Cam v Croal a Punting Challenge: League 2, Cambridge v Bolton (A) Saturday October 24 14:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Cam v Croal a Punting Challenge: League 2, Cambridge v Bolton (A) Saturday October 24 14:00

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:18 pm

Good point, good performance sums it up.

This is a qualified opinion because I only really watched the second half, but I thought Santos was outstanding. He effectively nullified the league's current top goalscorer, winning practically everything and never out of position. It's very pleasing to see such improvement after his horrendous start to the season. I thought Sarcevic gave us a glimpse of the player we hoped he would be; more influencial higher up the pitch, and there were were occasions when he and Tutte combined well to press effectively in the area just ahead of our penalty area. I agree that Crawford is making it difficult to win the midfield battle, though. Rather than a lack of effort or willingness to defend, he seems to me to be struggling to understand his role out of possession. He often looks to be in two minds about where he needs to be and what he needs to do.

Crellin is obviously now a problem. If I were to be charitable, I suppose I could note that there were players bearing down over his shoulder and there was a very heavy wind, bputting it mildly he needed to do better. He just isn't convincing at all at present.

For now, I'm just very relieved we're finally seeing progress.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Cam v Croal a Punting Challenge: League 2, Cambridge v Bolton (A) Saturday October 24 14:00

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Much much better. We looked like a good team today and never dropped our heads when Crellin messed up, and boy did he. That was basic catch the ball stuff. What was he thinking?

Anyway, won't let that take away from the performance. Brocky I thought did great. Always running, positive, looking to attack. We lost that when Gordon came on. We look so much better with Tutte anchoring, and the midfield is starting to look like a good unit. They dictated most of the game. Love to know how many passes for our goal. Seemed at least 10 from defence to Sarc, A lovely team goal. Evatt, maybe you know what you are doing. Just Maybe although you have to convince me why you need so many defenders on the bench? Progress.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:28 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:20 pm
Much much better. We looked like a good team today and never dropped our heads when Crellin messed up, and boy did he. That was basic catch the ball stuff. What was he thinking?

Anyway, won't let that take away from the performance. Brocky I thought did great. Always running, positive, looking to attack. We lost that when Gordon came on. We look so much better with Tutte anchoring, and the midfield is starting to look like a good unit. They dictated most of the game. Love to know how many passes for our goal. Seemed at least 10 from defence to Sarc, A lovely team goal. Evatt, maybe you know what you are doing. Just Maybe although you have to convince me why you need so many defenders on the bench? Progress.

I think on the showing so far Evatt's got the Brockbank to left wing-back decision right. It can probably only be a temporary sticking plaster rather than a long-term solution, but he's put in a couple of decent performances in that position and I feel we look more settled with him there.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:31 pm

Quite a few good performances there. Sarcevic particularly, looking like the player we knew he could be.

Big worry for me is still Baptiste. Last time around I put his erratic performances due to being played out of position. His distribution is woeful.

I am going to cut Crellin some slack though. It was a dreadful mistake and he certainly needs to work on his aerial game but he's a good shot stopper and hopefully he'll learn from that.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Cambridge.jpg
Cambridge.jpg (69.15 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Maybe their AMC had a bit of an off-day, but look at where he was getting the ball compared to say - Crawford....We seem to be trying to get Crawford box to box, their guy hardly touched it twice in his own half. We don't have the defensive solidity generally to allow Crawford that luxury. He's poor at tackling and generally tries to hold up rather than tackle someone.

Our MF did a fair amount more with the ball today than theirs in terms of passes, touches and tackles. All in all I'm happy with that performance, just not the result.

And Mr Crellin, give yer head a fecking shake.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:44 pm

I know that its League 2 and we are not getting the results that we expected, but I have to say the way Ian Evatt is trying to play, the passing & movement is much better than anything we have seen for many a year.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:13 pm

It’s early days and hopefully we are turning the corner. Having two tall and strong wing backs helps a lot as it gives us quicker out balls than the pissing it about with the back 3 that we saw earlier in the season. Midfield 3 all good on ball and delf is a quality link man at this level.

Brockbank played really well. Santos was good, Sarcevic and delf as well. I thought Baptiste was fine other than the mental tackle he put in on the edge of the D.

Crellin has been told to man up by Evatt - not convinced publicly slating the lad will help. He’s number one with no competition as far as I can see. Time for Alexander to get a game?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:29 pm

I wouldn't drop him just yet. Evatt's publicly told him he needs to "man up" so he should get the opportunity to respond. He needs to be more commanding though, and quickly. No doubt about it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:31 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:54 pm
Well earned point that. I think most played well, and but for that keeper we’d be celebrating a win.
And the ref...... :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:40 pm

And the ref/Lino, aye. Seen it again now.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:49 pm

BTW how come there were home fans in today? Busy stand opposite the camera and the chap on the commentary said they had fans in at one point, unless I am imagining it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:49 pm
BTW how come there were home fans in today? Busy stand opposite the camera and the chap on the commentary said they had fans in at one point, unless I am imagining it.
I guess they were club officials, because they're definitely not allowed to have fans.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:00 pm

What a travesty it is that our first goal was disallowed. It was a great move.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:01 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:00 pm
What a travesty it is that our first goal was disallowed. It was a great move.
The goal we scored was superb.

About 10 passes and then a clinical finish into the bottom left hand corner.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:15 pm

offside1.png
offside1.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 1801 times
This is when the ball was played through to Brockbank.

Abysmal.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:41 pm

Evatt “I watched it back this time to check I was right” 🤣

Not sure “man up” is going to win him any plaudits with mental health charities at the moment, as much as I understand what he means - ‘not in the reserves now lad’ was I think the intended sentiment.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:05 pm

I don’t like bawling out young players in public. He will have known he made a howler. Not sure that it’s a good case to pile on pressure.

Doyle does have a hamstring strain it seems.

I feel we are a keeper and striker light still..

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:31 pm

There a fantastic video of the full move for our equaliser on Twitter, which I would post here if only I could fathom how to do it.

It's really very, very good. Fourteen passes in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:45 pm

We had some good play in the first half as well. Now Doyle’s injured we will probably lay it on a plate for people to miss!! 😂