Prawn sandwiches to shrimps. Morecambe home Tues 09-02 2021 7-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Prawn sandwiches to shrimps. Morecambe home Tues 09-02 2021 7-0'clock

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:40 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:25 pm
Maddison didn’t look match sharp and if he now misses 3 games it doesn’t look great. Having said that if I were Evatt and had the opportunity to sign him on deadline day would I have done? Yes.

Oddest thing about the signings to me was that they all look left footed! Elbo, Dapo, Maddison and Arthur all left footed?
Dapo's definitely right footed.
Thanks for clearing that up. Him and Arthur to start next game for me. On their correct sides!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:50 pm

I'm not saying Williams was bad, just no indication that's he's improved us.

It's sad to say but that game tonight was the final straw and I've given up for the time being. Got a season ticket knowing I might not get to many games but thought I'd do my bit with new owners. Won't be doing it again because I see nothing worth travelling 100 miles per home game for.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:00 pm

I note with interest that when Maddison goes in and comes away with the ball, not a single Morecambe player even appeals for a foul. Cue screaming from their bench (the width of the pitch away), the ref blows, and all of a sudden they're all over the ref like a cheap coat, appealing for him to be hanged by his bollocks!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:14 pm

^^ They just spotted his boots.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:57 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:00 pm
I note with interest that when Maddison goes in and comes away with the ball, not a single Morecambe player even appeals for a foul. Cue screaming from their bench (the width of the pitch away), the ref blows, and all of a sudden they're all over the ref like a cheap coat, appealing for him to be hanged by his bollocks!
The commentator mentioned their boss and him being on the pitch in the first half. Are we suffering from being the big fish in this league? The minute Evatt does it he’s sent off! Refs would be getting some stick from me - every game since that Tranmere home game they have been a joke.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:09 am

Anyway in terms of positives I think Thomason was decent last night, really grew into the game. Jury still out on whether he should start against physical teams like that, and he needs to work on his gamesmanship as well. But overall I really like his attitude - deffo worth having around and I wouldn’t send him to non league 😉.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:21 am

Anyone see this tackle yesterday and thought he could've been red-carded? Got away without even a yellow!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:38 am

Just watched the highlights, what a clueless naive shower we are. Elbouzedi, who a sensible manager would not have brought onto the pitch, marking the scorer from a corner. Easy goal. Baptiste lost a man earlier for the crossbar hit.
We create very few chances and never look like we'll keep a clean sheet. We need a sensible, pragmatic experienced manager and we'll be down here grumbling about refs and bad luck until we get one.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:40 am

Also, we have to rely on the opposition being rubbish (see Orient, Leyton) to win games. We don't go out and impose ourselves. Any decent resistance and we largely crumble.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 am

I thought the inverted wingers for the first half an hour was as much to blame for not creating enough chances in the first half as anything else.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:55 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:09 am
Anyway in terms of positives I think Thomason was decent last night, really grew into the game. Jury still out on whether he should start against physical teams like that, and he needs to work on his gamesmanship as well. But overall I really like his attitude - deffo worth having around and I wouldn’t send him to non league 😉.
:lol: Physical

Their whole team went down quicker than a milkshake at weight watchers.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:34 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:25 pm
Maddison didn’t look match sharp and if he now misses 3 games it doesn’t look great. Having said that if I were Evatt and had the opportunity to sign him on deadline day would I have done? Yes.

Oddest thing about the signings to me was that they all look left footed! Elbo, Dapo, Maddison and Arthur all left footed?
Dapo's definitely right footed.
...and Elbo took his corner right-footed. But in each case, the other one's not just for standing on - they each seem comfortable going down either side.

