Remaining fixtures

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36917
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:46 am
Tranmere have potted Keith Hill. Oh what a shame....Hill is probably up there with Owen Coyle for people I'd never welcome back to the stadium in any capacity. Horrible bloke.
Blimey, that’s a calculated gamble.

Does that make any Wanderers slightly less antagonistic toward Tranmere? (In the scheme of things, of course.) I must admit I hated the idea of him taking them up, but I dislike the club more than him.
Sacked - payoff - Landlord's of both the No Name and the Seven Stars in their elements :D

I wish Keith Hill no ill, and I wish Tranmere nothing but ill.
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20360
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 13, 2021 5:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:06 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:34 pm
Gary Bowyer has left Salford, talking about "tiddlywinks" and "fake lottery tickets"
Gary 'managers need 3 years minimum and shouldn't be allowed to be sacked in the season' Neville will now be searching for his 5th new manager in the last 12 months!
He must have accidentally done Last Number Redial, 'cos they've hired Gary Bowyer again

Bit of a relief actually, they're going through that many that I feared it was my turn next

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20360
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 14, 2021 9:53 am

I wrote something for the BN on single-goal victories and Promotions We Have Known. It was a fairly tight squeak, but not entirely unparalleled – and I had my own memories challenged by what I found.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ers-years/

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21099
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 am

I was just coming on to say there was a piece in the BN by an up and coming reporter :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20360
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 14, 2021 10:06 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 am
I was just coming on to say there was a piece in the BN by an up and coming reporter :D
Give the kid a chance, he'll learn.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28212
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:53 am
I wrote something for the BN on single-goal victories and Promotions We Have Known. It was a fairly tight squeak, but not entirely unparalleled – and I had my own memories challenged by what I found.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ers-years/
Interesting stuff. I guess some of the detail lies behind and beyond the raw data. It does seem like this was the 'squeakiest' promoted Bolton side in recent times. And I'd also add to that because of the way we played in many games where we'd have more of the ball for at least an hour and likely a fair few chances it changes the perception of the last half hour of games because you've not managed to close it out and teams come out at you, as opposed to being more of a routine 'spoil and close the game down' side that for example Sam Allardyce's sides were.

So perception is important. I also think it comes down to until the last game we'd never gone and put teams to the sword really so didn't have the knowledge we could do that if needed to fall back on.

I guess you could look at goal difference as an overall measure of how comfortably you've outscored opponents - so it takes into account not only how likely you are to score but also the likelihood of you conceding. This season our goal difference was 9. In 16/17 and Parky's league one campaign it was 32. In Big Sam's season it was 31. But that tells something of a story if you take the second half of the season the goal difference was 17 so outstripping those two seasons overall. It comes down to of course an absolute need to win most of those games and mainly only doing so by one goal. If we take the second half of the season goal scored as 32 that's still if replicated over a full season lower than the totals in both those other seasons. And of course the last day somewhat distorts that total (since discussions about this of course occurred before the final day).

I think in summary you can put our success down to being incredibly tight second half of the season but rarely expansive or threatening to score lots.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25330
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 14, 2021 12:25 pm

I think that acknowledges some of the picture, but not at all convinced they're decent comparisons.

If we'd performed the whole season like the Post-January part, we'd have got 94 points and had a GD of +28 (extrapolated on a "per game" basis) - so yes would have been a little tighter on GD but quite a lot higher on points, than Parkinson/Allardyce seasons - consequence of that would have been we wouldn't have been in pressure cooker anywhere near as long as we'd have effectively been Champs 4/5 games earlier and in the automatics 6/7 games earlier. That of course could've worked both ways (we could've gone on "beach" earlier), but Evatt won 2 less than Parky and 1 less than Allardyce promotion seasons, despite starting season with half a pub team, most of whom weren't even at the Club the season before and giving the rest of the Division a 20 game start.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7948
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 14, 2021 2:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:06 am
Prufrock wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 am
I was just coming on to say there was a piece in the BN by an up and coming reporter :D
Give the kid a chance, he'll learn.
In the comments section, I liked the remark 'Interesting stats Mark' :D

I'd forgotten that side of Riochs in 95 had scored so few during the run in. I remember us playing poorly at Oldham and Stubbs being shoved around by Shaun McCarthy, and the last game v Burnley where we snatched a late draw but no more than a goal in the last 10? Big surprise.

Although on reflection by the time we got to the play offs we had Shilton, Dreyer and McDonald in the starting XI so perhaps I shouldn't be too shocked.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
brommers95
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by brommers95 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:53 am
I wrote something for the BN on single-goal victories and Promotions We Have Known. It was a fairly tight squeak, but not entirely unparalleled – and I had my own memories challenged by what I found.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ers-years/
Brilliant piece :oyea:

Interesting stats regarding Norwich and Watford. Seeing as they’d got the automatic spots wrapped up pretty early this season, I just assumed they’d been battering most teams they played, evidently not.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:53 am
I wrote something for the BN on single-goal victories and Promotions We Have Known. It was a fairly tight squeak, but not entirely unparalleled – and I had my own memories challenged by what I found.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ers-years/
This season our goal difference was 9. In 16/17 and Parky's league one campaign it was 32.
Blimey, was it really that high? Parky in :mrgreen:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28212
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:25 pm
I think that acknowledges some of the picture, but not at all convinced they're decent comparisons.

