Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:35 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:30 am
It's certainly a problem. We've got the volume but without the capability. I'm assuming the "defensive attributes" and "leadership stats" were still masked when we picked 'em.
Are we sure the players are sub-standard (some might well be in the end) or is it possible that the coaching hasn't managed to turn them into a cohesive group with everyone knowing their role?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:35 am
Worthy4England wrote:
It's certainly a problem. We've got the volume but without the capability. I'm assuming the "defensive attributes" and "leadership stats" were still masked when we picked 'em.
Are we sure the players are sub-standard (some might well be in the end) or is it possible that the coaching hasn't managed to turn them into a cohesive group with everyone knowing their role?
Probably a bit of both. They look undrilled, disorganised defensively and often stood in random places around the defensive third. But little things like "where we setting the line for that free-kick wide left?" - you seeing any bugger on the pitch saying "it's here" - If that's happening I'm missing it. Think commentator spotted we'd at one point closed down the pitch on Saturday by moving in the general direction of the HW line - I'm not sure how that happened, why it happened at that particular juncture, why it didn't continue happening etc...Seems like it's decision taking through osmosis...

I still haven't worked out yet whether they're marking "spaces" or "people" - it's that bad.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:08 am

It's a rather basic observation, and not one which requires you to be Jurgen Klopp to make, but the communication between our defenders has been seemingly non-existent. Discipline in keeping a tight line is one of the most important aspects of modern defending, particularly with the type of football we're trying to play. Until we get someone marshalling that line from within we're doomed to continue conceding goals to balls over the top.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:22 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:08 am
It's a rather basic observation, and not one which requires you to be Jurgen Klopp to make, but the communication between our defenders has been seemingly non-existent. Discipline in keeping a tight line is one of the most important aspects of modern defending, particularly with the type of football we're trying to play. Until we get someone marshalling that line from within we're doomed to continue conceding goals to balls over the top.
This 100% - a few have mentioned this previously, there are no leaders or communicators on the pitch - the goalkeeper & defenders don't communicate as you say, we really do need an organiser & talker in that back 3 or back 4.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:06 am

See I'm totally in agreement about a leader and you can see the issue when setting up for set pieces. BUT much of that has to be done on the training ground. I also think the concept of an onfield 'leader' is a dying thing in football. The idea that an old and loud respected player who shouts at everyone and organises on the field just is being seen less and less now. Even if you look at the very top of the game - Liverpool won the league with Henderson as captain - sure a player who gives everything for the cause and leads by example, but hardly a demonstrative shout at people type. Same at Citeh since Kompany left - nobody at all you'd say was a natural leader of the team in the old traditional sense (and they probably have similar issues at the back to us).

You've also got to factor in that many young lads coming through simply aren't used to those characters anymore - notice how quiet and unassuming most players are nowadays - at least on camera.

I don't think the blend is right at the back and absolutely think a leader is missing but more in the sense that to me we have defenders who lack the ability to read the game and take control of it. They are all reactive. And that's a bad combination. Santos with a good, steady reader of the game next to him might be quite good - you can bet your bottom dollar that Big Sam would find out very quickly if that lad can defend were he the manager because he'd definitely want that sort of presence.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:13 am

There's nothing any leader could've done on Saturday the way Santos played. Honestly the worst performance I've ever seen in a white shirt. He looked like a competition winner. The worst bit of all it was his tombola approach to positioning. Part of the reason I said that I thought Taft had played well. They were never, ever square.

You'd look one minute and Santos was pissing about in central midfielder aimlessly, the next they'd play a ball over the top and you'd think that's miles offside and then the camera would pan to that dozy cnut ambling back to the penalty area soon to be overtaking.