Dapo in particular impressed me last night - speed of foot and thought. Limited data so far obviously but he looked like he combined Arthur's dangerous running with, how do I put this, more of a football brain. Certainly Arthur has a threat to his position now so he can't relax into assuming he's a starter for good. Indeed, all those "support attackers" – those two, Delf, Elbo, and even the much-hallooed Maddison – know they have to fight for their place, and they might only get an hour to impress. It's No Bad Thing, and the next thing is to tell Doyle to stay up bloody front and let others do the prep work.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:20 pm

Doyle’s gonna burn himself out this month. Also Delf is now occupying Sarcevics spot, so he needs to buck his ideas up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:35 pm

I imagine IE is hoping we can get a comfortable lead in a game or two and Dapo can give Doyle a breather up top. And hopefully pressure for his starting spot too which he hasn't had all season
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:35 pm
I imagine IE is hoping we can get a comfortable lead in a game or two and Dapo can give Doyle a breather up top. And hopefully pressure for his starting spot too which he hasn't had all season
An idea occurs. Dapo is proper nippy. If Doyler wants to play the attacking midfielder role – and I don't think he should, but bear with me – then we could swap those two for five minutes, shift the young-un up front and knock a couple of exploratory balls over the top for him. That will make their defence drop deeper, which will create space for our burgeoning creative suite of windswept and interesting attacking midfielders.

Alternatively, and without swapping Doyle even temporarily, we could follow the Prufrock plan of playing high-and-wide attackers with proper pace. Dapo has it, and while Elbo hasn't impressed yet he can certainly shift too. At the right point in an attacking move, we need these lads (or Arthur, who's not slow) to move up to the top line and a Tomo or Lee or Maddison to just knock a judicious rangefinder over the backline: chase that, lads. It might not sound like Evattball but it won't half create the space to play it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:17 pm

We certainly have many more options in the attacking third now relative to the start of the season. If you look at our first few lineups we were relying on Gordon and Hickman as our threats out wide :shock:

Personally I'd like to see Dapo and Arthur flanking Doyle on Saturday - it would give pace and menace from both sides that we've not had at any point during this campaign. In my mind that trio would give defenses in this league a torrid time.

Gilks

Brockbank (Jones) Santos Baptise John

Lee Tutte (MJ)

Maddison (Delf)

Dapo Doyle Arthur

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Elbo is rapid. I think he’s worth sticking with, certainly off the bench (just maybe not when you are ten men down to a team playing for free kicks).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:04 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:17 pm
We certainly have many more options in the attacking third now relative to the start of the season. If you look at our first few lineups we were relying on Gordon and Hickman as our threats out wide :shock:

Personally I'd like to see Dapo and Arthur flanking Doyle on Saturday - it would give pace and menace from both sides that we've not had at any point during this campaign. In my mind that trio would give defenses in this league a torrid time.

Gilks

Lee Tutte (MJ)

Maddison (Delf)

Dapo Doyle Arthur
Yeah, we've got more choices now and I'd expect to see Evatt using them – rotating between games but also switching midstream, either as occasion demands, the rest some legs or to keep others on their tippy-toes. In the nine games before last night but since almost petulantly throwing on all his remaining subs during the Port Vale debacle, Evatt had averaged just 2.1 subs per game, but last night he made the full-force five. Indeed, in the 13 previous games since clubs were allowed to make five switches he'd made just 34, or only just over half the permitted maximum. Plainly he didn't trust the squad. Now he should, especially as we're playing three-game weeks.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:08 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:31 pm
Elbo is rapid. I think he’s worth sticking with, certainly off the bench (just maybe not when you are ten men down to a team playing for free kicks).
I agree. I don't think it's entirely hindsight to say we could have done with Delf's aerial ability but I could see the logic. Pace on the break and I think Elbo has looked a real that albeit without any end product in the last two games. He looked lost from the start without room in behind to run into.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:17 pm

Gilks

Lee Tutte (MJ)

Maddison (Delf)

Dapo Doyle Arthur

Was brainstorming my ideal lineup for the Stevenage game earlier today and came up with pretty much this. Think I’d go with Delf over Maddison as he showed last night he lacks match sharpness (can’t see his red being rescinded anyway) and I’m indifferent between Jones and Brockbank at RB. Jones may be a forced changed due to Brocky's injury.

Would love to see Gnahoua on the left and Afolayan on the right and just tell me them to run at defenders, knock the ball past them and generally get them back-pedalling to cause some panic.