New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:50 am

Ibahjanner wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:22 am
Argyle fan here in peace and just some thoughts on the rumours surrounding Ryan Lowe. The first thing is that twelve months ago we were in the same situation with lots of rumours but nothing tangible. We later found out that he turned up at the interview with schuey and stated we are a pair and that has been the dogma ever since. Ryan is very much the front man whereas schuey is the quiet one in the background. So theres the first snag for you will they move as a pair will they split. I have read you are after a head coach if that's correct where does schuey fit into it.
There is much for him to be interested in the position like location and facilities but does he want to be known as a person getting teams out of the bottom league or does he wish to push on. As I said he is very much the front man of the pair.
Yes I can hear you saying ah but we have and can give him a better chance of doing it. Maybe. You certainly have the facilities that many teams would dream of and theoretically with the hotel the facilities to bring in outward income, but dont write off Argyle. People say about our catchment area etc etc but I would also suggest look into what's happening at Argyle starting with the chairman who has sunk 15 million into the club over the last few years not as loans but by increasing share numbers. This sum includes the rebuilding of the grandstand to give non matchday income. Then look at the board of directors he has been bringing in people like Andrew Parkinson (ex liverpool) Neil Dewsnip (ex Everton and English fa) trevor east ( ex sky and ITV). It is a team with loads of experience. I have pointed this out to show that whilst you would be a draw things are not so straight cut as just been there so can do it again there are good reasons for him to stick.

Whatever happens and whatever if he is in the frame I wish you luck for the coming season whenever and however it might br
I wouldn't worry yourself, pal. Lowe seems like one of the least likely options of the names being bandied about in the press given the positions of our respective clubs and the cash that would be involved to release him from his contract.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:06 am

Appointing a head coach wouldn't mean there wouldn't also be a position for an assistant. Personally though, I find Lowe less appealing than I think most other people do.

Ibahjanner
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Ibahjanner » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 am

Lockdown boredom just thought i would give a plymouth perspective to the rumours. Me well if it happens it happens both you and I would move jobs if we thought it was better for us and with so little loyalty in football and there getting the sack very easily one cant blame them from moving on. Yes your right about compensation we paid Bury 150000 which was a club he could if just walked out of as they hadn't paid him for months at that stage. How much would compo cost you well given the circumstances I would like to think more than the 200k quoted.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:23 am

Morning, Janner, thanks for your input.

I think the cost will put us off and as you say he may want to try to prove himself in D3. I’m sure (with all respect) he’d rather have done it at Bury but he had to jump and you were a very good (if very distant!) option. Now he would have to choose whether to do it all again just to be back in the north-west. What happens if he fails?

I don’t think the Schuey thing matters massively - as Nicko says, head coaches have sidekicks too; the difference is their upward control. The major problem would be if that adds more money to the bill, which is going to be a primary concern.

As I say I don’t think it will suit either party right now so I wouldn’t worry too much if I were you mate. Best of luck in the Third.

Oh and Hobo - nowt wrong wi a Zafira - I drove one for a decade and was very happy with it...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:22 am

The interview with Barrow's chairman on the radio last night made it sound like they're very much expecting to receive an approach from us. I think he was essentially trying to let their fans know that when Evatt leaves it won't be his regime's fault.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:31 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:22 am
The interview with Barrow's chairman on the radio last night made it sound like they're very much expecting to receive an approach from us. I think he was essentially trying to let their fans know that when Evatt leaves it won't be his regime's fault.
Sounded like a warning shot fired at our owners not to bother trying to negotiate the release fee. If I'm honest I'd guess he knows Evatt has been approached but perhaps they don't think we can afford it. That was my reading of it. Ultimately if we really wanted Evatt then why are we interviewing a lot of other candidates? Evatt seemingly has been at the ground over the weekend - too many seem to have clocked him for that to be complete nonsense. Yet we've spent the next few days interviewing. I think that screams not wanting to pay for a manager even if we identified him as top choice. But we'll see.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:31 am
The_Gun wrote:
Sounded like a warning shot fired at our owners not to bother trying to negotiate the release fee. If I'm honest I'd guess he knows Evatt has been approached but perhaps they don't think we can afford it. That was my reading of it. Ultimately if we really wanted Evatt then why are we interviewing a lot of other candidates? Evatt seemingly has been at the ground over the weekend - too many seem to have clocked him for that to be complete nonsense. Yet we've spent the next few days interviewing. I think that screams not wanting to pay for a manager even if we identified him as top choice. But we'll see.
Interviewing just one candidate for a role, especially when it is an incredibly important role within your organisation, would be extremely foolish. The members of the FV consortium are experienced business people who I'm sure would want to meet with a wide pool of candidates, even if they had a preferred option.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:55 pm

