New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:50 pm
Take it with as much salt as you will, but this seems to sum it up.

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 15.48.46.png

It's the big if. I guess it depends who's pleading his case and who's footing the bill. Helps if it's the same person. You'd have to make a pretty good argument to pay £120,000 when free options are available - but the very fact we're chasing it suggests it's far from off the table.
Nixon was pushing Bowyer for the job at the start - saying he was leading candidate. So not sure how reliable he is given Iles didn't think Bowyer fitted profile club wanted so much.
Oh indeed, and Nicko has said in the last hour that Clough, Bowyer and Grayson didn't make the shortlist...

Now BBC Radio Cumbria reporting "any club would have to pay-out a £250k up-front compensation fee"
£250k seems an incredibly large amount for them to have written into his contract when they were non-league. Why would he have agreed to that?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:54 pm

Nixon: "Approach has been made for Evatt. Barrow want money up front and in full before they officially speak. Gets returned if it falls down. Compo is bigger than been mentioned before. But may yet be a compromise."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:54 pm
Nixon: "Approach has been made for Evatt. Barrow want money up front and in full before they officially speak. Gets returned if it falls down. Compo is bigger than been mentioned before. But may yet be a compromise."
Bottom line here will be if Evatt pushes this and wants to come Barrow won't have a choice and will have to reach a reasonable agreement. So I suspect this is all a series of press releases from Barrow to save face as they climb down the ladder. Hopefully. Hopefully its not an indication that we don't have the money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:01 pm

Whether we have the money will become clear soon enough, I'd say.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It's the big if. I guess it depends who's pleading his case and who's footing the bill. Helps if it's the same person. You'd have to make a pretty good argument to pay £120,000 when free options are available - but the very fact we're chasing it suggests it's far from off the table.
Nixon was pushing Bowyer for the job at the start - saying he was leading candidate. So not sure how reliable he is given Iles didn't think Bowyer fitted profile club wanted so much.
Oh indeed, and Nicko has said in the last hour that Clough, Bowyer and Grayson didn't make the shortlist...

Now BBC Radio Cumbria reporting "any club would have to pay-out a £250k up-front compensation fee"
Which I can imagine we won’t be. Feels like we will want Evatt to push this, Allardyce style...when he left Notts County.
When he left Notts County?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Which I can imagine we won’t be. Feels like we will want Evatt to push this, Allardyce style...when he left Notts County.
Yep, when he quit then took a job at our place. They complained he was poached, we were found guilty and fined but not ordered to pay the Pies any compo.

As Macbeth might have predicted, he then did more or less the same to us to rock up at Newcastle after a strangely recuperative few days off.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We were broke - couldn't afford to pay compensation - he walked out on them to come here. Caused quite a kerfuffle at the time - was talk of legal action - not sure it ever went anywhere in the end.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:50 pm

Yeah, can see Evatt having resigned by the end of the day.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:02 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:50 pm
Not sure on that speed of events - but he can (if he chooses) agitate for a move by telling the chairman to let him go for a decent fee. It would have no legal impact but it would make it clear the jig's up.

However, what's a bit weird about this is that they've not even interviewed him yet - although they've evidently had some contact, and presumably enough of a meeting of minds to consider paying the bunce.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:34 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:02 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Not sure on that speed of events - but he can (if he chooses) agitate for a move by telling the chairman to let him go for a decent fee. It would have no legal impact but it would make it clear the jig's up.

However, what's a bit weird about this is that they've not even interviewed him yet - although they've evidently had some contact, and presumably enough of a meeting of minds to consider paying the bunce.
They won’t interview him. I suspect that the game is ask Evatt to negotiate a reasonable compromise to allow him to come here for ‘talks’. I can’t see us paying quarter of a million and it will come down to how far Evatt wants to push this.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:36 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:02 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

I think the Cumbrian press were reporting that we'd have to pay the fee up front if we wanted to approach him, but if we couldn't ultimately agree terms with IE then the money would be refunded.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:40 pm

I cannot see us being able to pay a quarter of a million up front I just cannot. We’ve just let our CEO go because we needed to save money. People need perspective. That’s probably two or three months running costs possibly more in league two. Barrow will need to negotiate and it will need Evatt to force this issue.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 pm

Yep. I just mean that for us to take it this far - approaching an employed manager - means it must be at least a possibility, or it's waste of everyone's time and potentially a pre-damnation of the guy who gets the job. Imagine we now hire Jolley: he'd be seen as the cheap option. Personally I applaud the wide-thrown net and I think that chasing employed managers shows some determination.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 pm

Haha how the f*ck do they stop him driving to a meeting with our lot? He’s number one, he’ll join us unless we decide not to pay for him. There is no paying to interview him! 😂

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:44 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:42 pm
Yep. I just mean that for us to take it this far - approaching an employed manager - means it must be at least a possibility, or it's waste of everyone's time and potentially a pre-damnation of the guy who gets the job. Imagine we now hire Jolley: he'd be seen as the cheap option. Personally I applaud the wide-thrown net and I think that chasing employed managers shows some determination.
Iles seems to be suggesting that we always wanted Evatt and rest was for show and Nixon is saying club had wrong information previously on compensation amount required and it’s higher than we thought.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:44 pm
Iles seems to be suggesting that we always wanted Evatt and rest was for show and Nixon is saying club had wrong information previously on compensation amount required and it’s higher than we thought.
Yes, but none of that negates what I said above, mate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
No. What it might show is why the process is weird. Perhaps when we’ve heard the full amount we’ve started looking around as we can’t afford it?

Who knows.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:02 pm
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
No. What it might show is why the process is weird. Perhaps when we’ve heard the full amount we’ve started looking around as we can’t afford it?

Who knows.
More likely the other way round, no? It feels a lot like the official approach for Evatt has happened in the last 24 hours, perhaps even today. The freebie interviews were beforehand. That suggests none of them wowed the panel into parsimony, although like you I think we're far from certain to get Evatt. Not only are we far from rich, but if he makes clear he wants out we might yet get gazumped by another club in search of a manager.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:29 pm

I'm going to give the Board the benefit of the doubt over what they think they can/can't afford to do. They managed to get a pretty complex takeover, over the line.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm

I find it curious that we reportedly thought the compensation figure was lower than it is. It can't be written into Evatt's contract as I assume we got our information from his agent, who will surely know the details. That must mean it's just a figure they've come up with, which will presumably be negotiated down.