Vale of tiers: Port Vale (H), Division Four, Sat 6 Dec @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Vale of tiers: Port Vale (H), Division Four, Sat 6 Dec @ 3pm

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:06 pm

I'm going to pretend it's just one of those freak games you sometimes get and not an indication that we've been flattered by recent results.
I think that's how Evatt has to treat it publicly, but I hope he'll learn a lot from it behind closed doors.
Should head off any Santos interest as well.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:09 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:04 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:45 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:39 pm
Comley must be a shout for worst to ever wear the shirt.
Not until Dean Moxey's time with us is expunged from the records he isn't!
As if it wasn't bad enough, you had to didn't you? 😁

Well I was wrong on one thing, they didn't give up.
White for Thomson, isgrove or Darcy for Crawford and see what they're made of next game.
That's bad though, really bad.
Yeah that's where I'm at. I personally don't think 3 at the back suits the rest of how he wants to play but I'd be v surprised if he ripped it up after the recent run. I'd also be tempted to swap out Delaney for Greenidge. Bit more steel in the middle and challenge them to show that was a blip.

As absolutely woeful as that was they have earnt some credit in the bank.

Darcy just looks better than Crawford to me, mind. Isgrove looks a player but I'm not sure he suits the system. Though him and Delf wide of Doyle would help the pressing more than the current set up.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:18 pm

6-3 is a bit like 2-1. So I'm going to pretend it was that close.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:19 pm

Who was the co commentator on iFollow? Stephen Eyre? Bloke talked a lot of sense and hopefully Evatt could see what he did.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:22 pm

A freak result that today absolutely no need for the fans to panic IMO, it was just so surprising & unexpected after such a great November perhaps they turned up thinking they would win the game easily - but admittedly it was a shocking performance defensively. I thought Port Vale's manager completely out thought Evatt tactically, they had a plan in how to get about us - we simply have one way of playing but have no plan B at all.

I've said all season that we lack leaders & characters on the pitch when things aren't going well & we generally need to score 1st to win games, basically the team are a bit soft and can be easily bullied as we were in parts today. I may be wrong but we conceded 6 at home for the 1st time at the Reebok, and we didn't have one yellow card ?

We are not getting anywhere near promotion unless Evatt can bring in some characters with some fight, bottle & spirit in January, we desperately need some steel & bottle in midfield, we are like a choirboy XI

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:19 pm
Who was the co commentator on iFollow? Stephen Eyre? Bloke talked a lot of sense and hopefully Evatt could see what he did.
100% agree. Hope it was an audition to replace that shithouse Henshaw!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:24 pm

I was thinking they should employ the co commentator as a defensive coach! At half time they could do some with changing to a 433, but they don’t have the personnel. I’d say sign a load in Jan I dunno if it’s knee jerk. We ain’t going good enough to go up though that’s for sure - a year down here for Evatt to wise up might be needed.

Weird game. But we can’t say we weren’t schooled - be surprised if that doesn’t play Vale into a run of form.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:25 pm

BTW to post on here about promotion is just arrogance...we’ve beaten some teams at the bottom but looked miles behind decent sides. Hopefully we are better than enough to not be in trouble after Christmas.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:33 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:06 pm
I'm going to pretend it's just one of those freak games you sometimes get and not an indication that we've been flattered by recent results.
I think that's how Evatt has to treat it publicly, but I hope he'll learn a lot from it behind closed doors.
Villa 7-2 Liverpool.

The game could have been 7-7 as both defences were shocking. There's a reason they had lost 5 in a row before this game.

We had a goal disallowed, hit the bar and had a penalty turned away for hand ball.

We had plenty of chances in the 1st half to level it.

The Thomason gamble needed strength on the pitch as Crawford was weak.

That said if I was a neutral watching that I would probably leave entertained.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Can't help thinking back to Evatt moaning to the ref about them time-wasting on 35 minutes. Lordy :lmfao:
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:41 pm

We've only dropped 1 position. Level on points with Port Vale.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:02 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:33 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Villa 7-2 Liverpool.

The game could have been 7-7 as both defences were shocking. There's a reason they had lost 5 in a row before this game.

We had a goal disallowed, hit the bar and had a penalty turned away for hand ball.