I read it as a negotiating tactic. I think they think we'll ask to pay in installments.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:09 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Interviewing just one candidate for a role, especially when it is an incredibly important role within your organisation, would be extremely foolish. The members of the FV consortium are experienced business people who I'm sure would want to meet with a wide pool of candidates, even if they had a preferred option.
Yes but they can't interview Evatt. So they want him based off other evidence. Presumably informal discussions etc. Which is how football works. If you decide you want him then you have to pay the compensation or as we did with Allardyce engineer a way to get him out. But what is odd about this situation is - seemingly someone in the club identified Evatt and seemingly he's had those conversations. The compo amount has been in the media.

Then we've interviewed a number of out of work candidates - you can't interview in work candidates.

So the process is either - we know who we want and we're interviewing people just to be sure - but is an odd way given you can't sample the whole pool. OR we know who we want but can't afford him. OR we don't know who we want at all and Evatt was sounded out like everyone else. OR there are competing voices within the club championing different candidates.

I have absolutely no issue with a thorough and coherent process. But interviewing out of work candidates and also engaging in comms with in work options - to me doesn't seem like a sensible way forward. Surely you'd first talk to out of work options decide if any are of interest and then go through the process - followed by then scouring the in work options should that fail to yield a candidate.

Frankly I've seen a lot of managerial appointments in football - some happen by interview, some by subterfuge, some the clear identified candidate etc - but I've never known one where fairly public interviews occurred for a pool of the candidates whilst seemingly courting another set of candidates in work.

I also question the value of such an approach for such a role. Generally the most common model for managerial appointments in football is head hunting. You decide the sort you want identify who is out there who the best fit is, talk to them and their agents off the record then make the deal happen. Whilst I don't think its a bad idea to sample the options -do formal interviews really offer the right insight into who is the best managerial fit for the role? I'd say no. Extended and lengthy informal discussions probably work best to see if the board and manager can work together. ''

I'll wait and see the outcome of all this but my gut feel is it feels a bit weird. Perhaps its all going to work out and will shine a light on the best option. But should it be a free manager questions will be asked now I think.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:09 pm
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Yes but they can't interview Evatt. So they want him based off other evidence. Presumably informal discussions etc. Which is how football works. If you decide you want him then you have to pay the compensation or as we did with Allardyce engineer a way to get him out. But what is odd about this situation is - seemingly someone in the club identified Evatt and seemingly he's had those conversations. The compo amount has been in the media.

Then we've interviewed a number of out of work candidates - you can't interview in work candidates.

So the process is either - we know who we want and we're interviewing people just to be sure - but is an odd way given you can't sample the whole pool. OR we know who we want but can't afford him. OR we don't know who we want at all and Evatt was sounded out like everyone else. OR there are competing voices within the club championing different candidates.

I have absolutely no issue with a thorough and coherent process. But interviewing out of work candidates and also engaging in comms with in work options - to me doesn't seem like a sensible way forward. Surely you'd first talk to out of work options decide if any are of interest and then go through the process - followed by then scouring the in work options should that fail to yield a candidate.

Frankly I've seen a lot of managerial appointments in football - some happen by interview, some by subterfuge, some the clear identified candidate etc - but I've never known one where fairly public interviews occurred for a pool of the candidates whilst seemingly courting another set of candidates in work.

I also question the value of such an approach for such a role. Generally the most common model for managerial appointments in football is head hunting. You decide the sort you want identify who is out there who the best fit is, talk to them and their agents off the record then make the deal happen. Whilst I don't think its a bad idea to sample the options -do formal interviews really offer the right insight into who is the best managerial fit for the role? I'd say no. Extended and lengthy informal discussions probably work best to see if the board and manager can work together. ''

I'll wait and see the outcome of all this but my gut feel is it feels a bit weird. Perhaps its all going to work out and will shine a light on the best option. But should it be a free manager questions will be asked now I think.
Your gut feel that it's a bit weird is based on incomplete and potentially inaccurate information, though. People on forums supposedly sighting Evatt at the stadium, and guesses made by Alan Nixon on Twitter I don't think can be used to make a thorough assessment of FV's recruitment strategy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:38 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:09 pm
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

