Remaining fixtures

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:29 pm

Nice night last night. We beat Salford; Newport could only draw 0-0 at home to Carlisle; and although Morecambe beat George Taftenbauer's Scunthorpe 4-1 (from five shots on target), best of all was that Tranmere lost - at Walsall, who after previously winning one in 20 have now beaten FGR & Tranmere within four days. Cheers, Saddlers!
table after Tue 13 Apr.jpeg
table after Tue 13 Apr.jpeg (27.88 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
But then, most teams these days get at least a point against Tranmere. Since losing to Sunderland in the Sherpa Van final on March 14, Keith Hill's men have gone DWDDLDDL. The last-6 form table tells a tale: Tranmere 0.67ppg, Newport 0.83ppg, FGR 0.17ppg - all on relegation form and thus dropping away from Morecambe (1.67ppg), Bolton (2.17ppg), Cambridge (2.17ppg) and Cheltenham (1.67ppg).

Indeed, whether you extrapolate recent from last-6, last-8, last-10 or last-12, those teams are on course to make up the top 4, with Morecambe the odd men out. The big question may be the top-three order, and it looks tight – on last-8 form there's less than a point between them.
extrapolated form.jpeg
extrapolated form.jpeg (151.21 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
All the top seven teams now have a three-game week and Tranmere's is home to Salford, away to Bradford and home to buggardly Barrow. With the Scousers in disarray (and Spearing banned v Salford) it's not hard to see more points dropped, if not all of them.

Which would leave Morecambe as the last shit to scrape from our shoe. They host Oldham then go to Grimsby before hosting us on Saturday week. By then we'll have played at Grimsby and home to Carlisle.

As for them above us, Cambridge travel to Newport then in-form Orient then host the similarly in-form Stevenage. Cheltenham host Crawley on Friday then travel to in-form Stevenage then host Colchester, who've only lost one of their other five games against the current top three - a narrow 2-1 defeat at Cambridge. All to play for...
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 20.26.59.png
Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 20.26.59.png (85.58 KiB) Viewed 1675 times

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:42 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:22 am
Carlisle would be my tip.
Can you imagine if we played them in the play-off final?! I still have absolutely no idea as to why these things are played at Wembley. Reminds me of the Tranmere game. Absolutely nobody was there for a day out.
On this I disagree. For many clubs they might see a play off final once or twice in a generation. And that’s their trip to Wembley. They aren’t getting there any other time. So I think it’s absolutely right. Obviously a ball ache for those of us who have been plenty of times. But still, it’s an enjoyable day out and football aside I’ve enjoyed most trips there (not as much as Cardiff though).
Well, we'll have to respectfully disagree on this one, I'm afraid. Bristol City in 86 was my big day out to the twin towers, and I'd say the Full Members Trophy (or whatever it is currently) is better served for seeing smaller clubs get to Wembley, as I never honestly thought that I'd see us ever play there.

Notwithstanding, entering Wembley was like the moment at which Toto the dog pulls the curtain back at the end of The Wizard of Oz, a real WTF is this moment, only then stand in a stream of piss for 90 minutes watching us get gubbed, but it didn't really matter because I'd seen us play there.
Then, of course, I got to see us win there in the Torquay game (although I'm pretty sure we'd have all rather played Wolves).

Regarding the Tranmere game, to me, it made no sense not to play it at OT or Anfield, I mean I even remember driving past Villa Park halfway into the journey and thinking that this is simply madness. For me it was ALL about the result and absolutely nothing else.

I can still see Malkin's beaming face too; and feel the accompanying pain that loooooong drive home.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm
I got to see us win there in the Torquay game (although I'm pretty sure we'd have all rather played Wolves).
Not for me, mate. I doubt it would have been quite the nice day out if we'd played that lot.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:42 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:22 am
Carlisle would be my tip.
Can you imagine if we played them in the play-off final?! I still have absolutely no idea as to why these things are played at Wembley. Reminds me of the Tranmere game. Absolutely nobody was there for a day out.
On this I disagree. For many clubs they might see a play off final once or twice in a generation. And that’s their trip to Wembley. They aren’t getting there any other time. So I think it’s absolutely right. Obviously a ball ache for those of us who have been plenty of times. But still, it’s an enjoyable day out and football aside I’ve enjoyed most trips there (not as much as Cardiff though).
Well, we'll have to respectfully disagree on this one, I'm afraid. Bristol City in 86 was my big day out to the twin towers, and I'd say the Full Members Trophy (or whatever it is currently) is better served for seeing smaller clubs get to Wembley, as I never honestly thought that I'd see us ever play there.

Notwithstanding, entering Wembley was like the moment at which Toto the dog pulls the curtain back at the end of The Wizard of Oz, a real WTF is this moment, only then stand in a stream of piss for 90 minutes watching us get gubbed, but it didn't really matter because I'd seen us play there.
Then, of course, I got to see us win there in the Torquay game (although I'm pretty sure we'd have all rather played Wolves).

Regarding the Tranmere game, to me, it made no sense not to play it at OT or Anfield, I mean I even remember driving past Villa Park halfway into the journey and thinking that this is simply madness. For me it was ALL about the result and absolutely nothing else.

