Minefields and banana skins.V Oldham Athletic away Tues 2nd March 7'O clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Minefields and banana skins.V Oldham Athletic away Tues 2nd March 7'O clock.

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:26 pm

It’s funny how quickly it’s turned but the form we are in playoffs would now be disappointing! I know it was against ten men but we looked like a team from the league above tonight, Oldham couldn’t get near us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Minefields and banana skins.V Oldham Athletic away Tues 2nd March 7'O clock.

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:06 pm
Cambridge have gone W2 D1 L3 in the last six, starting with a 4-1 slapping at Salford. Even so, they're still in the autos and next Tuesday at ours is a big game. Maybe even bigger if we can first beat Bratfurt, one of only two teams with better form than us over the last 11 – the other being Tranmere (those two have 26pts to our 24).

Exciting week ahead.
This is where he earns his corn. Both feel like "six pointers"

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:24 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:21 pm
Are we staying up?
Bottom placed Grimsby can still get 72 points...

Evatt out!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 pm

Says a lot for the squad that Maddison has made a slightly disappointing start and we're not bothered. Could be a case of perfect timing that he gets his eye in just as someone else needs a rest or is injured.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:59 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:52 pm
Says a lot for the squad that Maddison has made a slightly disappointing start and we're not bothered. Could be a case of perfect timing that he gets his eye in just as someone else needs a rest or is injured.
Yep I think it’s a good thing he can get some form for the run in. Could end up like 92/3 this run in right here.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 pm

Maddison did a lot right. But his final product was poor...and I was hoping he would have that in spades.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:10 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:02 pm
First manager of ours to win 6 straight games since some bloke 21 years ago
In my more emotional moments I'm starting to look back even further. This feels like that run at the end of Rioch's first season. Although not unbeaten, that was an astonishing one – WWWDWWWDDWWWLWWWWW for 45pts from a possible 54. I don't think we'll need anything like that to reach the play-offs this season but while we're on form, keep milking it.
Worryingly I think I remember where that L ^ occurred :shock:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:30 pm

We've quietly picked up six clean sheets in our last eight. Granted, they've come against clubs in the bottom half, but it's still encouraging.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:43 am

Oldham are second highest scorers in the division too. Or at least were before kickoff tonight.

A really satisfying, professional performance tonight. The first half was excellent. Quicker passing, runners and pressing with real quality and intensity

MJ Williams is like a dog chasing a stick when the oppo get hold the ball in the middle of their half. Anywhere between 20-40 yards from their goal, he’s straight in there.

Not a massive fan of Delfouneso as his end product is often lacking, but he’s skilful and a good ball carrier. You need ball carriers to break the lines and he did that well tonight, when he came inside and he also offered good width. Lovely play for the 1st goal.

Second half was game over. Bit of a non event, but I’m encouraged that there were no dramas and we just played the game out with the minimum of fuss.

8/10
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:45 am

According to the bwfc stats account on Twitter that’s the first time We’ve been in positive goal difference since August 18.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:20 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:29 pm

Away at Bradford, Genshaw?

Just watched the highlights. Not sure if it's a fair overall representation (I didn't see the game) but we looked very alert up front. Fair?

Maddison's pulled shot late on, btw. If he went to fetch the ball he might have bumped into Geoff Thomas. What the fecking hell was that? :conf:

Oh, btw, Doyle on 13 goals. Our first player to reach that number since Michael Ricketts in 2002 8)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:22 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:45 am
According to the bwfc stats account on Twitter that’s the first time We’ve been in positive goal difference since August 18.
For those who made the same mistake I did reaching this, thinking "did we go 1-0 up early in say the first game of the season?" That's not August 18th, that's August 2018 :shock:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:35 am

This is where the crowds or lack of are a big miss for us. We're getting on a roll - and with big away followings and more enthusiastic home crowds I think it would have helped.

Earlier in the season no crowds was a benefit - given how dire we were and how the atmosphere would likely have been dead increasing the pressure. But now on a roll - shame that they are having to play to nobody.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:35 am
Earlier in the season no crowds was a benefit - given how dire we were and how the atmosphere would likely have been dead increasing the pressure. But now on a roll - shame that they are having to play to nobody.
Here's a question - hypothetical I know, but it's just a thought I've been entertaining.

