Evatt has a bag of Revells to contend with. Who'll turn up? Stevenage Away 21/11/2020 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Evatt has a bag of Revells to contend with. Who'll turn up? Stevenage Away 21/11/2020 3pm

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:47 pm

I think if we hadn't have conceded when we did the second half would've been more comfortable. Stepping out onto the pitch with a two-goal cushion and a clean sheet should've given us the confidence to push on.

It's very pleasing to see the introduction of organised pressing high up the pitch and also the winning of second balls (admittedly, it's easier to win the second ball when our goalkeeper isn't kicking his goal kicks into touch while aiming for the touchline). It's easier to see how effective Evatt's system can be when both of things things are entered into the equation.

It's similarly encouraging to see us making more intelligent, coordinated runs in advanced positions, probably a result of our players becoming more familiar with each other, but we still need to make better decisions as we go forward because I don't think we're creating enough clear-cut goal scoring opportunities as we should be. It could've cost us today and it could cost us in the future.

I'm beginning to like this team, though. Tutte and Sarce are particular favourites, and I'm starting to feel as assured in Santos and Delaney as I was in Wheater and Beevers. It feels like it's coming together.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Evatt has a bag of Revells to contend with. Who'll turn up? Stevenage Away 21/11/2020 3pm

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Not Delaneys best game today. Thought no Taft on the bench was somewhat odd - does Greenidge cover more positions?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:05 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:15 pm
Not Delaneys best game today. Thought no Taft on the bench was somewhat odd - does Greenidge cover more positions?
Greenidge is left-footed but he played on the right of the three in midweek. So yeah, I think Evatt regards him as cover for all three back-line positions. Certainly he’s been on the bench more than Taft since the current back-line settled in, eight “first-team” games ago.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Up to his error for their goal, I thought Delaney had been outstanding. He looked quite shaky afterwards though. The back 3 and Gilkes, seem to be improving their understanding each game. There are still heart in mouth moments with all of them but I expect that's pretty standard at this level of football.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:42 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 pm

Up to his error for their goal, I thought Delaney had been outstanding.
Until I watched it back today I thought he'd been fouled; now I'm just embarrassed for the lad. I think the last time I so one of our left backs get brushed aside that easily it'll have been Tim Ream.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:08 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Up to his error for their goal, I thought Delaney had been outstanding. He looked quite shaky afterwards though. The back 3 and Gilkes, seem to be improving their understanding each game. There are still heart in mouth moments with all of them but I expect that's pretty standard at this level of football.
On Delaney I think he's excellent in the air and strong when he is dealing with a centre forward. The problem is time and time again he's slow to react in that left channel and in a back three it potentially is a weakness. I do like him and would keep him in but the weakness is he switches off to runners and runs in behind a lot. In the box - he's a beast. But that channel - it worries me.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Ironically the goals that have come from that channel before the weekend was when he hasn't been there.

Crewe,
he had gone forward for an attack when the ball was lost by Darcy and Crawford was filling in.
2nd he was in the middle for the cross as White had gone over to defend, White failed to block the cross/shot and ultimately glass hands let it go through.

Mansfield, corner. Newcastle wasn't on the pitch. Salford clean sheet. Leyton Orient, guilty of giving free kick away in central position, other goals obviously came from other areas.

I would say your worry might be a little unnecessary as his direct responsibility for goals has been limited to 2 from the last 6 games he's played in. We've conceded 10 in those games.

I remember Marcos Alonso giving me the shits on the left. Shows what I know.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:08 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
On Delaney I think he's excellent in the air and strong when he is dealing with a centre forward. The problem is time and time again he's slow to react in that left channel and in a back three it potentially is a weakness. I do like him and would keep him in but the weakness is he switches off to runners and runs in behind a lot. In the box - he's a beast. But that channel - it worries me.
You see to me you have just described a league two centre half - Taft probably isn’t as strong defensively as Delaney but more mobile and adept on the ball. Think Delaneys centre half abilities keep the shirt for now. Jones on that side probably helps him.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:02 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:00 pm
Hopefully the start of a good week. This time next Saturday we could be right up there with the chasing pack. Evatt wins manager of the month then it all goes ttis up in December.
I see Evatt has been nominated for manager of the month, and the Dec tits up has started.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:35 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:02 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Hopefully the start of a good week. This time next Saturday we could be right up there with the chasing pack. Evatt wins manager of the month then it all goes ttis up in December.
I see Evatt has been nominated for manager of the month, and the Dec tits up has started.
Aye, was pretty likely, but we didn't have to start early on proving the curse.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:31 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:02 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
I see that Gilkes is also in the running for Player of the Month by dint of him keeping three clean sheets. If that's the metric then he must've been at fault for all six on Saturday too. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way