Returning to the ground

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39417
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 pm


Where I'm not sure on is those who for medical reasons can't have the jab - surely they need to be exempted?
From dying?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29052
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 pm


Where I'm not sure on is those who for medical reasons can't have the jab - surely they need to be exempted?
From dying?
I have a friend and he has such severe reactions to immunisations he's been advised that for now he should not have the Covid jab. Other than that there's nowt wrong with him. If you say ' you need a covid passport to go to the football' (something I have no issue with) and to other events etc there are perfectly healthy people who will in effect not be able to go at least initially and potentially for years. That to me doesn't sit right. He would need to take the risk of course but its up to him. If his doctor said 'get the jab' he'd do it tomorrow. I suspect he'd need to test negative each time but at least with give him the option.

I have no truck with those who refuse to have a jab - they make their own choice.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8125
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:01 pm

I see Rangers are restricted to 17000 for their first game. With infection rates rising and hospitalisations creeping up too, are we going to see further restrictions on attendances? Hope I'm wrong but I just can't see us getting a decent allocation for our first couple of away games at this rate.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9240
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:01 pm
I see Rangers are restricted to 17000 for their first game. With infection rates rising and hospitalisations creeping up too, are we going to see further restrictions on attendances? Hope I'm wrong but I just can't see us getting a decent allocation for our first couple of away games at this rate.
Different rules in Scotland though. They've not had 'freedom day'.
I can't see any restrictions for the time being. Only in winter if the vaccine protection isn't proving enough.
...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21482
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:28 pm

Depends on how long things take to go tits up, if they do.

I'm v nervous about what's happened in Israel, say. And not much news on any "top up" boosters either specially for the Delta.

Fingers crossed but I don't think we've seen the last lockdown.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12785
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 pm
Sounds like after September events like football matches will require adults attending to prove they have had two doses of the Covid vaccine. This seems to be prompting outrage on social media. It is quite a complex thing given that a) a vaccine doesn't stop you necessarily having or spreading covid and b) you can walk into asda without anything and infect people there instead. On the other hand I can see why you need to try and 'persuade' the nutjobs to take up the vaccine offer and also why if you are aiming for longer term normality such things are probably going to be more commonplace. Try travelling next year without a covid vaccine passport for example (bet you won't be able to).

Where I'm not sure on is those who for medical reasons can't have the jab - surely they need to be exempted?
The science shows that in the very rare cases where one contracts covid after two jabs the actual viral load is very light making transmission unlikely. As for ASDA, nothing prevents people from continuing to wear masks in such settings even if vaccinated. Well, nothing except ignorance.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9240
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Domestic vaccine proofs are an intrusion and imposition too far in my opinion. Vaccine travel documents are perfectly reasonable and have been in place for years.
...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29052
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 pm
Sounds like after September events like football matches will require adults attending to prove they have had two doses of the Covid vaccine. This seems to be prompting outrage on social media. It is quite a complex thing given that a) a vaccine doesn't stop you necessarily having or spreading covid and b) you can walk into asda without anything and infect people there instead. On the other hand I can see why you need to try and 'persuade' the nutjobs to take up the vaccine offer and also why if you are aiming for longer term normality such things are probably going to be more commonplace. Try travelling next year without a covid vaccine passport for example (bet you won't be able to).

Where I'm not sure on is those who for medical reasons can't have the jab - surely they need to be exempted?
The science shows that in the very rare cases where one contracts covid after two jabs the actual viral load is very light making transmission unlikely. As for ASDA, nothing prevents people from continuing to wear masks in such settings even if vaccinated. Well, nothing except ignorance.
I think the ‘Delta variant’ means the data isn’t quite so good if double vaccinated. I think you were three times less likely to pass it on but not sure if quite that good with delta variant.

As for shopping and masks I agree entirely but they only work if everyone wears them and we sadly have a lot of incredibly selfish individuals in our society.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39417
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm


As for shopping and masks I agree entirely but they only work if everyone wears them and we sadly have a lot of incredibly selfish individuals in our society.
Most of whom do it to prove a point; quite what that is I know not unless it falls under the "Nobody is telling me what to do" mantra, in which case, battle lost. We can only hope to win the war. This fits admirably the quote on war (I forget from whom) which states "In the end, It isn't about how many are right, but about how many are left!..and that in itself actually proves nothing.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8743
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 pm

We had someone in yesterday that is exempt from wearing a mask. Today back in having forgot they are exempt and sporting a rather natty blue number :roll:

An English tourist proclaimed that tomorrow is freedom day so I don't have to wear a mask today. Even if that made any sense, the fact she was in Scotland with different laws would probably have sent her into meltdown.

