Going South (end)? Not us. Southend v Bolton Sat 20th Feb 3-0.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Going South (end)? Not us. Southend v Bolton Sat 20th Feb 3-0.

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:36 pm

Thought we tired - two shocking pitches in 3 days don’t forget. That’s why those Doyle chances worried me. MJ Williams top man.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:00 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:06 pm
Great win and no need for the kettle this week. Get in :pissed:
That kettle should have been on between 50-55 minutes!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:30 pm

Just having a quick look at next opponents Scunny and by eck they're a weird bunch. They've only drawn twice in their 27 league games this season, winning 11 - which is only one or two behind six of the seven promotion-zone teams - but losing 14: only Southend and Grimsby have lost more.

Since we beat them (24 Nov) they've WWLLWLLWLLLWWWW. Among the teams to beat them in that time were Southend, Grimsby and Barrow. They haven't beaten anybody currently in the top 10 since the third game of the season, slow-starting Carlisle at home, after which they lost eight on the bounce in three competitions, conceding 24 goals and losing to Man City's kids and Solihull Moors among various others.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:44 pm

^^ So how do you call that next game then? Nailed on win! 2-1. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:05 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:04 pm
What's that fecking nonsense about? Southend players are wearing blue skins :conf:
It may be that we're not supposed to wear white underarmour cos we have blue sleeves, or some such nonsense.
Evatt via BN:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... h-verdict/
It just doesn’t make sense. The Under Armour has to match the same colour as the sleeves – but they play in that colour. It is a bit crazy, sometimes we need to use a bit of common sense but sometimes we lack a bit of that as well.
Also
With that pitch the game was always going to be scrappy and it was a massive leveller on the day. First half we had the most and the better chances and that’s what we have to make count. If we get that first goal then we make things a lot more comfortable for ourselves.

Having said that, the second half was very scrappy but I don’t think Matt (Gilks) had a save to make. I thought the defenders were outstanding and protected the penalty box great – it was just more about the front players getting us an opportunity. On a sapping pitch we decided to change it, Shaun Miller came back with a bang and that’s what strikers do, they sniff out those opportunities. I’m delighted. Good teams find a way.

Sarce has only trained one day but we just thought the other lads were tiring after a heavy pitch on Wednesday, heavy pitch today. And we ask a lot of those front players. It’s very much a squad game now and you can see the strength in depth we have got. We brought on some fresh energy and fortunately for us it got us the win.

You're not going to play well all the time and you certainly can’t play the way we want to on this type of surface. But the most important and pleasing thing for me was the way we defended, we limited them to very little – and they are not a bad team. They are a better team that where their league position might suggest.

We came here after they got two good results away from home and done a job very professionally to get the three points.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:00 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
:lol: It's a new kettle and isn't match fit yet :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:05 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:02 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
sonicthewhite wrote:
You need to get the right content into it

Two parts hydrogen, one oxygen

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:08 pm

Just no excuses for their goalie''s carelessness with our goal and no blame for how it transpired at our door. Unlucky it happened as it did, yes,but at worst it's a corner, at best a wallop away, but to stand and watch it come back into play...well. We had nothing to do with the result, although we were pushing hard to score. In effect, it was game over and point each, but the dice rolled our way. Que sera....etc. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:10 pm

See what we are doing right now is not playing very ice football but winning games. Whether purposeful pragmatism or happy accident long may it continue.

Oh and anyone who can’t see how much more robust MJ has made us in the middle of the park hasn’t been watching too closely. First name on the team sheet for me right now along with Santos.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:12 pm

The goal was Miller's 100th career goal..

Tango, It looks like it came off the bar. Keeper could have tipped it over to be sure but who cares. :pissed:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:22 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:12 pm
The goal was Miller's 100th career goal..

Tango, It looks like it came off the bar. Keeper could have tipped it over to be sure but who cares. :pissed:
Nigel cares.
Nigel cares, very much.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:05 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:02 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
sonicthewhite wrote:
You need to get the right content into it

Two parts hydrogen, one oxygen
Very good DSB :-)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:10 pm
See what we are doing right now is not playing very ice football but winning games. Whether purposeful pragmatism or happy accident long may it continue.

Oh and anyone who can’t see how much more robust MJ has made us in the middle of the park hasn’t been watching too closely. First name on the team sheet for me right now along with Santos.
More ‘robust’ maybe, but not better. We’ve played poorly the last three games and been extremely fortuitous to come away with three wins. We haven’t been able to control the middle of the park at all, and we won’t keep getting lucky forever. I thought Williams had his best game for us today, but I really can’t see how people can consider the three games he’s played and come away thinking our midfield has been upgraded.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:28 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

More ‘robust’ maybe, but not better. We’ve played poorly the last three games and been extremely fortuitous to come away with three wins. We haven’t been able to control the middle of the park at all, and we won’t keep getting lucky forever. I thought Williams had his best game for us today, but I really can’t see how people can consider the three games he’s played and come away thinking our midfield has been upgraded.
He makes it a lot harder for the other team to score a goal. He does that better than any other player we have. Without him in the team I think we'd have conceded at least once today. He isn't great at kicking the actual ball but he did a great job today.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:17 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:28 pm
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

He makes it a lot harder for the other team to score a goal. He does that better than any other player we have. Without him in the team I think we'd have conceded at least once today. He isn't great at kicking the actual ball but he did a great job today.
I partially understand this argument, but for both the goals we conceded on Wednesday Williams was weak in the tackle during the build up. Today he was generally solid defensively, but if you want to play in the style Evatt does, then it’s very difficult when one of your central midfielders isn’t good at kicking the ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:18 pm

The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

More robust is better, and the results prove it. You can play all the nice stuff you want but if you are wide open through the middle it’s pointless.

MJ for me is the best of his type we’ve had and we’ve needed someone like that all season. A presence in midfield. MJ’s win you things, more than any other type of player.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:18 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:17 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:28 pm
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I partially understand this argument, but for both the goals we conceded on Wednesday Williams was weak in the tackle during the build up. Today he was generally solid defensively, but if you want to play in the style Evatt does, then it’s very difficult when one of your central midfielders isn’t good at kicking the ball.
But we’ve abandoned the nonsense possession going nowhere football. Whether by judgement or not we aren’t even trying to play like that anymore. And let’s not return to it either. We’ve found a way. Keep going.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:03 am

We’ve found a way? If you think today’s game was indication that we’ve stumbled on a successful formula then you definitely were watching something different to me.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:36 am

Teams rarely go up winning beautifully every time. You need the scrappy wins that you barely deserve. Players like him make them possible. I still think we're not good enough to get the wins required but we've a better chance with him in there. He's far from the complete midfielder but we wouldn't be getting him if he were. He's improving every game too. I wasn't impressed at first but he's played 3 very useful halves in a row now.
He's also an indication of some welcome pragmatism by Evatt.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 am

If we keep winning I’ll be happy, and if MJ plays a part in that I’ll stop my whinging.

I do reckon we should be thinking about some rotation for Scunny, because we were notably tiring quite early yesterday and I worry we’ll start picking up injuries soon if Evatt keeps using the same players.