Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:23 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:47 pm
Saw that as well, ties in with this on Twitter

I wouldn't normally get excited about anonymous accounts posting transfer rumours but there's not much else to do right now...
This character (who confidently announced a fortnight ago that Crellin had gone) makes Nixon look like a straight-talking blabbermouth. "Something might happen soon - or won't. I believe it has legs. No hang on - the PLAYER has legs. Around two of them."

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:49 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:25 pm
I'm not ITK or owt, but an apparent reliable poster on WW has said today that 2 deals are done for another midfielder & a defender.

Perhaps they will sign in the next 24 hours ?, but the guy has said that the deals are done. We will obviously have to wait & see but it sounds encouraging.
Glad we're signing another defender. We're so short there..... :roll:
Perhaps this defender can actually defend though, maybe even organise & even win headers in both boxes - here's hoping !

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:11 pm

#AnnounceWheater

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:23 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:47 pm
Saw that as well, ties in with this on Twitter

I wouldn't normally get excited about anonymous accounts posting transfer rumours but there's not much else to do right now...
This character (who confidently announced a fortnight ago that Crellin had gone) makes Nixon look like a straight-talking blabbermouth. "Something might happen soon - or won't. I believe it has legs. No hang on - the PLAYER has legs. Around two of them."
You’ve got to feel for lads who need to create Twitter accounts like that to get attention.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:24 pm

^^ Bit in the paper, Sunday.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:24 pm

:lol:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Aye.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:46 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:25 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Aye.
:D

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:22 am

Disappointing if the rumours are true IMO, the two players apparently arriving are two inexperienced young lads with only a handful of league games between them, certainly no Craig Dawson.

Ben Jackson - left back from Huddersfield & Zach Elbouzedi - winger from Lincoln

Rumoured to be in the squad today.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:50 am

Are both under 21 and therefore don’t count towards the squad cap?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:00 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:50 am
Are both under 21 and therefore don’t count towards the squad cap?
Dibs, I think the lad Jackson is and can also play left midfield - Elbouzedi is 22 so will count, he's apparently a very pacy winger.

I've no issue with them as players, I'm just disappointed that they are loans, we are not going up this season so if we are bringing young players in with potential, let's sign 'out of contract' players permanently who we can develop so that they are ready to go next season.

With Declan John at least he's out of contract, so he could join permanently at the end of the season (however doubtful) but these two look to be on long term contracts, so all we are doing is helping their respective clubs in the future.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:01 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:22 am
Disappointing if the rumours are true IMO, the two players apparently arriving are two inexperienced young lads with only a handful of league games between them, certainly no Craig Dawson.

Ben Jackson - left back from Huddersfield & Zach Elbouzedi - winger from Lincoln

What would you expect? We are in league two. I don’t think we will sign or be able to sign substantially better than we already have.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:01 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:

What would you expect? We are in league two. I don’t think we will sign or be able to sign substantially better than we already have.
See previous post.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:05 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:03 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:01 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:

See previous post.
How many out of contracts will be fit to play games now?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 am

Where have I said that they need to be 'fit to play games now' ?. I said that we are not going up this season so why not target youngsters with potential who we could get fit, play the odd game but the real aim is that they would be ready for next season.

IMO we should be planning for next season now, so I can't see the point of bringing in 2 young players on loan.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:17 am

Let’s see - it’s a rumour at the moment. Evatt likes to keep things under the radar and stick them straight in the side though so we will know in a few hours!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:04 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 am
Where have I said that they need to be 'fit to play games now' ?. I said that we are not going up this season so why not target youngsters with potential who we could get fit, play the odd game but the real aim is that they would be ready for next season.

IMO we should be planning for next season now, so I can't see the point of bringing in 2 young players on loan.
You can sign players in the summer for next season and be doing the groundwork on that now. There is no point signing someone now who you don’t believe improves your first 11 immediately. Pay someone for half a season to get fit and enjoy the hotel? We are in league two. It’s just not financially sensible.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:17 am

What if there are 'out of contract' players out there who can improve our first 11 but just aren't currently fit enough ?, surely its better to sign them now and get them integrated into the set up, used to the style of play etc. so that they can hit the ground running next season, instead of bringing in players on loan who will go back to their clubs at the end of he season and we are back to square one.

If Evatt still believes that he can get us promoted then I have absolutely no issue with bringing loads of players in on loan to try & get us up, but I think most think that the promotion boat has now sailed, so for me why not target decent 'out of contract' players who may otherwise not have been available to a league 2 side i.e. Kieran Lee and bring them in now, play a few games in a month or so when fit, who will be ready to go next season for the promotion push.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:21 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:17 am
What if there are 'out of contract' players out there who can improve our first 11 but just aren't currently fit enough ?, surely its better to sign them now and get them integrated into the set up, used to the style of play etc. so that they can hit the ground running next season, instead of bringing in players on loan who will go back to their clubs at the end of he season and we are back to square one.

If Evatt still believes that he can get us promoted then I have absolutely no issue with bringing loads of players in on loan to try & get us up, but I think most think that the promotion boat has now sailed, so for me why not target decent 'out of contract' players who may otherwise not have been available to a league 2 side i.e. Kieran Lee and bring them in now, play a few games in a month or so when fit, who will be ready to go next season for the promotion push.

If out of contract players are still out of contract now it's likely for one of two reasons:

i) they have a significant injury record which clubs are wary of
ii) they're holding out for more money than any club thinks they're worth

Neither are particularly great scenarios, and those holding out for more money might prefer to wait it out until clubs become desperate and an unexpected better offer comes in.

If there's a market for signing out of contract players in January it's in the dying stages of the transfer window when clubs are frantically looking to get them off their books so they can squeeze one last signing in.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:24 am

And as for the rumoured inexperienced signings, maybe they're just quite good and worth signing because they'll improve us?

Not every signing has to be, or can be, a long-term one.