It has such a fundamental effect too. You can talk all you want about a high press and building pressure, but that's never going to happen if then can just spin in into a channel every single time and have runners through our parallelogram of a back 4.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:54 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:54 am

I still haven't worked out yet whether they're marking "spaces" or "people" - it's that bad.
I'm glad someone else has asked that (and more so that it's you :D) as I felt a bit embarrassed asking the same thing on Saturday - like it must be me that's missed the memo.

I mean without a scintilla of hyperbole, if this is man-to-man marking then I honestly expect to see better on the local parks. I've never in my entire life seen a worse 'marking' job than on Colchester's first goal the other week. That it was from a set-piece as well makes me think that Santos especially must've sneaked a bet on.
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:04 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:13 am
There's nothing any leader could've done on Saturday the way Santos played. Honestly the worst performance I've ever seen in a white shirt. He looked like a competition winner. The worst bit of all it was his tombola approach to positioning. Part of the reason I said that I thought Taft had played well. They were never, ever square.

You'd look one minute and Santos was pissing about in central midfielder aimlessly, the next they'd play a ball over the top and you'd think that's miles offside and then the camera would pan to that dozy cnut ambling back to the penalty area soon to be overtaking.

It has such a fundamental effect too. You can talk all you want about a high press and building pressure, but that's never going to happen if then can just spin in into a channel every single time and have runners through our parallelogram of a back 4.
Yeah exactly. It's not necessarily about having a Tony Adams type bellowing at everyone, but at the very least the defence need to be talking amongst themselves to keep a shape.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 pm

As it happens, Henderson *is* a very vocal leader, but as noted:

(1) it's not necessary to have a bellowing onfield sergeant, yet another example of our curiously militaristic attitude to sport
(2) most of this stuff should be sorted by good coaching
(3) players playing terribly can undercut any coaching.

I did wonder if it would take a while to embed Evatt's style. But with such a coaching-heavy ethos, I didn't suspect we would be this terrible at defending and organising.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 pm
Henderson
:conf:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:50 pm
Henderson
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:06 am
See I'm totally in agreement about a leader and you can see the issue when setting up for set pieces. BUT much of that has to be done on the training ground. I also think the concept of an onfield 'leader' is a dying thing in football. The idea that an old and loud respected player who shouts at everyone and organises on the field just is being seen less and less now. Even if you look at the very top of the game - Liverpool won the league with Henderson as captain - sure a player who gives everything for the cause and leads by example, but hardly a demonstrative shout at people type. Same at Citeh since Kompany left - nobody at all you'd say was a natural leader of the team in the old traditional sense (and they probably have similar issues at the back to us).
Focus, man, you're as bad as Santos :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:50 pm
Henderson
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:06 am
Focus, man, you're as bad as Santos :D
Well tell him to speak up a bit :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:25 pm

As it happens, Henderson *is* a very vocal leader, but as noted:

(1) it's not necessary to have a bellowing onfield sergeant, yet another example of our curiously militaristic attitude to sport
(2) most of this stuff should be sorted by good coaching
(3) players playing terribly can undercut any coaching.

I did wonder if it would take a while to embed Evatt's style. But with such a coaching-heavy ethos, I didn't suspect we would be this terrible at defending and organising.
I agree to some extent with 2 and 3. Then I look across our backline (perm any 3 or 4 from 12). Personally, I'd have someone using the stadium PA system whilst it was quiet in the stands, if only to shout at Santos!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:35 am
Worthy4England wrote:
It is really unkind for me to say this, but I almost feel that we would get better results if we just send an 11 on the field and tell them to play football how they know it to be played instead of trying to play Evatt's way. Just like how we would play football in a 11 a side pick up match when we were younger. Tackle, mark, Pass, Dribble , Kick as the situation dictates. It really isnt that hard especially in L2. Right now I don't think coaching is helping us much.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:21 pm

Just thought I'd pop this paragraph here.
Positional awareness isn’t something that naturally lends itself (yet) to being measured through data, and this is where video scouting tools such as Wyscout or InStat come in handy. Teams will watch clips or full games and focus just on the player of interest in situations that will test his positional awareness.
Source: The Athletic
https://theathletic.co.uk/2087716/2020/ ... gent-fees/