If we'd performed the whole season like the Post-January part, we'd have got 94 points and had a GD of +28 (extrapolated on a "per game" basis) - so yes would have been a little tighter on GD but quite a lot higher on points, than Parkinson/Allardyce seasons - consequence of that would have been we wouldn't have been in pressure cooker anywhere near as long as we'd have effectively been Champs 4/5 games earlier and in the automatics 6/7 games earlier. That of course could've worked both ways (we could've gone on "beach" earlier), but Evatt won 2 less than Parky and 1 less than Allardyce promotion seasons, despite starting season with half a pub team, most of whom weren't even at the Club the season before and giving the rest of the Division a 20 game start.
I mean yes but you can make the same sort of comparisons in other seasons - e.g. had Parky not had to lose our two best creative players in January in Ameobi and Clough and consequently we'd matched our first half of the season form we'd have had 92 points.....

Not sure its about what is the better season you can't really compare it - I think this season relatively we had a far better team compared to our opponents than either of the other 2 seasons. But of course the backdrop of signing an entire group in the summer adds a different dimension again.

But I do think you'd have to say it was tighter in terms of results than those other 2 seasons and when you drill down into the second half our improvement came down to conceding fewer rather than being more expansive and scoring more.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25330
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 14, 2021 2:35 pm

^^ Certainly tighter. just saying that they're not really comparable (for me anyhow)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9031
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by LeverEnd » Sat May 15, 2021 7:42 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:16 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:06 am
Prufrock wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 am
I was just coming on to say there was a piece in the BN by an up and coming reporter :D
Give the kid a chance, he'll learn.
In the comments section, I liked the remark 'Interesting stats Mark' :D

I'd forgotten that side of Riochs in 95 had scored so few during the run in. I remember us playing poorly at Oldham and Stubbs being shoved around by Shaun McCarthy, and the last game v Burnley where we snatched a late draw but no more than a goal in the last 10? Big surprise.

Although on reflection by the time we got to the play offs we had Shilton, Dreyer and McDonald in the starting XI so perhaps I shouldn't be too shocked.
Awful day that was. Although McCarthy didn't upset me as much as Darren Beckford teo years previously! Walking out freezing cold and pissed off, who'd have thought that great day at Wembley was on the horizon?

Just goes to show if you get it done who cares how? I've certainly doubted this team and manager but as always happy to be proved wrong.
...

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20360
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 23, 2021 3:48 pm

You may need to sit down to absorb this sad news, but Tranmere have gone out in the play-offs...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25330
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:48 pm
You may need to sit down to absorb this sad news, but Tranmere have gone out in the play-offs...
Watched both games. Heartbreaking.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10411
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Still, they got to beat us twice which I’m sure is plenty consolation for the sad plastic scouse bastards 😂

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28212
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 23, 2021 4:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:48 pm
You may need to sit down to absorb this sad news, but Tranmere have gone out in the play-offs...
I shed a tear...also noted that Jay Spearing signed as a supposed championship player looks nowt special in league two. Morecambe’s massive unit looked far more impressive in midfield. Should they not go up would he be an option?

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 39060
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 23, 2021 4:44 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:42 am

I'd forgotten that side of Riochs in 95 had scored so few during the run in. I remember us playing poorly at Oldham and Stubbs being shoved around by Shaun McCarthy, and the last game v Burnley where we snatched a late draw but no more than a goal in the last 10? Big surprise.
Funny how you remember some things more than others. Your post reminded me. One is Stubbs physically shoving a couple of our defenders out of the path of a free kick that scored (was it for Everton?) Long time ago now..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20360
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 23, 2021 4:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:10 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:48 pm
You may need to sit down to absorb this sad news, but Tranmere have gone out in the play-offs...
I shed a tear...also noted that Jay Spearing signed as a supposed championship player looks nowt special in league two. Morecambe’s massive unit looked far more impressive in midfield. Should they not go up would he be an option?
Not sure who you mean. Not the Kebab King that came on against us and forearm-smashed MJ in the face, surely?

According to Transfermarkt, Morecambe's entire squad is out of contract this summer. Not sure if it's true but it might not be as weird as it sounds for a club that cuts its cloth. You have to say they've done well this season - and apparently some of the players (eg Mendes Gomes) have extension clauses in the club's favour.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28212
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 23, 2021 5:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:10 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:48 pm
You may need to sit down to absorb this sad news, but Tranmere have gone out in the play-offs...
I shed a tear...also noted that Jay Spearing signed as a supposed championship player looks nowt special in league two. Morecambe’s massive unit looked far more impressive in midfield. Should they not go up would he be an option?
Not sure who you mean. Not the Kebab King that came on against us and forearm-smashed MJ in the face, surely?

According to Transfermarkt, Morecambe's entire squad is out of contract this summer. Not sure if it's true but it might not be as weird as it sounds for a club that cuts its cloth. You have to say they've done well this season - and apparently some of the players (eg Mendes Gomes) have extension clauses in the club's favour.
Diagouraga or whatever. But just looked and he’s 33. Ah well.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3372
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun May 23, 2021 8:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:44 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:42 am

I'd forgotten that side of Riochs in 95 had scored so few during the run in. I remember us playing poorly at Oldham and Stubbs being shoved around by Shaun McCarthy, and the last game v Burnley where we snatched a late draw but no more than a goal in the last 10? Big surprise.
Funny how you remember some things more than others. Your post reminded me. One is Stubbs physically shoving a couple of our defenders out of the path of a free kick that scored (was it for Everton?) Long time ago now..

He did indeed, TD. Blatantly shoved half of our wall over and Everton scored as a result.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Riviman and 12 guests