Would you get an iFollow season ticket?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Would you get an iFollow season ticket?

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:31 pm

Yep, a big away following from e.g. us, Weds, Sunderland is a big deal for those clubs. It's not hard to see the logic of an argument that the same applies to streaming. We're hosting the game, we should get the money.

And the counter argument, they're our fans, you're not physically hosting them, we should get the money.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:20 pm

They’re still getting the revenue from our fans who are showing up at, and inevitably selling out, their away end. Those fans are, as Pru points out, physically showing up at Accrington and making use of their facilities.

The streaming set-up isn’t the same as the physical ticket model, but it is the universal for all clubs regardless of size. It’s just the bigger clubs make more revenue from it.

I take issue with Holt claiming that football games being played at Accrington are their ‘IP’. If anyone could claim property on the rights to stream matches it’s surely the organisers of the competitions.

On a related point, I think it’s only a matter of time before the Premier League sever ties with all third party broadcasters and set up their own streaming platform. I wonder whether the EFL might be able to get in on such an arrangement?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:59 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:20 pm
On a related point, I think it’s only a matter of time before the Premier League sever ties with all third party broadcasters and set up their own streaming platform. I wonder whether the EFL might be able to get in on such an arrangement?
If they were lucky enough to get the chance, they'd probably balls it up. When the PL was set up, as a sot they offered the FL a %age of the TV-rights money in perpetuity – can't remember but I think it might have been as high as 25%. The EFL rejected the idea and then signed up with ITV Digital...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:59 pm
The_Gun wrote:
If they were lucky enough to get the chance, they'd probably balls it up. When the PL was set up, as a sot they offered the FL a %age of the TV-rights money in perpetuity – can't remember but I think it might have been as high as 25%. The EFL rejected the idea and then signed up with ITV Digital...
The PL would have ended perpetuity a long time ago...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:08 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:59 pm
The_Gun wrote:
The PL would have ended perpetuity a long time ago...
Almost certainly. But they didn't have to.