
TKIZ! wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm
Henri is an interesting shout. He's a Bolton lad and he used to work with our new academy director at Bury. It'd take a lot of work to convert him into a player that'd suit Evatt's system, though. He's very much a winger, from when I've seen him in youth football over the years.
I think Henri in a similar vein to Henry could be converted from Winger to "Forward" maybe as that tricksy player that we've been looking for. Saw Ogunby a couple of times and he looked decent enough for League 2 but it's a question of cost/fitness
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:08 pm

See also Kaylen Hinds
Pfffft.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 pm

I've not seen anything of Hinds since he left Arsenal, so I can't comment there.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:00 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:34 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:11 pm
Sounds reasonable from Evatt there.

Reeco Hackett-Fairchild is one we're reportedly trying to loan. Pompey apparently blocked a move they had formerly sanctioned, deciding they want us to contribute more of his wages. Southend and one other club in for him.

Never seen him play, as far as I am aware, but talked to a friend who knows non-league more than I do who said a number of league clubs had scouted him at D&R before Charlton picked him up and then good sides were looking at him again last season at Bromley. Pace and close control caught the eye at that level.

Seems to be a lad who has been seen as "one for the future" a couple of times and maybe as he develops physically as he gets older (he's now 22) he'll become increasingly dangerous. Could be he needs to enter the leagues at L2, rather than L1, if he's to find his way.

If we have moved on to loans now the rumour mill will probably pick up again for a while.

I saw Reeco play for Bromley several times last season. Definitely a good player at that level (which is now almost all pro and, IMHO, not hugely different from L2). Would be a very useful option to have on the bench when we need a goal. Of course, now I've said that, he'll rock up on a season-long loan and turn out to be a bag of 💩!

For the record, Reeco has returned to Bromley on loan.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:09 am

I see Charlie Adam's in the news. Forming a five-a-side with Ian Brown, Noel Gallagher, Van Morrison and Denise Welch.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:09 pm

I wonder if we banked on fans in the ground before making that final signing or two?

Alternatively I wonder if there are a lot of players and agents frantically lowering wage demands.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:56 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:09 pm
I wonder if we banked on fans in the ground before making that final signing or two?

Alternatively I wonder if there are a lot of players and agents frantically lowering wage demands.
The former, possibly. The latter, certainly - Evatt has already mentioned it.

And things move along. Portsmouth's local newspaper, which with a magnificent lack of arsing about is called The News, says we're close to signing Pompey attacking midfielder Gareth Evans, 32, Macclesfield-born former MU kid who has been promoted from this division with Rotherham, Fleetwood (with extra Sarce) and Pompey and wants to move back north. He's been edged out by Pompey getting Michael Jacobs from the Wigan fire sale. Didn't train with the first team this week.

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... lder-evans

Iles says "The right-sided Evans can play as an orthodox midfielder, a right-back, a winger or a number 10 and so would be able to play in either system Evatt has employed in recent weeks." Also says Evans is "close pals" with Sarce.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... eth-evans/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Sounds ideal for the formation change.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Interesting link to Gareth Evans. He's a quality player at this level. Physical, solid technique and genuinely two-footed. Can't argue with that as a signing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:40 pm

Pompey fans' view.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... re-2982795

And three dozen goals for Pompey:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 am

Interesting views from the Pompey fans.

I think I'd agree that he's only an okay player in League One terms and at his age he's not going to be enough to get Portsmouth where they want to be.

For us, though, he's a no-brainer. That's especially true if he still has that bit of pace. He was never rapid, but he's been a strong runner in the past. Very difficult to knock off the ball.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 am

Bradford fans saying that he's signing or has signed for them ?