New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 pm

There is a very impressive 7 min 1st interview with him inside the Reebok (link below), he really does talk well and has a clear plan in how he wants his team to play football.

An exciting appointment without a doubt.

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 0865794054

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:39 pm

He believes in analytics, sports psychology and data based recruitment. Have we had a manager since Allardyce with such a specific approach?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 pm
There is a very impressive 7 min 1st interview with him inside the Reebok (link below), he really does talk well and has a clear plan in how he wants his team to play football.

Glad you're happy, Bertie :D

"There isn't any point sitting here and saying it's a 'project'. This club should not be in League Two, and it's my job to make sure we get out of League Two as soon as we possibly can."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:40 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:36 pm

"There isn't any point sitting here and saying it's a 'project'. This club should not be in League Two, and it's my job to make sure we get out of League Two as soon as we possibly can."
Any manager who describes a job as a project is automatically a failure. So I’m pleased he’s said that.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:42 pm

Evatt Out !!!
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm
Evatt:
Bolton Wanderers is a fantastic football club with an incredible history and fanbase and this is a really exciting opportunity for us all. Hopefully I can bring a brand and an identity that people will enjoy watching – attacking and scoring goals is what we all want to see. We want to be challenging and competing for promotion at the top of the division and to see a packed University of Bolton Stadium. The community and town is also very important to me. We will get out there and engage with them and make them proud of Bolton Wanderers.
Someone could have told him to pull a face for the photograph commensurate with it being an exciting opportunity!!!!!

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:46 pm

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:40 pm

I hope he means upwards !!!
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:50 pm

"Goals. Attacking, expansive, attractive, football."
[lack of players is] "another exciting thing for me. I get to more or less have a blank canvas and build a team how I see fit. We drill down into a lot of detail in terms of recruitment... it's a good time in many ways becuase there's gonna be a lot of players out of work looking for football clubs, and with what we've got here we're gonna be at the top of a lot of players' lists."
"You have to behave like winners and champions."

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:11 pm

It’s really positive that interview. Said all the right things. Genuinely excited by it as an appointment - which feels different to the last few...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:20 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:19 pm
Club video has him as Bolton Manager 🤣
Does anyone know what his title is?
Says head coach on video I’m seeing....
Quick edit 👍

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:16 pm

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:33 pm
Two-year contractual embargo on signing Barrow players. Presumably not those who lapse out of contract.
Sounds rather futile. We're under an embargo and we've nae brass anyhow.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 pm

I would say this is one of the better times to be under a transfer embargo of just free transfers...

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:27 pm

nelson66 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:42 pm
Evatt Out !!!
Delighted to have our "manager" sorted. Says all the right things so I live on the promise. I wondered to myself who on this forum would be the first to say "Evatt Out" after losing his first game. Nelson is joking but we should have a bet... :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:11 pm
It’s really positive that interview. Said all the right things. Genuinely excited by it as an appointment - which feels different to the last few...
Parky was a good appointment and I felt so at the time. Always had a nagging doubt on Keith Hill that only increased as I listened to his nonsense.

This appointment feels like a fresh start. He wants to shape a squad his way. And can. And he knows the limitations.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:38 pm

You must be really pleased to have arrived and really pleased with the opportunity that you've got.
Yeah. Great to get it done and over the line. It's a fantastic football club and a great opportunity for me to come and, you know, hopefully bring the brand and identity that people are going to enjoy watching. You'll see us attacking, scoring goals. That's what I want to see, and get a packed stadium at the top end of division and competing for promotion.

The club's in the fourth tier of English football for the first time since the late 80s. Is it a challenge that excites you?
A hundred percent, because this club doesn't deserve to be in this division, but it is. And we have to be realistic with that. We are in League Two now, and obviously we are going to be a big fish in a small pond. That's going to bring its own problems, and people are going to come here to this fantastic stadium and raise their game. But we must make sure that we raise ours as well and play, as I said, that brand and identity, of attacking, exciting, expansive football that people really want to see.

What are the objectives for the coming season: promotion as soon as you can, or is it a project?
There's no two ways about it, we can't beat around the bush, we need to get promoted. There's no doubt about it, we need to be up there challenging. There isn't any point sitting here saying "It's a project" – this club should not be in League Two. And it's my job to make sure we getout of League Two as soon as we possibly can.

