New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:33 pm
I wonder what some expect.
Not sure it's about "expect" (for me anyhow). I still think there's a tough job to do albeit, might be a bit easier than last year's poisoned chalice. I think like many in the Division, we'll have a few nailed on, players that have stayed/re-signed and the rest, we'll be in the same pool as all the Clubs trying to coax players in.

I think there's a fair amount of "fluff" around the DoF role at this level - but will reserve judgement whilst it beds in. DoF feels like a "multi-year" plan rather than single season plan. How many "shoe ins" do we get in the first season that DoF is "running"? Maybe 4 / 5?

So there's likely to be a misfit between where DoF wants to go and the players we can get in 1 closed season to fulfil that ambition.

So for me it's going to be around luck of the draw that the Manager, whoever it is can hit it off with the squad he ends up with...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:03 pm

^ Aye, part of that issue is trying to sell us to players, who may understandably be nervous about signing a contract with us given our last administration and now tarnished reputation.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I wonder what some expect.
Not sure it's about "expect" (for me anyhow). I still think there's a tough job to do albeit, might be a bit easier than last year's poisoned chalice. I think like many in the Division, we'll have a few nailed on, players that have stayed/re-signed and the rest, we'll be in the same pool as all the Clubs trying to coax players in.

I think there's a fair amount of "fluff" around the DoF role at this level - but will reserve judgement whilst it beds in. DoF feels like a "multi-year" plan rather than single season plan. How many "shoe ins" do we get in the first season that DoF is "running"? Maybe 4 / 5?

So there's likely to be a misfit between where DoF wants to go and the players we can get in 1 closed season to fulfil that ambition.

So for me it's going to be around luck of the draw that the Manager, whoever it is can hit it off with the squad he ends up with...
I rather think when observing the 'twitter reactions' that I'm not sampling the more considered views you see on here. Such as yours here.

When I asked 'what do people expect' it was more the complete slating of Heckingbotham on twitter - I mean he seems like a reasonable fit to me. Whether he'd be better worse or equal to Ryan Lowe say or Kevin Nolan or whoever the twitterati cry for - to me seems very - arbitrary. We're not getting anyone with experience who has never failed (apart from Lowe maybe but as pointed out he's had two jobs with resources greater respectively than he will here) and therefore, its a balance of experience but a mixed bag or less experience and baggage but almost certainly some failure (or a lot of it) in their future.

The only name that has come up where I absolutely bristle at the thought is Campbell - but mainly because he's odious and can be divisive and feels far too close to the Keith Hill 'its all about me' school of management which feels like the absolute wrong thing now. Someone who quietly gets on with it in the background and doesn't create waves would appear the way forward - to me at least.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:56 pm

i have no idea who is the best manager of the lot for us, but I note the strong sentiments against Campbell. What exactly did he do to warrant this? What I have noted is that he has managed some really poor sides which he inherited..given basket to carry water. I carry no brief for him but why are we so strongly against him?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:12 pm

He did well at Macclesfield. Not so well at Southend. His record alone would make me wary of hiring him and paying compensation too would be madness imo.

It's a personal thing but I listen to the guy and he doesn't come across as a deep thinker, much as i think he tries to, but rather self indulgent with a huge ego. I could be wrong though. If he gets the job, like anyone else, he'll start with my full support.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:12 pm
He did well at Macclesfield. Not so well at Southend. His record alone would make me wary of hiring him and paying compensation too would be madness imo.

It's a personal thing but I listen to the guy and he doesn't come across as a deep thinker, much as i think he tries to, but rather self indulgent with a huge ego. I could be wrong though. If he gets the job, like anyone else, he'll start with my full support.
I'd say he sounds a few sandwiches short of a picnic!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:32 pm

Re Campbell - as ‘Sol’id as a job he did at Macc I am hopeful we can attract someone who has worked higher or got teams promoted at this level. Evatt is the exception but again he sounds like a man who put a stamp on on a club and got them promoted from the outset. Campbell’s CV doesn’t have it. There are stories about his ego that worry me as well - particularly when he hasn’t done anything to warrant a big ego managerial wise. I’m fairly ignorant to Southend’s situation last season - they were shitter than us at one point, why?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I saw the replies to Heckingbottom on twitter and all were negative in the extreme...I wonder what some expect.
Aye. One bloke - nothing wrong with him per se, but perhaps an example - seemed to doubt Heckingbottom's right to be anywhere near "our great club".

That'd be the club that in the last five seasons has:
• played 218 league games
• won less than a quarter of them (53, of which 25 were in Parky's promotion season)
• lost just shy of half of them (107)
• gained less than a point per game (205), even if you ignore the 12pt penalty (217) and DESPITE GETTING PROMOTED IN THAT TIME. Outside that promotion season (I know...) we've averaged 0.69 ppg.

Oh and we're in embargo with the sort of squad numbers that could fit in a Zafira.

So yeah, great club, which I love very much. And as I say, plenty of headroom to improve. But I don't think we can be turning our noses up...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:16 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:56 pm
i have no idea who is the best manager of the lot for us, but I note the strong sentiments against Campbell. What exactly did he do to warrant this? What I have noted is that he has managed some really poor sides which he inherited..given basket to carry water. I carry no brief for him but why are we so strongly against him?
Sol did a remarkable job at Macclesfield but has always been an abrasive character who does what's best for himself - witness his moonlight flit from Spurs to Arsenal. Time has not mellowed him much - he made some loud protestations about running for Mayor of London - and while I admire his determination to start at the bottom (perhaps enforced by a lack of opportunity further up), I share BWFCi's concern that his ego might not be what's best for the club right now.