I can still see Malkin's beaming face too; and feel the accompanying pain that loooooong drive home.
The new Wembley. I'd have probably been nearer the pitch sat at Villa Park, than last time I went to watch us.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:24 pm

FT Crawley 1-0 Cheltenham. The visitors only had one attempt on target.
Table.jpeg
Table.jpeg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
Oh, it's on alright.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 pm

You can still get 5/1 for us outright. I generally don't bother as Bookies have had more out of me, than I they. But I've had a sneaky little dabble and probably jinxed it.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 pm
You can still get 5/1 for us outright. I generally don't bother as Bookies have had more out of me, than I they. But I've had a sneaky little dabble and probably jinxed it.
Domed

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:58 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:24 pm
FT Crawley 1-0 Cheltenham. The visitors only had one attempt on target.
Table.jpeg
Oh, it's on alright.
Saw this result earlier. Gives us the possibility of going top of the league tomorrow. Exciting times.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:10 am

Today will be a big day. By mid-afternoon we could be top, 2nd or 3rd; more crucially we could be anywhere between 7pts clear of the play-offs or just a single point clear of Morecambe, who are yet to host us (and potentially with Tranmere 2pts behind us waiting to pounce too).

Cheltenham's loss at Crawley last night was yet another coupon-buster (do people still do coupons?) in a division with more erratics than a post-glacial landscape. In case you're wondering, their game in hand isn't until Tue 27th - there's two more matchdays before then.

All today's relevant games kick off at 12.30, and happily a couple of them seem more than usually weighted toward the possibility of helping us along the way: Cambridge have to go to Newport, while the seriously wobbling Tranmere host the improving Salford. I have less hope that Morecambe will slip up at home to Oldham, but the Latics are a funny bunch so who knows?

I'm working today so I'll try to watch the wires and bring score updates on the match thread, and maybe a quick analysis hereafter.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:05 pm

Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:10 am
Today will be a big day. By mid-afternoon we could be top, 2nd or 3rd; more crucially we could be anywhere between 7pts clear of the play-offs or just a single point clear of Morecambe, who are yet to host us (and potentially with Tranmere 2pts behind us waiting to pounce too).
Well, sadly it was a lot more like the latter, although Tranmere again drew a blank in a draw with Salford so they're still 4pts back.
table Apr 17.jpg
table Apr 17.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Up next on Tuesday (all 7pm kick-offs), we host Carlisle while Morecambe go to Grimsby and Tranmere host Barrow.

The two teams above us have tricky games - Cambridge go to in-form Orient and Cheltenham, stung by defeat at Crawley, go to Stevenage, who were ticking along nicely before defeat today. But their potential travails don't mean squat if we don't do our job.

Four games left, a point clear in the automatic slots. Won't be easy but who ever said it would? COYWM.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Stick or twist now?

Stay with the formation and personnel that got us here, or accept that we can't score enough and change things around a tad?

Parky stumbled on a way to incorporate Alf and Madine in the same side and coupled with Morais excellent form, the side started scoring goals for fun and won promotion.

Arthur and Miller to start? One of them offering greater support to the overworked Doyler and a greater goal threat than any of the current lot?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:32 pm

I’d bring Delf back in for Dapo. I’d fecking love it if Sarce was fit enough to start Tuesday...I can see an argument for Miller to start instead of Lee if not.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:32 pm
I’d bring Delf back in for Dapo. I’d fecking love it if Sarce was fit enough to start Tuesday...I can see an argument for Miller to start instead of Lee if not.
Miller to start up front and give Doyle a rest? Heard plenty suggest that. Big risk at this stage but I’m not sure Miller really fits in as a starter anywhere else unless we change the system.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:32 pm

Evatt hinted last week that there could be a chance Sarce risks an early return (or words to that effect - I think he actually said we might have to "make a call on it"). I wonder how much thought he's given to that possibility on the journey home tonight?

Jeux sans frontiéres
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jeux sans frontiéres » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:04 am

The Sarcevic thing has got false dawn written all over it - at least for his first game back. He’s been out for six weeks with a torn hamstring and I wouldn’t expect that he’ll burst onto the scene and dominate the top of the midfield as if he’d never been away.

At best it’ll give Lee a chance to rest for 70 minutes. FWIW, I think Lee has got into some really good positions to support Doyle - he just seems to have put his boots on the wrong feet.

For me, Lee starts against Carlisle with Sarcevic still absent from the squad. Sarce then makes a morale enhancing start against Morecambe, but probably comes off at half time. But then these are the sort of tactics that made me terrible at Champ Manager back in the early Noughties.

In the meantime, we just have to weather that phenomenon that Bielsa’s Leeds faced the season before last - doing a seasons worth of running in six months and then limping, exhausted, towards the finish by March.
contrite convivial contrarian

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm

Win the next two and we’re up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:32 pm

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm
COYWM.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:36 pm

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm

Plaster this post all over the training ground.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 pm

Question for all. Would you take a point on Saturday?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:57 pm

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 pm
Question for all. Would you take a point on Saturday?
Only if Tranmere promise to lose.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"