BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:01 am
Given the Pratley Manoeuvre, I would have thought we can at least appeal to have him taken off our embargo limit. However, if we're paying his wages it will presumably still go towards the salary cap, which is fair enough - it's a fiscal limit, not a sporting handicap.

I believe he's exempt from the salary cap due to his age.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:57 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:36 pm
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:01 am
Given the Pratley Manoeuvre, I would have thought we can at least appeal to have him taken off our embargo limit. However, if we're paying his wages it will presumably still go towards the salary cap, which is fair enough - it's a fiscal limit, not a sporting handicap.
I believe he's exempt from the salary cap due to his age.
Ah yeah - the under-21s thing. Glad that all these rules are so transparent...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:00 pm

A quick bit of number-crunching on the pre-season "minutes" so far. We're 13 days from the opening games proper but I think we can safely guess the first XI, as they're the ones that are racking up the time on pitch – the top XI here.
Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 15.58.58.png
Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 15.58.58.png (220.08 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
(A few explanations: the greener the number the closer to 90, the redder the closer to 0; italics are substitute appearances, barring the wholesale half-time changes in the first two games; grey numbers are for officially unconfirmed trialists.)

It's not an exact science but it looks strongly like Evatt is heading for an XI of
Crellin; Santos-Delaney-Taft; Jones-Comley-Sarce-Gordon; Doyler-Fonz.

• Greenidge was hotly tipped but hasn't appeared for the last two: injury?
• Baptiste's absence at Accy might keep Delaney in the middle – for now
• Hickman is pushing Jones for RWB, or maybe the Welshman isn't up to puff just yet
• Crawford could also do with lasting longer than an hour
• White seems to be the primary standby for central midfield.

And while it's gratifying to see that seven Academy graduates have played in three or more games, their lack of minutes suggest that some of them (Graham, King-Harms, Senior) might be joining Thomason in getting work-experience minutes elsewhere – with Darcy and Brockbank staying to fight for their places.

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:31 am

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:00 pm
A quick bit of number-crunching on the pre-season "minutes" so far. We're 13 days from the opening games proper but I think we can safely guess the first XI, as they're the ones that are racking up the time on pitch – the top XI here.
Screenshot 2020-08-23 at 15.58.58.png
(A few explanations: the greener the number the closer to 90, the redder the closer to 0; italics are substitute appearances, barring the wholesale half-time changes in the first two games; grey numbers are for officially unconfirmed trialists.)

It's not an exact science but it looks strongly like Evatt is heading for an XI of
Crellin; Santos-Delaney-Taft; Jones-Comley-Sarce-Gordon; Doyler-Fonz.

• Greenidge was hotly tipped but hasn't appeared for the last two: injury?
• Baptiste's absence at Accy might keep Delaney in the middle – for now
• Hickman is pushing Jones for RWB, or maybe the Welshman isn't up to puff just yet
• Crawford could also do with lasting longer than an hour
• White seems to be the primary standby for central midfield.

And while it's gratifying to see that seven Academy graduates have played in three or more games, their lack of minutes suggest that some of them (Graham, King-Harms, Senior) might be joining Thomason in getting work-experience minutes elsewhere – with Darcy and Brockbank staying to fight for their places.
Wooohooo cracking analysis mate thanks!!!
BWFC Fan since 2002, from Santiago, Chile.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:29 am

Forgotten man Liam Edwards gets kind words from the boss - but equally, no guarantee of first-team involvement:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... s-fitness/

“Liam got a very nasty injury and he’s not quite there yet in terms of playing. But the important thing for any player who is injured is that they feel part of the group and I made sure that he came with us to Loughborough and that he has travelled with the team on matchdays. There is time for him to recover properly and then we can move on from there. But I have been delighted to see that the lads are rallying round, making sure nobody feels isolated. It is turning in[to] a tightly-knit group.”

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Begone, pesky leftfield question marks. Here's the squad as is, judging by minutes on-pitch in friendlies (see above).
lineup.png
lineup.png (133 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
Reasonable to guess Bright Amoateng incoming up top. Darcy could be the alternative No10 if we hire another "central" midfielder, although I'd be surprised if the much-discussed Charlie Adam takes the presumably vicious wage-slash necessary. Maybe Evatt was mind-gaming his players by suggesting he'd like another four, but if he's genuine, maybe one more will get shipped out; I'd still guess Faal myself – not that I have anything against Mo, but I suspect Evatt will have other plans. Personally I think it might be a young loanee later in the window, but there's still some reputable strikers available on free transfers.