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:12 pm

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:21 pm
Just thought I'd pop this paragraph here.
Positional awareness isn’t something that naturally lends itself (yet) to being measured through data, and this is where video scouting tools such as Wyscout or InStat come in handy. Teams will watch clips or full games and focus just on the player of interest in situations that will test his positional awareness.
Source: The Athletic
https://theathletic.co.uk/2087716/2020/ ... gent-fees/
Santos - see that bloke in blue? Well stick to the side of him that's closest to the wood-framed stringy effort.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:49 am

Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:18 pm
Could you pass me that marvellously journalistic phrase please? Ah thank you...

Zouma SETS THE RECORD STRAIGHT. Says we were about to shunt out a defender - shurely Brockbank or Delaney - and IE/TP somewhat strung him along.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... rers-exit/
Out of respect for Bolton and the club’s fans I never communicated about the situation, I let Bolton communicate about my situation but today I would like to set some truth back.

My wish has always been to sign and play for Bolton. I spent two seasons at the club with my initially signed Under-23s contract. In November 2019 the club made me an offer to extend my contract, but the offer was almost similar to my current contract, we tried to negotiate but never got a response from the club.

At the beginning of July sporting director Tobias (Phoenix) contacted my agent to find out if I was still interested in returning to the club, we said ‘yes’ and we waited for an offer that never arrived. It is important for me to say that Bolton NEVER made me an offer to return to the club.

Recently there was a mutual will for me to return to training at Bolton, Tobias insisted as the manager wanted to see if I was in good physical shape and it was agreed that he would make me an offer when another player was gone. Last week I spoke to the manager and he confirmed to me that the club wanted to sign me that they were going to send me an offer soon.

On Thursday I decided not to return to training because I had not received any offers from Bolton. When I read what was said by the club and the coach I must set the record straight and protect my image. I have always given my best for the club despite the hardships and injustices I have suffered.
Signed for Barrow, yesterday.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:00 pm

SIGNING KLAXON
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/octobe ... uton-town/
Wanderers have completed the signing of right-sided defender Peter Kioso on loan from Sky Bet Championship side Luton Town until the end of the season.

The 21 year-old has featured twice this season for the Hatters, playing in their Carabao Cup ties against Reading and Manchester United, whilst also collecting the Man of the Match award against the latter.

Originally in the youth setup at MK Dons, the Republic of Ireland-born defender began his professional career with Hartlepool United and impressed with the National League outfit during 18 months at Victoria Park before completing a move to the second tier with Luton in January 2020.

Upon Kioso’s arrival at the University of Bolton Stadium, Head Coach Ian Evatt said: “I am delighted to confirm we have signed Peter Kioso from Luton who is a player I have admired for a long time and have chased since the start of pre-season.

“Peter can play a variety of positions, has great pace and power and adds quality to our squad.”

After completing his loan switch, Kioso said: “I’m delighted to sign for the club and I can’t wait to get going and show everyone what I can do.’’
Just the one Football League game (plus four in the major cups) for Luton, but 67 in the National League for Hartlepool. Luton fans say:
• "attacking but also loves a tackle, exciting prospect"
• "Great player"
• "pacey and can ping a ball, treat him well"
• "a shame, thought he might break through this season"
• " Gutted to see him go. But can't wait to have him back"
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:07 pm

"It's a bit of a trek and the roadworks are shit, but what can you do?"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:12 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:07 pm
"It's a bit of a trek and the roadworks are shit, but what can you do?"
:mrgreen:

As the Dublin-born son of Congolese parents, and a young man whose professional clubs have been Dunstable, Hartlepool and Luton, he obviously isn't scared of a new place...

Six-footer as well, which is handy for set pieces at either end

Obligatory clipreel with added soft jazz