We three kings of Orient (A)re. Saturday 31 @ 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We three kings of Orient (A)re. Saturday 31 @ 15:00

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:11 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:58 pm
I like Evatt and I really want him to succeed, and he's apologised for that performance today but we all know that he will continue to play the same abysmal under performing players i.e. Crellin & Baptiste. He's mentioned being toothless up front post match but is that really surprising - WTF why did we sign so many CB's & WB's but only one out & out striker, this is down to you Evatt & Phoenix, the recruitment strategy was abysmal / shocking and is the reason being this truly awful start to the season. Santos, Baptiste,Taft, Greenidge, Gordon, Mascoll, Kioso, Hickman, Jones, why bring in so many defenders but only sign one true out & out striker in Doyle (I'm ignoring Miller as I don't know what type of striker he is or if he will ever play).

We have 4 or 5 decent league 2 players but the rest are very average at best - Crellin should be in the Bolton Boys Federation, he's just not a professional level goalkeeper he's a boy caught in the headlights & Baptiste should be playing walking geriatric football he's like a 60 year old grandad....but Evatt will I've no doubt keep playing them.

Our recruitment started off great with Doyle, Sarce & Fonz but then went down hill with every signing and has been amateur & i'll judged at best, the squad is so un balanced - and I'm still really, really amazed that we brought in Gordon & Mascoll for the LWB slot but Evatt plays Brockbank in that role (and I have never known a manager to have 2 x LWB on the bench) its laughable, and why no striker on the bench today but yet again 2 x LWBs. why not have Amoateng on the bench today ?

Yeah the desire to sign half a dozen average wing backs and a ton of shite centre halves looks very misguided now.

We are at least one striker shy even if they were all fit. And probably a good attacking mid or forward type short too.

But fundamentally the problems for me aren’t even quality of players. They aren’t playing for the shirt. They can’t be a happy bunch. It’s a mess but one I think a decent manager could do far better in.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:20 pm

Well, that went well.

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:09 pm
I started off with text commentary on Bolton News........and then watched two six nations rugby matches on TV when their third goal went in. Enough's enough.... .
Could have been worse, our (so-called) PM could have been on the telly this evening telling us we are going into lockdown again for another four weeks at least. Still, at least that didn't happen.

BTW Bolton/Mansfield, two struggling teams at the foot of the lowest division is a game made in heaven for me, must get along on Tuesday to watch...

Oh, hang on, there was this ugly bloke on telly this evening just before Come Dancing saying something about I can't do that....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:03 pm

Crellin is conceding half of the shots on target. He’s a big fecking problem.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:21 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:03 pm
Crellin is conceding half of the shots on target. He’s a big fecking problem.
Yes almost every shot on goal goes in - Crellin isn't even NW Counties level, we may as well play 11 outfield players and just stick a cone between the posts - as I've said I like Evatt and want him to succeed but his judgement of players is appalling IMO, he talks the talk but does absolutely feck all about it and still plays the same players making the same mistakes week after week - perhaps its now time for Evatt to 'man up' ?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:38 am

Matt Gilks was a good 'keeper and he clearly rates Crellin. I don't think he's as bad as some are making out, but he is currently way off the level we as a team need. I said when he showed up that you can't have a cobbled together defence AND an inexperienced goalkeeper without it breaking down. I stand by that. He has had some decent displays. He is generally decent one-on-one and his reflexes are okay. The trouble is that 90% of goalkeeping is positional play and controlling a zone of the pitch and he is useless at that. A solid defence would nurse him through his learning period by cutting down the number of long shots he has to face and dealing with the aerial stuff. At the minute we are the perfect storm of shitness. This disorganised rabble of a defence needs a solid keeper and the dodgy young keeper needs solidity in front of him.

It might be that he'd have looked better in another League Two team with better organisation in front of him. He'd still have made errors, but he'd have made fewer due to having to make fewer decisions. It's the mental side of the game he lacks and it's exactly the issue that many of us expected to have. You have to assume that Evatt understood that and just thought he'd have his side better organised by now. He's then dug the keeper out in public to try and hide his own failings.

Basically, at the minute, Crellin's time here sums up the poor job Evatt is doing. He's failing to protect the lad on and off the field.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:07 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:00 pm
So we've gone from we can see his ideas to get rid because the team didn't turn up or do what he asked?

I give up with this shit. Too many people expecting miracles and instant results.

We're never going to go anywhere as we have too many fans who think we're this great football team that should walk over the opponents.
I'm not one that wants him sacked and I'm not one who thinks this group of players is anywhere close to that level - but Evatt is worrying me. I'm a random bloke who watches the game on iplayer and if even I can see where we are going to be weak going into the next game then the boss should too. We had to deal with our issues in "the second 18 yard box" for this game and we didn't even try. There have been too many instances of this now, where we have glaring issues and Evatt seemingly just doesn't get it. He hangs the result on various other factors.

I still think he can work out here, but I think he's feeding into doubts we all had. We have the players to fix the issues that are staring us in the face, we are just not using them. I think Evatt is too caught up in his playing philosophy to notice simple tactical issues at the moment. It is "if X, then Y" stuff. If Evatt wants to talk about himself as an elite coach then he has to fix this. At the moment he could have no complaints if they sacked him, even though I hope they show patience. Those people who didn't want him in the first place are being given a lot of ammo.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:59 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:07 am
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:00 pm
So we've gone from we can see his ideas to get rid because the team didn't turn up or do what he asked?

I give up with this shit. Too many people expecting miracles and instant results.