I could be wrong, and if he comes I'd get behind him. (I've got behind every BWFC manager, at least initially; the only one who appointment made me sad was Megson, but I didn't call for his head immediately or for quite a while thereafter.) It'd certainly be a more interesting appointment than, say, Gary Bowyer, although Bowyer does have a D4 promotion on his CV. But I wouldn't be as confident and I would have more worries than with some other contenders.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:09 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I saw the replies to Heckingbottom on twitter and all were negative in the extreme...I wonder what some expect.
Aye. One bloke - nothing wrong with him per se, but perhaps an example - seemed to doubt Heckingbottom's right to be anywhere near "our great club".

That'd be the club that in the last five seasons has:
• played 218 league games
• won less than a quarter of them (53, of which 25 were in Parky's promotion season)
• lost just shy of half of them (107)
• gained less than a point per game (205), even if you ignore the 12pt penalty (217) and DESPITE GETTING PROMOTED IN THAT TIME. Outside that promotion season (I know...) we've averaged 0.69 ppg.

Oh and we're in embargo with the sort of squad numbers that could fit in a Zafira.

So yeah, great club, which I love very much. And as I say, plenty of headroom to improve. But I don't think we can be turning our noses up...
Indeed. I think some can't see that we're going down to league 2 with very few players. Its questionable how many players we will have contracted who'd be considered good players at that level. We've no money and need to start again so to speak. Whilst as you rightly say there is an opportunity here its not a straightforward one and certainly a mammoth task.

I'd take whoever we can get apart from Campbell and David Lee. Because frankly appointing a 50 odd year old coach from inside the club is the sort of thing that desperate clubs do and it usually ends in more desperation and Sol is well, completely off his rocker and IMO the epitome of what we don't need. I'd be ok with Bowyer or Heckingbottom or Evatt or Lowe or even someone like Steven Reid- in an ideal world a young up and coming desperate for it manager is the right fit IMO. What we cannot afford to do is get a manager who isn't comfortable with the world we'll be living and shopping in. Don't oversell it or we'll have the same trouble we've had for years.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Sol Campbell has a huge multi million pound property empire -- I'd hazard a guess he has more £££ than FV
We need someone who is 100% committed, brilliant and inspirational .... I don't think Sol Campbell fulfills any of this criteria
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

TheSwishyCow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Ian Evatt

Post by TheSwishyCow » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:38 pm

I was walking past the ground yesterday and im 99% sure I spotted Ian Evatt with Andrew Gartside and Tobias make of that what you will

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Ian Evatt

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:23 pm

TheSwishyCow wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:38 pm
I was walking past the ground yesterday and im 99% sure I spotted Ian Evatt with Andrew Gartside and Tobias make of that what you will
Hmm. Interesting first post. Great user name though!

TheSwishyCow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TheSwishyCow » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Yeah, just thought I'd let you guys know, was defo him

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:05 pm

TheSwishyCow wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:23 pm
Yeah, just thought I'd let you guys know, was defo him
I dont think I'd recognise one of those guys you mentioned, never mind all 3

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Aye, I wouldn’t know them if I was sat in a taxi with them - and I’ve watched an interview with Evatt

In other gossip, Nixon claims Heckingbottom has got another job

TheSwishyCow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TheSwishyCow » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:23 pm

No gossip fellas, time will tell, cant have you all losing sleep over big sol

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:19 am

Going to burn up the table with a Zafira full of players, that cars got form dontchaknow.

Ibahjanner
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Ibahjanner » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:22 am

Argyle fan here in peace and just some thoughts on the rumours surrounding Ryan Lowe. The first thing is that twelve months ago we were in the same situation with lots of rumours but nothing tangible. We later found out that he turned up at the interview with schuey and stated we are a pair and that has been the dogma ever since. Ryan is very much the front man whereas schuey is the quiet one in the background. So theres the first snag for you will they move as a pair will they split. I have read you are after a head coach if that's correct where does schuey fit into it.
There is much for him to be interested in the position like location and facilities but does he want to be known as a person getting teams out of the bottom league or does he wish to push on. As I said he is very much the front man of the pair.
Yes I can hear you saying ah but we have and can give him a better chance of doing it. Maybe. You certainly have the facilities that many teams would dream of and theoretically with the hotel the facilities to bring in outward income, but dont write off Argyle. People say about our catchment area etc etc but I would also suggest look into what's happening at Argyle starting with the chairman who has sunk 15 million into the club over the last few years not as loans but by increasing share numbers. This sum includes the rebuilding of the grandstand to give non matchday income. Then look at the board of directors he has been bringing in people like Andrew Parkinson (ex liverpool) Neil Dewsnip (ex Everton and English fa) trevor east ( ex sky and ITV). It is a team with loads of experience. I have pointed this out to show that whilst you would be a draw things are not so straight cut as just been there so can do it again there are good reasons for him to stick.

Whatever happens and whatever if he is in the frame I wish you luck for the coming season whenever and however it might br

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:31 am

I really wouldn’t get worked up about anything until it becomes obvious who our target is. We don’t know what we are after - it’s a new management team at the top for us. They might want a standard manager / assistant yet, we don’t know!