Your gut feel that it's a bit weird is based on incomplete and potentially inaccurate information, though. People on forums supposedly sighting Evatt at the stadium, and guesses made by Alan Nixon on Twitter I don't think can be used to make a thorough assessment of FV's recruitment strategy.
Oh absolutely. I accept that is always the case. To me the thing that set alarm bells off was over the weekend we heard interviews were going to be next week. Which is the usual sort of story you get and interviews is a lose term for whatever process you go through. Fine. Iles was asked who would be interviewed but said the club were keeping all that very quiet (as you'd expect) and he wouldn't likely be able to say. Then suddenly two days later he's got full lists of names and people are being spotted at the ground. Now look - I'm sure agents etc tip him off but I know in the past he wouldn't have run with that story without the club giving the nod they were ok for their shortlist to be revealed or partially revealed. I get that these circumstances are extreme but also seems odd to interview at the ground rather than somewhere more private or given COVID the training ground - which is less public than the stadium. Ken pretended to be talking to two managers tipped off the local news - all the while courting Parky in the background whilst Marc Iles had his binoculars trained on the ground trying to spot Adkins or Cotterill.

I'm a fan of FV and this is all just gut feels - but I'd guess either there is a split over who they want or they are being a bit naive. End of the day I don't think it looks good if you've sounded out in work managers but then look to see if you can bring a free option in to save money. I hope that isn't the case and what is going on behind the scenes is all a carefully worked through and sound process. And it may well be. And I accept my gut feel isn't based on full info. I still have a hunch though that this isn't quite right.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:54 pm

You may well be right, but I'll take it if we end up getting a progressive young coach like Evatt.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:45 pm

I spent decades hiring people, or at least trying to. It isn't always clean. It isn't always easy. It isn't always entirely open. And while you might try a lot of options, you don't always get your first choice. I can only imagine this is even more so in something like football.

In BWFC's case, I think it's entirely possible that different stakeholders have different opinions. It would be good to know – although we probably never will - whose decision holds sway.

But there's the rub, perhaps - the different approaches suggest a widely-thrown net which might reflect different ideas. Somebody wants an out-of-work manager so let's interview them; somebody else says let's push the boat out and "buy" an Evatt or Lowe, so someone sets out to cost that and it inevitably becomes known. In order for that to be a proper "interview" we'd have to agree compo, but maybe a non-interview conversation is had first. After all, it's pointless discussing terms with Barrow if Evatt would rather trap his balls in a vice and set fire to the shed than work for us. Somebody's been doing some encouraging somewhere.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Take it with as much salt as you will, but this seems to sum it up.
Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 15.48.46.png
Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 15.48.46.png (76.65 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
It's the big if. I guess it depends who's pleading his case and who's footing the bill. Helps if it's the same person. You'd have to make a pretty good argument to pay £120,000 when free options are available - but the very fact we're chasing it suggests it's far from off the table.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:50 pm

It's the big if. I guess it depends who's pleading his case and who's footing the bill. Helps if it's the same person. You'd have to make a pretty good argument to pay £120,000 when free options are available - but the very fact we're chasing it suggests it's far from off the table.
Nixon was pushing Bowyer for the job at the start - saying he was leading candidate. So not sure how reliable he is given Iles didn't think Bowyer fitted profile club wanted so much.

But I'd be happy with Evatt. Its a gamble but seems the right sort of progressive gamble for where we are.

I just hope we don't spend ages messing round trying to do it on the cheap. We need to make sure we get the structure in place and teams are built on and off the pitch.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:22 pm

The Evatt rumours seem to have gained quite substantial momentum in the last hour.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Yes its being reported on sky sports and his odds have now gone to 1/10

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:26 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:22 pm
The Evatt rumours seem to have gained quite substantial momentum in the last hour.
Iles just asked Barrow who say no approach been made.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Nixon was pushing Bowyer for the job at the start - saying he was leading candidate. So not sure how reliable he is given Iles didn't think Bowyer fitted profile club wanted so much.
Oh indeed, and Nicko has said in the last hour that Clough, Bowyer and Grayson didn't make the shortlist...

Now BBC Radio Cumbria reporting "any club would have to pay-out a £250k up-front compensation fee"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Oh indeed, and Nicko has said in the last hour that Clough, Bowyer and Grayson didn't make the shortlist...

Now BBC Radio Cumbria reporting "any club would have to pay-out a £250k up-front compensation fee"
Which I can imagine we won’t be. Feels like we will want Evatt to push this, Allardyce style...when he left Notts County.