Remaining fixtures

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10337
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:51 pm

Madness!

User avatar
Dujon
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:37 am
Location: Australia, near Sydney, NSW
Contact:

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dujon » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:58 pm

5-4.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2316
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:58 pm

5-4!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20127
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:58 pm

5-4.... to Harrogate

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38947
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Crazy stuff. 5-4 Harrogate,
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2316
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:09 pm

'Gate win!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38947
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 pm

Oh my. Shades of Mario Kempes.... :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1159
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 pm

Crikey.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20127
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 pm

This division.

So if we win tomorrow we go above Cambridge.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27813
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:12 pm

A point would have promoted Cambridge tonight. I’m not sure in practical terms this makes much difference to us. Other than I guess meaning the title is on with two wins if Cheltenham mess up. But doesn’t change automatic promotion race much at all. Cambridge only need a point they have already relegated Grimsby next week....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10337
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:13 pm

😂😂😂this league is mental
Get the W tomorrow!

Mar
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Mar » Sun May 02, 2021 11:43 am

So the Crawley games is now televised, cheapening our ST even further as we've now gotta buy it on Sky. Can't imagine people won't be buying it either given whats at stake.

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1159
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by nicholaldo » Sun May 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:43 am
So the Crawley games is now televised, cheapening our ST even further as we've now gotta buy it on Sky. Can't imagine people won't be buying it either given whats at stake.

We're playing away.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38947
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 02, 2021 1:28 pm

Coconut shy. Three balls for fifty pence. Sorry Sir, nothing for near misses.

Quite happy to be shot down for this!

Lessons learned: Negatives.

We are not invincible.
Any team in this league can beat us.The point has been made that there are two teams on the field, not just us.
We don't score many goals and usually win by just scoring a single one.
(Marc Iles commented yesterday on our desire to be precise and walk the ball into the net when the opposition are shooting at every opportunity.)
We give too many free kicks away.
We are not good at either attacking from set pieces or defending against them.
You can't give a sub just five minutes on the pitch and expect him to score.(Miller)
Not long back we were noted for being a strong side second half.What happened to that?. Our heroics lately are usually in our eighteen yard box, not theirs.

Positives:

We've already won a massive battle in going from talking relegation to contesting promotion and are one win away from it. One win and the rest will be forgotten.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27813
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 02, 2021 1:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:28 pm
Coconut shy. Three balls for fifty pence. Sorry Sir, nothing for near misses.

Quite happy to be shot down for this!

Lessons learned: Negatives.

We are not invincible.
Any team in this league can beat us.The point has been made that there are two teams on the field, not just us.
We don't score many goals and usually win by just scoring a single one.
(Marc Iles commented yesterday on our desire to be precise and walk the ball into the net when the opposition are shooting at every opportunity.)
We give too many free kicks away.
We are not good at either attacking from set pieces or defending against them.
You can't give a sub just five minutes on the pitch and expect him to score.(Miller)
Not long back we were noted for being a strong side second half.What happened to that?. Our heroics lately are usually in our eighteen yard box, not theirs.

Positives:

We've already won a massive battle in going from talking relegation to contesting promotion and are one win away from it. One win and the rest will be forgotten.
I’d like to see Miller and Doyle start in some combination next week. It’s clear we are goal shy and Miller can score but as you note can’t be expected to do it in a few minutes. For me it’s worth it because the chance of extra goal scorers on the pitch for a must win game could make the difference. I think time has to be called on one of Dapo and Isgrove to get a goal threat into the side.

Mar
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Mar » Sun May 02, 2021 2:49 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:11 pm
Mar wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:43 am
So the Crawley games is now televised, cheapening our ST even further as we've now gotta buy it on Sky. Can't imagine people won't be buying it either given whats at stake.

We're playing away.
Whoops. Maybe we have a Crawley season ticket lol

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 5056
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by DJBlu » Sun May 02, 2021 2:50 pm

Win and we go up. What we would like is irrelevant. Evatt knows this and no doubt wracking his brain on the formula to win it.

3 losses since the turn of the year.

Crawley do not have to win so can play with freedom. Changing our formation now would be bonkers.

Isgrove is hit and miss, he's had a bad one so hopefully he'll score at the weekend. Dapo could too. Imagine that, scoring the one to send us up. His one and only goal. Same goes for Santos and Baptiste. So many players due a goal.

I will be bricking it like everyone else this week but we need to trust the man in charge to get us over the line, if that's via the playoffs then so be it.

Just noticed we've been selected for the live game on Sky. We have won all the games on telly this season.

Come On You White Men!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27813
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 02, 2021 3:04 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:50 pm
Win and we go up. What we would like is irrelevant. Evatt knows this and no doubt wracking his brain on the formula to win it.

3 losses since the turn of the year.

Crawley do not have to win so can play with freedom. Changing our formation now would be bonkers.

Isgrove is hit and miss, he's had a bad one so hopefully he'll score at the weekend. Dapo could too. Imagine that, scoring the one to send us up. His one and only goal. Same goes for Santos and Baptiste. So many players due a goal.

I will be bricking it like everyone else this week but we need to trust the man in charge to get us over the line, if that's via the playoffs then so be it.

Just noticed we've been selected for the live game on Sky. We have won all the games on telly this season.

Come On You White Men!!
I don’t buy this don’t change it. In our recent promotions we’ve changed throughout the season to get across the line. Bringing in Karacen fairly late on last time round. Because it was clear we were struggling a bit.

You need to do what it takes to get us over the line. Miller has goals in him, we lack goals. It’s absolutely worth a try. And if we’d followed the ‘keep playing what got us here mantra’ we’d have blown many other situations like this. It’s a small change but worth it to get a goal scorer on the pitch rather than sitting on the bench watching us miss chances. Miller scores a goal and we can always swap him out for a grafter off the bench to see it out. But it’s clearly a problem when your goal threat is Doyle and absolutely nobody else at all. Miller in the side even out wide might just help Doyle and relieve a bit of pressure on him.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38947
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 02, 2021 4:48 pm

Lee looking doubtful to face Crawley. Injury doubt after yesterday's game.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

irie Cee Bee
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 am

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun May 02, 2021 9:57 pm

it just seem to me that we have a wasted goal talent in Miller considering that neither Dapo nor Isgrove nor Lee nor Delf nor Arthur are on average likely to give us a goal. Miller is far more likely to do so and will put away more chances than Doyle when they appear.

As it stands its either Doyle or Miller for the #9, and our leading scorer will always get the nod despite needing more chances to score 1, and I cant see Miller playing in another position than up front. What do we do on Saturday? Drop our leading goal scorer? We cant do that. Change the system to 4-4-2 to accommodate Miller? Cant do that either as Sarc and Thomasson (Since Lee looks out) would be overrun in central midfield. So no place for Miller but on the bench unfortunately. We will need to give him at least 30mins however if we are not leading on the hour mark at the expense of Dapo or Isgrove.

Delf right now is giving us nothing so bringing him in as an attacking #10 instead of Thomasson at the start would be a big risk.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], knobpolisher, officer_dibble and 45 guests