I've also added their ages, and it seems a healthy spread to me.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:47 pm

I don't think its mind games, if I am honest. He wanted three before Politic's knee exploded, so wanting four after that made sense.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:19 pm

Today's stat attack: number of League minutes played by each squad member. I've included play-offs but not Cup games, which – while technically "senior" - are often half-reserve teams.
Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 12.04.32.png
Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 12.04.32.png (167.91 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
Thoughts? While we have a dozen or so League-experienced players, we have even more who - to adopt the positive message of the summer - will be itching to prove themselves. They should be surrounded by those who've seen it and sone it - or rather than surrounded, they'll be surrounding a strong spine: Baptiste, Sarce, Doyler & Fonz, while players like Reekz and Taft are hardly ingenues.

And to some extent experience is only part of it - Crawford is relatively low in numbers and Flash is brand new.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:14 pm

Good stuff again DSB. Crawford presumably has had a few games in Scotland too,to add to his experience.

I was saying to Bobo, formerly of this parish, only today that it's Evatt who helps one look at our squad in an optimistic manner. Hungry kids, proven goal scorers, experienced heads etc

Outsiders may have a different view. Has beens and never will bes amongst a collection of giants and nippy lads.

Undoubtedly, some wont make it but if this new approach to recruitment pays off, more will and hopefully at least 1 will be a star in the making/future cash cow for the club.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:43 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:14 pm
Crawford presumably has had a few games in Scotland too, to add to his experience.
Yeah, 200-odd. In some ways it's an arbitrary cut-off - Flash Gordon has 50-odd National League games, Tom White 60-odd, Reiss Greenidge 40-odd in Scandiwegia. But others have next to nowt: apart from 80 minutes across two EFL Trophy games, Jak Hickman's never played above the sixth tier.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:58 pm

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:43 pm
Yeah, 200-odd. In some ways it's an arbitrary cut-off - Flash Gordon has 50-odd National League games, Tom White 60-odd, Reiss Greenidge 40-odd in Scandiwegia. But others have next to nowt: apart from 80 minutes across two EFL Trophy games, Jak Hickman's never played above the sixth tier.
The midfield 3 and front 2 have plenty of experience (aside from my caveat later). It's the defence where there are question marks, which is why Baptiste could be really important.

Taft, Delaney and Santos are an imposing three but they're not that experienced and they'll have two young 'keepers behind them.

What worries me is that we are asking the least experienced midfielder of the three, Comley, to drop back when needed. I'd have liked to have someone in that back third of the pitch with at least 200 starts under their belt to be able to take control of the rudder when things get choppy. Someone who could start almost every game.

It's my main concern in terms of organisation of the team next term. Comley wouldn't worry me if we had that reliable rock at the back, but maybe it'll all be fine :conf:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:47 am

Comley's played often enough in League Two now to know what he's doing, surely?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 pm

It’s the keeper that worries me. Would prefer a more experienced number one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:52 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 pm
I'd rather have the best keeper we can get regardless of age. I think centre half and centre mid are the key areas for experience....where younger lads can contribute but as we've seen often are found out.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:25 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:47 am
Comley's played often enough in League Two now to know what he's doing, surely?
He should know his role and position, but you need someone at the back who has the experience and understanding to manage a game. Sometimes it's the goalkeeper, sometimes a centreback and sometimes a mid - but all good teams have someone who will take control of a nervy side and see them through rough patches. Usually that comes from experience, rather than some natural ability. I'd say it's especially important with how IE likes to play. It might be that we have it in the squad, I've no idea, but it's not currently obvious who will do that for us.

Liam Cooper at Leeds would be a good example. Not the most talented player in the world, but he can drag their side out of a rut. Especially his relationship with Kalvin Phillips, where he's able to get the lad to sit in for 5-10 minutes when needed to calm things down. It's one reason why the whole "Bielsa Ball" thing works so smoothly.

Like I say, no idea if we will have that or not - just a concern for me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 am

Me, for SquadNumbers.com, on who might wear what number. I like to stick to a brief.

https://www.squadnumbers.com/2020/09/01 ... ean-sheet/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:57 am

Good article and your picks make sense. If his social media post is anything to go by Hickman will likely demand '69'...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Nice.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:52 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
I'd rather have the best keeper we can get regardless of age.
That doesn't answer Dibble's concern at all. As it happens, it's one I share.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:52 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
I'd rather have the best keeper we can get regardless of age.
That doesn't answer Dibble's concern at all. As it happens, it's one I share.
I guess without seeing the lad play or anyone else its all guesswork. But a 38 year old keeper making mistakes is same as a 23 year old one. Experience is relevant but not if you're no good. And I'd say we just need to trust in what we're trying to do. We had Remi who was a great shotstopper but prone to error - I think we're fishing in a pool where you have to either go for promise or dodgy experience in the main....