How much potential do you see in the club?
So much, and that's what excites me. Obviously, I was in a fantastic job and we had a lot of success last season, but as soon as I heard of the interest, it was something that really interested me and I wanted to come here and get this club moving back in the right direction. But most importantly, playing the way, in my opinion, and that exciting brand that I keep speaking about.

What sort of a challenge are you expecting League Two to bring?
It's difficult because every game brings up different challenges. It's obviously Saturday-Tuesday, some long journeys, even though I think this league's quite local this season, it's physically demanding. It's intense. So you do need a bit of a strong spine, a strong integral spine, but then, as I said, we'll get some quick, energetic players around that and really excite our fans both by being free-scoring hopefully and making this place a fortress again.

You must be really proud of what you've achieved at Barrow.
Yeah, it was great. I've been doing this for two years now, and it's it's been a whirlwind, really. I had a fantastic time, I can't speak highly enough for that football club. The way the fans look to me and our brand. As I've said, they needed reeducating at first because they were used to seeing direct football. We reeducated them pretty quickly, and then they were great with what they saw. The board supported me and we ended up with great achievement from the players playing ever so well last season. But that's done now though, I have to concentrate on what I'm going to do here, bring that brand and identity to Bolton Wanderers and make sure we're at the top of this division challenging for promotion.

Is it a philosophy of yours to have your teams playing positive, attractive football?
Of course. At the end of the day, football is an entertainment industry. It's an entertainment business, and people pay their hard-earned money to come watch their football team on Saturday so they have a right to be entertained. And my view is, goals, attacking, expensive, attractive football, is what they want to see. And hopefully we'll be bringing that this season and we can get the right results along the way. And if you get the two together, you've cracked it. And if we do that, I'm more than confident, we can be at the top end of this division.

How important you think it is for a team of yours to develop an identity and a recognizable way of playing football?
It is important because, as I said, it's what I believe in. It's what I enjoy watching myself. I enjoy working with players on the training ground, working on patterns of play, different shapes, systems, throwing curve balls at opposition. We're gonna have a lot of strings to our bow. And that's what I want to see. We're gonna need to, as I said, because there's some tough away fixtures and definitely at this place, people are going to come and make it hard for us. So we need to have different ammunition, but we will have – we'll work very hard during pre-season to make sure we're ready from the start of the season.

The north west of England is an area that you are familiar with.
Yeah, of course. It's a massive part of it and this club is a huge part of the town and community. And it's my job to reengage with that town and community again, to make the community and the town part of their football club again. And we can only do that by setting our stall out pretty quickly, showing them what we're about on the pitch. We've done enough talking now, we need to get down to business and make sure we reengage with everyone again and g et them part of this football club.

Something of a rebuild on your hands in terms of recruitment and getting players in over summer.
But again, that's another exciting thing for me. I get to more or less have a blank canvas and build a team how I see fit. We drill down into a lot of detail in terms of recruitment. We are position-specific. I have an idea of what we need for different positions. We'll be looking at all sorts of recruitment to make sure we fulfil that. It's a good time in many ways because there's going to be a lot of players out contracts and out of work looking for football clubs. And with what we've got here, we are going to be at the top of a lot of players' lists and hopefully, as I said, we get the right ones in playing the right way. We'll work very hard in training, we'll engage with the community again, get ourselves out there and just have me make them proud of Bolton Wanderers again.

Does the club need a winning mentality again?
A hundred percent. The mental side of the game is a huge part of it that cannot be underestimated. You have to initially behave like winners and champions, before you start winning games consistently and you start winning promotions. You have to have that culture and environment set on the training ground. And we'll do that really quickly, from the first day. As I said, we're gonna have pretty much a new squad to work with, and they'll understand how I do things and what we do on the training pitch and they'll have to abide by that. Once you behave like winners and champions on a Saturday, you do it naturally.