Had there been no Covid and if we were all allowed in the ground as per normal, would, or even could, Santos have turned things around in the manner he has?

Early on we couldn't have got him out of the club fast enough for me - right up (or down) there with the likes of Cid and Moxey. Now he's the first name on the teamsheet.

That's not to say I'd have been one of the ones giving him a hard time, but we know that there are plenty who would've been.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Here's a question - hypothetical I know, but it's just a thought I've been entertaining.

Had there been no Covid and if we were all allowed in the ground as per normal, would, or even could, Santos have turned things around in the manner he has?

Early on we couldn't have got him out of the club fast enough for me - right up (or down) there with the likes of Cid and Moxey. Now he's the first name on the teamsheet.

That's not to say I'd have been one of the ones giving him a hard time, but we know that there are plenty who would've been.
One of a number of fascinating hypotheticals in Covid football land. Would Evatt have imploded? We know he can have a rant - if he was pressured from fans etc would he have gone feral, perhaps costing himself a job in the process?

Someone like Sarcevic who seems to be a player a number of our fans don't like - as captain - what would have happened if he was being cat-called from the 'ESL corner'?

Its hard to measure the impact of crowds generally but I think some benefit and others suffer. I see the odd bit of Man Utd and boy do they look dull. But they're effective. If OT was full week in week out though would their counterpunching style be acceptable? I'm guessing they'd end up playing differently. Perhaps less effectively to appease the baying masses. Whereas a technical team like Man City - how much do they benefit that their rivals don't have large vociferous crowds spurring them on and providing impetus. When City take control of a game there is currently no lift for the opposition. A side like Liverpool who rely on tempo to their play - how much has no atmosphere affected them?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:19 am

And if we do go up I feel sorry for all those fans who won’t get the chance to visit our ground as well.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:20 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:29 pm

Away at Bradford, Genshaw?

Just watched the highlights. Not sure if it's a fair overall representation (I didn't see the game) but we looked very alert up front. Fair?

Maddison's pulled shot late on, btw. If he went to fetch the ball he might have bumped into Geoff Thomas. What the fecking hell was that? :conf:

Oh, btw, Doyle on 13 goals. Our first player to reach that number since Michael Ricketts in 2002 8)
Aye, Bradford away. The planets are aligning, I tells ya!

First time I haven't watched iFollow in ages and we play like Brazil :roll: . Madison's miss did look a bad un but I did like him mugging the full back to get into that position. Whether he kicks on and continues to have a career in the game is down to him. He wants shooting if he blows this opportunity
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:16 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

One of a number of fascinating hypotheticals in Covid football land. Would Evatt have imploded? We know he can have a rant - if he was pressured from fans etc would he have gone feral, perhaps costing himself a job in the process?

Someone like Sarcevic who seems to be a player a number of our fans don't like - as captain - what would have happened if he was being cat-called from the 'ESL corner'?

Its hard to measure the impact of crowds generally but I think some benefit and others suffer. I see the odd bit of Man Utd and boy do they look dull. But they're effective. If OT was full week in week out though would their counterpunching style be acceptable? I'm guessing they'd end up playing differently. Perhaps less effectively to appease the baying masses. Whereas a technical team like Man City - how much do they benefit that their rivals don't have large vociferous crowds spurring them on and providing impetus. When City take control of a game there is currently no lift for the opposition. A side like Liverpool who rely on tempo to their play - how much has no atmosphere affected them?
I'm not as convinced as some, that our home crowd will react well to passing it along the back. Especially if we were say 1-0 down. Patience isn't a noted attribute of some of our folks.

They also need someone to dislike intently - so they're always going to get booed. Is a shame.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:16 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm not as convinced as some, that our home crowd will react well to passing it along the back. Especially if we were say 1-0 down. Patience isn't a noted attribute of some of our folks.

They also need someone to dislike intently - so they're always going to get booed. Is a shame.
I don't think they will either. But in a winning run it would be ok. Start of the season? Oh boy. Our home crowd is benign but of course some will get at manager or players and it can have impact.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:45 pm

I don't think they will either. But in a winning run it would be ok. Start of the season? Oh boy. Our home crowd is benign but of course some will get at manager or players and it can have impact.
28 passes in the build-up to Doyle's goal last night. If Special Needs Corner haven't the collective attention span to appreciate that then I suggest that they go and find something less demanding to do.