We're never going to go anywhere as we have too many fans who think we're this great football team that should walk over the opponents.
I'm not one that wants him sacked and I'm not one who thinks this group of players is anywhere close to that level - but Evatt is worrying me. I'm a random bloke who watches the game on iplayer and if even I can see where we are going to be weak going into the next game then the boss should too. We had to deal with our issues in "the second 18 yard box" for this game and we didn't even try. There have been too many instances of this now, where we have glaring issues and Evatt seemingly just doesn't get it. He hangs the result on various other factors.

I still think he can work out here, but I think he's feeding into doubts we all had. We have the players to fix the issues that are staring us in the face, we are just not using them. I think Evatt is too caught up in his playing philosophy to notice simple tactical issues at the moment. It is "if X, then Y" stuff. If Evatt wants to talk about himself as an elite coach then he has to fix this. At the moment he could have no complaints if they sacked him, even though I hope they show patience. Those people who didn't want him in the first place are being given a lot of ammo.
All this tactical stuff is broadly irrelevant. The players aren’t playing for the manager or the club. The biggest problem is having a team that wants to play together and fight for each other.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:59 am
All this tactical stuff is broadly irrelevant. The players aren’t playing for the manager or the club. The biggest problem is having a team that wants to play together and fight for each other.
That irrelevant stuff cost us 3 goals yesterday. It should have been more.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:17 am

Tactics and formations can definitely be over thought but I'm not having it that these players dont want to work hard or work for each other.

Some of them clearly aren't good enough and almost all of them, aren't clear on what their specific job is. That's down to Evatt and Phoenix.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:17 am
Tactics and formations can definitely be over thought but I'm not having it that these players dont want to work hard or work for each other.

Some of them clearly aren't good enough and almost all of them, aren't clear on what their specific job is. That's down to Evatt and Phoenix.
Yeah I'd be much more inclined to agree with this assessment.

Saying the players aren't trying is lazy, and from what I can see, also bollocks.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:36 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Spot on HG

It was obvious to many before the season started that we were very top heavy on defenders & very light up front - Evatt & Phoenix did nothing about it and continued to sign as many WB's as possible of which none are currently starting taking up valuable squad places - they seriously neglected the top half of he pitch and then panicked & brought in Miller & Arthur who no one had even heard of and I'm not sure either are out & out centre forwards ?. We also needed a proper tough tackling ball winner in midfield as the midfield is just full of small powder puff tippy tappy type players and it looks like we regularly get bullied on the pitch - the overall recruitment & shape of the squad IMO is terrible and I really would like to know who's decision it was to sign some of these players Evatt or Phoenix ?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:37 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Saying the players aren't trying is lazy, and from what I can see, also bollocks.
I agree, they were still pushing and attacking in the last few minutes. They just don't know what they're doing. We need a manager who simplifies things and drills clearly defined roles into them.
This Evatt 'project' always sounded too good to be true and has now been exposed as the emperor's New clothes.
He and phoenix need to clear their desks.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:44 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I'm in this camp too. I think they're trying and running, just not in a very organised way. We quite often put chains of passes together (even yesterday) but they don't often lead anywhere, and defensively the midfield feels disconnected from the defenders.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:54 am

It’s not me saying the players aren’t running or just can’t be bothered. It’s more there is zero team spirit. I don’t see a lot of fight.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:02 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:54 am
It’s not me saying the players aren’t running or just can’t be bothered. It’s more there is zero team spirit. I don’t see a lot of fight.
I agree with BWFCI on this, there does generally appear to be a lack of team spirit and there is definitely a lack of fight all over the pitch, the players don't appear to be helping each other or fighting for each other but I suspect that this is down to the fact that a lot of the players just aren't good enough.

Does this Moneyball approach take into account a players character, determination, spirit etc ?, I would say that it appears not to.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:10 am

I saw quite a lot of "fight" for 2.5 games prior to Orient. Even second half v Bradford. Defenders were diving in front of shots etc. Didn't see much yesterday, they went back to shrugging at each other.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:42 am

It was only a few days ago we were commenting favourably on Delaney and Baptiste running, outraged, towards Mascoll to chastise him for switching off. That to me doesn't suggest a total absence of fight, but I do detect an air of resignation sometimes. I think it's a lack of confidence more than anything. Confidence in themselves, confidence in the tactical approach, confidence in their manager.

It doesn't help that expectations were jacked up in pre-season. It was a foolish thing to do given it was a completely new squad of players, and with a good number having little or no league experience.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:25 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:10 am
I saw quite a lot of "fight" for 2.5 games prior to Orient. Even second half v Bradford. Defenders were diving in front of shots etc. Didn't see much yesterday, they went back to shrugging at each other.
Yep was really weird. From minute one nobody was looking for the ball. Thought it was lethargy from a long coach journey at first but it was definitely a lack of giving a shit, which given the last few games I found really odd.

Big performance Tuesday and all could be forgiven.

I can’t see how we resolve this keeper issue though. There’s no way one of Evatts two coaches is suddenly becoming a player and chucking an 18 year old in is not the answer. I’d sign a free one and try to get them up to speed, or put the feelers out for a loan one.

Incidentally Iles has run a story about Kioso being recalled - I assumed that could only be done in January but it appears not? Can we loan players now?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:30 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:25 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:10 am
Yep was really weird. From minute one nobody was looking for the ball. Thought it was lethargy from a long coach journey at first but it was definitely a lack of giving a shit, which given the last few games I found really odd.

Big performance Tuesday and all could be forgiven.

I can’t see how we resolve this keeper issue though. There’s no way one of Evatts two coaches is suddenly becoming a player and chucking an 18 year old in is not the answer. I’d sign a free one and try to get them up to speed, or put the feelers out for a loan one.

Incidentally Iles has run a story about Kioso being recalled - I assumed that could only be done in January but it appears not? Can we loan players now?

They can recall him if the loan contract dictates they can, but we can't sign a replacement because the transfer window is closed.