New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:30 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:45 am
I suspect they want to pay it when we get season ticket money in.
Reckon that’s about the long and short of it yes.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:46 am

FV clearly aren't sharing anything with Iles and Nixon is making stuff up as usual, so I don't think anyone can be confident about exactly what's going on right now. I

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:51 am

BBC Cumbria Sport is reporting that we've had an offer "well-below" the buy-out fee rejected.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:11 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:51 am
BBC Cumbria Sport is reporting that we've had an offer "well-below" the buy-out fee rejected.
We might as well try and pay as little as possible. If IE has had his head turned then we're in a strong bargaining position.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:56 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:11 am
nicholaldo wrote:
We might as well try and pay as little as possible. If IE has had his head turned then we're in a strong bargaining position.
Barrow are clearly happy to put stories out about what we're doing - to make us look bad.

I'd say its sensible to negotiate to a point but if the figure is written down and agreed in a contract as seems to be the case I doubt you can really negotiate much. Barrow have us over a barrel here....and they know it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:56 am
The_Gun wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:
Barrow are clearly happy to put stories out about what we're doing - to make us look bad.

I'd say its sensible to negotiate to a point but if the figure is written down and agreed in a contract as seems to be the case I doubt you can really negotiate much. Barrow have us over a barrel here....and they know it.
Bollocks.

If the guy says he wants to go, Barrow can certainly dig their heels in, but they know they'd be stuck with an unhappy manager. Eventually they will relent and accept a compromise.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:06 am

Worth noting, perhaps, that it's highly unusual these days for any money in football to be paid up front - it's almost all done on tick, for example with transfer fees being paid in instalments over the course of the contract. Liquidity being what it is, Barrow are being especially pernickety – I suspect quite purposefully - in asking for money up front, but I suppose you could also argue the Christian Doidge thing is biting us in the arse.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:08 am

I don't understand why there are so many numpties, Nixon included, that are saying "just pay it". Standard business practice in a situation like this is to try and cut costs as much as possible. I'd be worried if FV WEREN'T trying to haggle on the price. And you can guarantee that there would be plenty bitching that we paid £250k to a tiny club like Barrow for a boss with no league experience if we hadn't tried to shout down the cost...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:12 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:08 am
I don't understand why there are so many numpties, Nixon included, that are saying "just pay it". Standard business practice in a situation like this is to try and cut costs as much as possible. I'd be worried if FV WEREN'T trying to haggle on the price. And you can guarantee that there would be plenty bitching that we paid £250k to a tiny club like Barrow for a boss with no league experience if we hadn't tried to shout down the cost...
Exactly.

Nixon I think was in with the Andersons so doesn't seem to be particularly positively disposed towards FV.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:

Bollocks.

If the guy says he wants to go, Barrow can certainly dig their heels in, but they know they'd be stuck with an unhappy manager. Eventually they will relent and accept a compromise.
I suspect if Evatt was prepared to push it that far, or able to, we'd have heard by now. We don't know what's in the contract but bottom line is that he signed it - and clearly there is a figure that needs to be reached - until we reach it, Barrow don't need to do anything. I agree that you can start to question their wisdom on denying Evatt a move - but you don't know his view - he might want a chance but equally be wary of our financial situation. Barrow might be playing both sides here. It also might be more complicated than him just resigning as you don't know what his contract states - there may be a period of time whereby compensation is still due.

I don't know but the bottom line is as Iles has said this morning - with Evatt chase being so public now - FV might have to make sure they get him to save face.

It seems pretty clear we've not found what they consider to be a cheaper suitable option.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:34 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:12 am
truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:08 am
Exactly.

Nixon I think was in with the Andersons so doesn't seem to be particularly positively disposed towards FV.
Don't think he was. Nixon believes football clubs should be run by rich benefactors pumping money in - I don't think he recognises the sustainable business model as being viable. But remember his sources are agents and people in the game - people who all want deals to happen as it lines their pockets.

I also think he is effectively saying that Bolton have spent months looking into options, come up with Evatt, knew his cost and are now trying to negotiate after interviewing others - it doesn't really feel right to me, and I suspect someone like Nixon who's been around a long time also finds it a bit odd.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:40 am

Nixon thrives on stories as well. Things probably being made to sound more exciting than they actually are. We’ve interviewed some managers to check there weren’t any free diamonds out there. Fine. We’ve identified one in contract at a smaller club who we want. Now we are negotiating how much / when we pay for him. Things are taking longer to do at the moment in the business world because of the pandemic don’t forget...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Barrow have us over a barrel here....and they know it.
I don't think they do. As I see it they have a straight choice.

