Can we press on against the Iron? Scunthorpe (H) 23.2.21 7pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Can we press on against the Iron? Scunthorpe (H) 23.2.21 7pm KO

Post by DJBlu » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:26 pm
Can I watch the last 15 for £2.35?
Interesting idea. Only buy when you get value for money. We're all due a refund from minute 45 to 60.

Class action against the club anyone?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:26 pm

Think I'd start with the same team as on Saturday, only I think we're going to have to chuck Jensen in at some point with Gilkes ont' bench. I can't decide whether tonight's a good time to do that though?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:33 pm

Front four all got a rest on sat so should be fresh. Sarc in for Delf for me. Only other question is if Lee and MJ have the legs. If so I'd play them both tonight and look to rest one on Sat.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:25 pm

Thing is Pru, if we're serious about promotion, every game's a cup final right now so we just have to play our strongest sides to keep the momentum going. Admittedly, due to being out of touch, I'm not the best judge, but I follow every game one way or another and the old mandate of "never drop a winning side still cuts it for me, injuries allowing of course. Start that way and only make changes when obviously needed.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:57 pm

I’d rotate Maddison out today and let him play from the bench. Freshen things up and let him have another go on Saturday. Probably same for Doyle actually. Think he’s due a rest
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:01 pm

TEAM NEWS
Tomo in for Lee, Isgrove for Maddison

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:08 pm

Isgrove wasn’t what I had in mind, when I suggested Maddison be rested

He’s built like a child, can’t run, has a touch like Godzilla and couldn’t pass a fexkin parcel.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:19 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:08 pm

He’s built like a child, can’t run, has a touch like Godzilla and couldn’t pass a fexkin parcel.
Might be a bit harsh but I'm somewhere on the wide spectrum between you and Evatt, who has given Isgrove "minutes" in 19 of the last 20 games (starting the match before the Salford game that spurred the first good spell) and 10 starts in the last 13

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:22 pm

I don't really like that team tonight, I can't understand why Isgrove ahead of Sarce or MM - we will be lucky to get a draw tonight IMO but I hope that I'm wrong.

I'm also puzzled that he has Comley on the bench again ahead of Jensen, surely with Tutte, Sarce & Maddison on the bench he doesn't need 4 midfielders ahead of a reserve keeper, its silly & cocky IMO from Evatt one of these days Gilks will get injured and we will be fcuked.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:36 pm

He said something about Sarce only having one training session before Saturday. So that’s only another one before tonight. It’s a shame but Delfonso is a perfectly capably player in this position at this level. Isgrove is a bit more positionally disciplined than Maddison but I can’t say I rate him...why not Arthur in? We’ll see - he has the options to rotate it. Note Lee isn’t in the squad, hope it’s precautionary not an injury.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:38 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:22 pm
I don't really like that team tonight, I can't understand why Isgrove ahead of Sarce or MM - we will be lucky to get a draw tonight IMO but I hope that I'm wrong.

I'm also puzzled that he has Comley on the bench again ahead of Jensen, surely with Tutte, Sarce & Maddison on the bench he doesn't need 4 midfielders ahead of a reserve keeper, its silly & cocky IMO from Evatt one of these days Gilks will get injured and we will be fcuked.
Burnley must be wondering why we bothered with Jensen. Is he a lucky mascot or what?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:

Evatt's use of Comley is a curious one. He's been on the bench for 14 of the last 18 (and with two of the absences in successive games, they may have been Covid-related) but has only used him twice - for the last four minutes of the already-won game against Southend and the last 36 of the disastrous Vale game, when Evatt made a quadruple substitution.

Comley wasn't on the bench on Saturday but we had Tomo and Tutte as well as Sarce, who now seems to be playing further forward. Looks like Evatt's preferred bench line-up consists of replacements for all six front players in the 4-2-3-1 plus one defender. It's ballsy, I'll give it that; as you say it might well blow up in our faces one day, but maybe he's considered that goalkeeper substitutions are so rare that he they're an actuarial write-off. Not sure I agree. Put it this way, I'd hate to see us go into a playoff match without a sub GK.

(It's also not about staying under the limit of five loanees in a matchday squad - we've only had four on each of the last three teamsheets, since Zack Elbouzedi got bounced)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Evatt's use of Comley is a curious one. He's been on the bench for 14 of the last 18 (and with two of the absences in successive games, they may have been Covid-related) but has only used him twice - for the last four minutes of the already-won game against Southend and the last 36 of the disastrous Vale game, when Evatt made a quadruple substitution.

Comley wasn't on the bench on Saturday but we had Tomo and Tutte as well as Sarce, who now seems to be playing further forward. Looks like Evatt's preferred bench line-up consists of replacements for all six front players in the 4-2-3-1 plus one defender. It's ballsy, I'll give it that; as you say it might well blow up in our faces one day, but maybe he's considered that goalkeeper substitutions are so rare that he they're an actuarial write-off. Not sure I agree. Put it this way, I'd hate to see us go into a playoff match without a sub GK.

(It's also not about staying under the limit of five loanees in a matchday squad - we've only had four on each of the last three teamsheets, since Zack Elbouzedi got bounced)

If the logic is we gain an cumulative advantage over the course of the season by having an additional outfield option I can understand that, even if it's a particularly risky strategy with a goalkeeper who in football terms is practically a nonegenarian. However, doing without a substitute goalkeeper in the play-offs would be a different matter.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

COYW

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:19 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Might be a bit harsh but I'm somewhere on the wide spectrum between you and Evatt, who has given Isgrove "minutes" in 19 of the last 20 games (starting the match before the Salford game that spurred the first good spell) and 10 starts in the last 13
My opinion of Isgrove lies much closer to that of Boris. I expect a wide player to both know when to cross it and to be able to cross it - Isgrove, I'm afraid, is found wanting on both fronts..
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:19 pm
boltonboris wrote:

My opinion of Isgrove lies much closer to that of Boris. I expect a wide player to both know when to cross it and to be able to cross it - Isgrove, I'm afraid, is found wanting on both fronts..
Probably have a stormer tonight but I’m with Bruce and Boris here. Weak for me. Crossing has been a huge let down.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 pm

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Is that right? I've got John, MJ, Dapo, MM and Jackson in tonight's squad? Or were any short terms frees?

I'd assumed that's why we aren't seeing Jensen.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:15 pm

Delfouneso with one of the worst throw ins I’ve seen. In their third and we almost end up letting them through on goal. Use your noggin son.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:16 pm

MJ was a permanent signing.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Wtf was Baptiste doing, backheeling it there ffs?