The Thomason thing. There was a problem. Nothing to do with Crawford. He's not yet got the level of physicality to play there.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Very good open & honest post match interview from Ian Evatt, I really do like this guy, its just a pity that some of the players don't share or have the same passion. He will get this right whether its this season or next.

Great post match interview that Ian Evatt.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:02 pm
DJBlu wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Villa 7-2 Liverpool.

The Thomason thing. There was a problem. Nothing to do with Crawford. He's not yet got the level of physicality to play there.
IF you are playing Crawford on current performances then you need two looking after midfield behind him because he doesn’t. Two big physical types. To carry him. You’d also need him to look like going well last double figures for goals as the attacking midfield player.

Crawford isn’t worth a place IMO and seemingly that’s widely shared with a quick view on Twitter...though I’m very unconvinced that throwing Isgrove in for him is a good idea. We need to shore things up in there.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:20 pm

They deserve a lot of credit for thinking they could afford not to worry about our left wing and deciding to overload our right hand side. We were utterly bamboozled by it.

It isn't solely about Tutte, but his absence and the lack of a direct replacement is a huge problem for us. Thomason looks an intelligent footballer, and fair play in one sense to Evatt for being bold enough to opt for starting him, but he wasn't what was needed today. The difficulty is I don't think White or Comely were either. Few teams would cope with such a featherweight central midfield – there are parallels with our struggles last season in the respect – so it's important we find a solution. Being honest, I'm not currently sure what one would look like.

I agree Darcy and Isgrove were good; how Isgrove managed to score in that position is beyond me. One thing that immediately stands out with Darcy is how superior his technique is compared to the rest. Although he won't be our saviour I have to think his first touch, close control, energy and willingness to play it forward would improve our efforts to open the opposition up. For us to accommodate both him and Isgrove, though, would probably mean a change in formation, which would feel like an overreaction to one defeat in eight.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:25 pm

As I said we are just so lightweight & powderpuff (not sure if that is the right word) in midfield, we really do need a couple or at least one 'nasty type' midfielder who can fight & scrap. I get the impression that an opposing player could just say boo & our existing midfielders would run a mile.

I'm also not sure how much longer we can keep playing Crawford whilst he's a passenger, he is hiding for some reason IMO.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:20 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Villa 7-2 Liverpool.

IF you are playing Crawford on current performances then you need two looking after midfield behind him because he doesn’t. Two big physical types. To carry him. You’d also need him to look like going well last double figures for goals as the attacking midfield player.

Crawford isn’t worth a place IMO and seemingly that’s widely shared with a quick view on Twitter...though I’m very unconvinced that throwing Isgrove in for him is a good idea. We need to shore things up in there.
There are lots of views widely shared on Twitter, I reckon I'd find lots you didn't agree with, so you can feck right off with that one! :-)

I think we need to try someone in for Crawford.

That said, pretty much everything they did came through Sarce's side of the pitch, or do we just ignore that bit?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:32 pm

See with Darcy I just saw a lad with a great first touch and sense of balance struggle to impose himself. He really does need to bulk up to be of use in this league. Thomason will be similar but he’s taller and broader so starting in a better place - he’s worth preserving with but it was a gamble that did not come off to put it mildly!

I don’t think Sarcevic was head and shoulders above Crawford. Seemed quiet today when we needed him to lead by example second half. Crawford’s still one of the best footballers in this league but he does need a rocket up him at times.
Last edited by officer_dibble on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:20 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Villa 7-2 Liverpool.

There are lots of views widely shared on Twitter, I reckon I'd find lots you didn't agree with, so you can feck right off with that one! :-)

I think we need to try someone in for Crawford.

That said, pretty much everything they did came through Sarce's side of the pitch, or do we just ignore that bit?
I want Sarcevic to get more licence. The midfield balance is wrong for me and we need a holding player in and a box to box type.

If you look at the best Bolton midfield I’ve ever seen we need league two equivalents of a Campo role, a Speed role and a Nolan goal scoring from midfield role...

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:36 pm

BWFCI one of our best box to box all round quality midfielders was Per Frandsen IMO. We are crying out for a Per Frandsen / Jason McAteer 'type' midfielder.