Hang onto an unhappy manager and turn down a sizeable offer of cash, when nobody in lower league football knows when their next income will be, or

Grudgingly accept less than they're publically demanding up front, or at best staggered payments.

If they decide to hang on, we move onto the next candidate.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Barrow have us over a barrel here....and they know it.
I don't think they do. As I see it they have a straight choice.

Hang onto an unhappy manager and turn down a sizeable offer of cash, when nobody in lower league football knows when their next income will be, or

Grudgingly accept less than they're publically demanding up front, or at best staggered payments.

If they decide to hang on, we move onto the next candidate.
It might depend on Evatt’s view and attitude sure. I guess it’s a question of whether they are using the big amount because they don’t think we have it to keep him OR are just showing their fans they’ve not given in.

In the latter we have the whip hand. In the former Barrow can just hold out and say to Evatt that the big club couldn’t afford to pay you out.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:27 pm

^ aye. From our point of view, if we move on we've got the scenario that everyone, including the new coach, knows he's our 2nd choice. Mildly embarrassing for a brief spell I suppose but John McGovern got over it :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:27 pm
^ aye. From our point of view, if we move on we've got the scenario that everyone, including the new coach, knows he's our 2nd choice. Mildly embarrassing for a brief spell I suppose but John McGovern got over it :D
Yeah that's the thing. Barrow seem to be the ones feeding the media. Its either for show or to put Bolton against the wall. I suspect our owners aren't used to dealing with these things in the public eye the way football is. Even a league 2 managerial issues attracts attention.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:15 pm
It might depend on Evatt’s view and attitude sure. I guess it’s a question of whether they are using the big amount because they don’t think we have it to keep him OR are just showing their fans they’ve not given in.

In the latter we have the whip hand. In the former Barrow can just hold out and say to Evatt that the big club couldn’t afford to pay you out.
It's definitely a difficult balance for Evatt in this sort of circumstance. He's obviously made it clear in private that he wants *at least the chance* to leave, so is the relationship with the fans fractured? Trying to imagine how we'd have felt if Rioch's move to Arsenal had fallen through, but perhaps the Alan Stubbs "watch this space" farrago of later that year is more relevant.

I certainly think Barrow are putting on a show of defiance - leaking lines to local radio etc - and perhaps they think he might stay if we can't pony up, or they get a nice bunce if we can. Intriguingly perhaps Nixon said this morning the price was £225k rather than £250k. You imagine we're well into the stage of offer and counter-request, and we certainly didn't see a speedy resolution in the Az It Bin Dun weeks. This won't drag on that long but it seems we also won't be hiking our offer just to get it done, as was reported in cases like Elmander. Our new owners seem careful, but you don't have to be Ken-brash to drive a hard bargain.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:15 pm

It's definitely a difficult balance for Evatt in this sort of circumstance. He's obviously made it clear in private that he wants *at least the chance* to leave, so is the relationship with the fans fractured? Trying to imagine how we'd have felt if Rioch's move to Arsenal had fallen through, but perhaps the Alan Stubbs "watch this space" farrago of later that year is more relevant.

I certainly think Barrow are putting on a show of defiance - leaking lines to local radio etc - and perhaps they think he might stay if we can't pony up, or they get a nice bunce if we can. Intriguingly perhaps Nixon said this morning the price was £225k rather than £250k. You imagine we're well into the stage of offer and counter-request, and we certainly didn't see a speedy resolution in the Az It Bin Dun weeks. This won't drag on that long but it seems we also won't be hiking our offer just to get it done, as was reported in cases like Elmander. Our new owners seem careful, but you don't have to be Ken-brash to drive a hard bargain.
I'd say its equivalent to Rioch really and had he talked to Arsenal then come back we'd have all been over the moon. Evatt has kept quiet in public - probably shows good character. But I guess we're all struggling over how hard it is to take Barrow's manager seemingly! End of the day I think the haggling will be the 'up front part' rather than the amount. Amount's in his contract that he signed - Barrow won't want less. But I'm guessing a staggering of the payment may be an agreement that could be reached. We're hurting from past reputation too.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:36 pm

Iles tweets that progress has been made. Apparently, the dispute relates to the interpretation of clauses in Evatt's contract.

It seems like we might be on the home stretch.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:49 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:36 pm
Iles tweets that progress has been made. Apparently, the dispute relates to the interpretation of clauses in Evatt's contract.

It seems like we might be on the home stretch.
Never simple is it? Azitbindun