This is what we are dealing with on a daily basis. We're all doomed.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9240
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm


As for shopping and masks I agree entirely but they only work if everyone wears them and we sadly have a lot of incredibly selfish individuals in our society.
Most of whom do it to prove a point; quite what that is I know not unless it falls under the "Nobody is telling me what to do" mantra, in which case, battle lost. We can only hope to win the war. This fits admirably the quote on war (I forget from whom) which states "In the end, It isn't about how many are right, but about how many are left!..and that in itself actually proves nothing.
I still wear them in shops, mainly because I read that shop workers are concerned and if I can do a bit to alleviate that why not.
Some utter helmet shouted 'It's freedom day!' at the future Mrs LE as she put hers on as she entered a shop yesterday. She said she just ignored him and didn't point out that she's 'free' to wear whatever she wants on her face.
...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:27 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm


As for shopping and masks I agree entirely but they only work if everyone wears them and we sadly have a lot of incredibly selfish individuals in our society.
Most of whom do it to prove a point; quite what that is I know not unless it falls under the "Nobody is telling me what to do" mantra, in which case, battle lost. We can only hope to win the war. This fits admirably the quote on war (I forget from whom) which states "In the end, It isn't about how many are right, but about how many are left!..and that in itself actually proves nothing.
I still wear them in shops, mainly because I read that shop workers are concerned and if I can do a bit to alleviate that why not.
Some utter helmet shouted 'It's freedom day!' at the future Mrs LE as she put hers on as she entered a shop yesterday. She said she just ignored him and didn't point out that she's 'free' to wear whatever she wants on her face.

I think we - including the future Mrs LE (even if she exists) - are all on favour of you continuing to wear a mask. Long after covid has gone. :P
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:27 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm


As for shopping and masks I agree entirely but they only work if everyone wears them and we sadly have a lot of incredibly selfish individuals in our society.
Most of whom do it to prove a point; quite what that is I know not unless it falls under the "Nobody is telling me what to do" mantra, in which case, battle lost. We can only hope to win the war. This fits admirably the quote on war (I forget from whom) which states "In the end, It isn't about how many are right, but about how many are left!..and that in itself actually proves nothing.
I still wear them in shops, mainly because I read that shop workers are concerned and if I can do a bit to alleviate that why not.
Some utter helmet shouted 'It's freedom day!' at the future Mrs LE as she put hers on as she entered a shop yesterday. She said she just ignored him and didn't point out that she's 'free' to wear whatever she wants on her face.

I think we - including the future Mrs LE (even if she exists) - are all on favour of you continuing to wear a mask. Long after covid has gone. :P
I’ve met her, she’s lovely! Not sure how he pulled her tbh! :wink:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9240
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:51 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:27 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm


As for shopping and masks I agree entirely but they only work if everyone wears them and we sadly have a lot of incredibly selfish individuals in our society.
Most of whom do it to prove a point; quite what that is I know not unless it falls under the "Nobody is telling me what to do" mantra, in which case, battle lost. We can only hope to win the war. This fits admirably the quote on war (I forget from whom) which states "In the end, It isn't about how many are right, but about how many are left!..and that in itself actually proves nothing.
I still wear them in shops, mainly because I read that shop workers are concerned and if I can do a bit to alleviate that why not.
Some utter helmet shouted 'It's freedom day!' at the future Mrs LE as she put hers on as she entered a shop yesterday. She said she just ignored him and didn't point out that she's 'free' to wear whatever she wants on her face.

I think we - including the future Mrs LE (even if she exists) - are all on favour of you continuing to wear a mask. Long after covid has gone. :P
I’ve met her, she’s lovely! Not sure how he pulled her tbh! :wink:
Because I'm a sexy MF. As Tony well knows, because he's had the great pleasure of meeting me. 😀
...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37147
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:57 pm

Season Ticket arrived today. It all feels 'within reach' now :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12785
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 pm
Sounds like after September events like football matches will require adults attending to prove they have had two doses of the Covid vaccine. This seems to be prompting outrage on social media. It is quite a complex thing given that a) a vaccine doesn't stop you necessarily having or spreading covid and b) you can walk into asda without anything and infect people there instead. On the other hand I can see why you need to try and 'persuade' the nutjobs to take up the vaccine offer and also why if you are aiming for longer term normality such things are probably going to be more commonplace. Try travelling next year without a covid vaccine passport for example (bet you won't be able to).

Where I'm not sure on is those who for medical reasons can't have the jab - surely they need to be exempted?
The science shows that in the very rare cases where one contracts covid after two jabs the actual viral load is very light making transmission unlikely. As for ASDA, nothing prevents people from continuing to wear masks in such settings even if vaccinated. Well, nothing except ignorance.
I think the ‘Delta variant’ means the data isn’t quite so good if double vaccinated. I think you were three times less likely to pass it on but not sure if quite that good with delta variant.

As for shopping and masks I agree entirely but they only work if everyone wears them and we sadly have a lot of incredibly selfish individuals in our society.
Effectiveness against Delta will depend on the vaccine. Recent studies show that Pfizer is 88% effective against symptomatic disease from Delta compared to its 94% against Alpha. AZ is much lower - 67% v. Delta and 75% v. Alpha. In the US close to 100% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated, Delta now being the dominant strain. It is hard to argue with these numbers.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 24 guests