Can't wait to get stuck into the job and get onto the training pitch?
It's great. As I said, I see so much potential, so much potential, and it's so exciting that I've got this platform to come here and and use these wonderful facilities, the training facilities as well, recruit a team that again are capable of exciting this town. And that's what we want to do.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:26 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 pm
I would say this is one of the better times to be under a transfer embargo of just free transfers...
And to be carrying feck all players in the summer. Fingers crossed as we are due some good luck!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:29 pm

And from the club site (I particularly like the clarification that 48 is almost 50):

We’ve picked out ten pieces of information to help you get to know a little bit more about the newly appointed Wanderers Head Coach, Ian Evatt.

Born in Coventry, Evatt began his professional career with Derby County and made his senior debut in May 2001, coming on as a substitute for Thordur Gudjonsson in a 1-1 home Premiership draw against Ipswich Town.

Ian Evatt’s managerial record at Barrow was exceptional. Taking charge of 89 matches after joining the club ahead of the 2018/19 season, his guided his team to 40 victories. That’s a win percentage of 45%. Promotion last season ensured the club would return to the Football League after an absence of 48 years – almost half a century!

Evatt featured was an ever-present in Blackpool’s solitary season in the Premier League (2010/11), playing in every one of their 38 league fixtures. His only goal during a campaign that ended in relegation, came in a 2-2 draw against Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium.

Chesterfield is a club he has a strong association with. Making 265 appearances during two spells as a player which lasted a total of seven years, Evatt had a brief stint with the club as Caretaker Manager for the final few weeks of the 2017/18 season following the dismissal of Jack Lester as the club’s Manager.

Evatt won the League Two title as a player with Chesterfield in 2013/14. Under the management of Paul Cook, the central defender was captain as the team finished 1st in the division ahead of Scunthorpe United and Rochdale with 84 points. He played 43 times during the campaign and was named in the PFA Team of the Year.

Evatt played the full 90 minutes of a 3-2 Play-Off Final victory against Cardiff City at Wembley Stadium in May 2010. Future Wanderer Alex Baptiste started alongside him in central defence that day with Barry Bannan and Stephen Dobbie coming on as substitutes – the pair of them would also later sign for Bolton Wanderers.

Three years earlier in May 2007, Evatt played in the League One Play-Off Final and achieved success as Blackpool defeated Yeovil Town 2-0 to earn promotion to the Championship. It was to be the first time the club had played in the second tier in 29 years. Robbie Williams and Michael Jackson played for the Tangerines that day…

Just two years into his career as a manager, Evatt’s style of play has already caught the eye with his Barrow side nicknamed by some in the media as ‘Barrowcelona.’ In his first interview with bwfc.co,uk, the new Wanderers boss has said he will be looking to implement the same style with Bolton.

During a playing career which lasted 17 years, Evatt made a total of 623 appearances (27 goals) and played for Derby County, Northampton Town, Chesterfield, Queens Park Rangers and Blackpool. He has played in the Premier League, Championship, League One and League Two during that time.

Known for playing in central defence throughout his career, Evatt actually started out as a central midfielder during his time at Derby County, but growing to the height of comfortably over 6 feet tall, he was moved into defence and remained there throughout a successful career which saw him play in the Premier League with both Derby and Blackpool.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:35 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:27 pm
nelson66 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:42 pm
Evatt Out !!!
Delighted to have our "manager" sorted. Says all the right things so I live on the promise. I wondered to myself who on this forum would be the first to say "Evatt Out" after losing his first game. Nelson is joking but we should have a bet... :)
I'm delighted with the appointment -- it fills me with positivity about the future direction our club is going to take.
I can't wait for our climb back up to the Premiership to begin.
Roll on happy times again :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 pm

He certainly presents himself as a confident character, with strong ideas on what he feels is required to progress. I hope we can provide him with the resources needed to succeed - even good managers have to have good players - and that we are patient enough to allow him the time to put his methods into practice.

I get the impression that if things go well he might be keen to move onto a better opportunity relatively quickly, but as long as things do go well and as long as we prepare for that prior to it happening, it's a good problem to have.

It feels like we have a positive sense of direction about us for the first time in a long time.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:53 pm

All sounds a bit Owen Coyle. :grin: :grin:

Just hope we can get some players capable of matching the brand.

Delighted he didn't shirk the promotion question. Very positive.