Remaining fixtures

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 23, 2021 9:13 pm

Bit more fight in Newport and FGR this evening! 😳

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 23, 2021 9:16 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:25 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:44 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:42 am

I'd forgotten that side of Riochs in 95 had scored so few during the run in. I remember us playing poorly at Oldham and Stubbs being shoved around by Shaun McCarthy, and the last game v Burnley where we snatched a late draw but no more than a goal in the last 10? Big surprise.
Funny how you remember some things more than others. Your post reminded me. One is Stubbs physically shoving a couple of our defenders out of the path of a free kick that scored (was it for Everton?) Long time ago now..

He did indeed, TD. Blatantly shoved half of our wall over and Everton scored as a result.
Thanks for the confirm B.P I remember I was hopping mad at the time that the ref allowed it .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:20 am

Derek Adams leaves Morecambe... oh well.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:20 am
For Bradford? Have we any idea as to what's behind that? Hardly like Rioch leaving the newly promoted us fert th'Arse!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:04 pm
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:20 am
For Bradford? Have we any idea as to what's behind that? Hardly like Rioch leaving the newly promoted us fert th'Arse!
It seems very likely he will go there, yes.

I suspect he knows that Morecambe will be odds-on for 24th place next season, that they massively overachieved to win promotion (hat tip, well done to them), that their success (based on maximal returns from minimal possession and xG) will be very hard to reproduce in the third tier, that their squad may be filleted over summer, and that those players may be irreplaceable because their budget – already one of the lowest in the fourth tier – will be almost impossible in the third.

Most of all he knows that he can leave with his reputation burnished rather than tarnished. He knows how reputations can change – he took Plymouth up, then to the fringes of the third-tier play-offs, but was sacked the following April as they neared relegation, and didn't get a job for six months (at Morecambe - then bang-bottom of the entire league). Better to leave now on good terms and pick a club with whom he may be able to make a third-tier fist of it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:00 pm

Bradford get more fans in through the door in League Two than we did in the Championship and we are considered a big club. A club which averages over 14000 in League Two and which has a stadium that holds 25,000 is obviously capable of taking a good manager right up the leagues (Morecambe get just over 2000). Parky came close to the Championship, twice. Adams is 45, so he's probably reasoned that if he does a good job at Bradford he will have them up in League One and that a good job with Morecambe would only be surviving in that same league anyway - he has time on his side. So he gets the chance at another promotion, upping his reputation; at which point he might be able to actually do something in League One. If he did a bad job at either he'd get sacked, or at least be back in League Two after a season, so he might as well take the pay increase and higher chance of success.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:04 pm

I didn't know about his stint at Plymouth. Two promotions under his belt, I don't blame him for moving on while his star is on the rise. Bradford are a good, decent size club and if he turns it around there he'll further enhance his reputation. He's a very different manager to McCall though! I hope that the many purists amongst their support are ready for the shithousery they'll almost certainly employ under Adams!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:11 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:04 pm
I didn't know about his stint at Plymouth. Two promotions under his belt, I don't blame him for moving on while his star is on the rise. Bradford are a good, decent size club and if he turns it around there he'll further enhance his reputation. He's a very different manager to McCall though! I hope that the many purists amongst their support are ready for the shithousery they'll almost certainly employ under Adams!
People want to win. They don't care if they are winning. Universal rule of football supporters.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 pm

^ Ultimately aye, but you remember how many of them were so dismissive of Parky (those shouts of "hoooofff!) after he came to us and they had McCall in charge?

I think it was DSB who said

Winning in style > winning ugly > losing in style > losing ugly
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 pm
^ Ultimately aye, but you remember how many of them were so dismissive of Parky (those shouts of "hoooofff!) after he came to us and they had McCall in charge?

Yeah but that was because they'd been scorned. They loved Parky as a manager there.

I see Morecambe have only 2 players in contract....blimey....that's a real kick in the nuts after winning the playoffs. No doubt many of their lot will end up at Bradford.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:50 pm

Blimey. Whoever takes over will have a big task on their hands. Mr Hill perhaps? It seems one or two of those out of contract share the same agent as Adams so it'll be no surprise when they turn up at Valley Parade*

* or whatever its called these days

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:52 pm

They've been hurt enough Morecambe lets not inflict Keith Hill on them.

Probably way out of range but Parky would be a superb manager for them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:33 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 pm

It might have been Pru. But it could have been me. I've said a lot of things. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Actually feel really sorry for Morecambe fans right now (didn't think I'd ever say that). The most historic day in the club's history and promotion to league one at Wembley then 3 days later, managerless, only 2 contracted players (and both of those are in demand elsewhere and likely to leave) and their open top bus tour celebration cancelled due to manager leaving and players wanting away.

It must be pretty galling. We had this of course when Rioch left BUT he left for Arsenal and I think if we're honest with ourselves had probably taken us as far as he could.

Morecambe fans must really be feeling dreadful. Football is rarely this unkind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm
We had this of course when Rioch left BUT he left for Arsenal and I think if we're honest with ourselves had probably taken us as far as he could.
We'll never know, but this idea interests me. You aren't the first to say so, and that second promotion was perhaps a touch fortunate, but even without the hindsight of the six months that followed – after McFarland left our form was basically mid-table – I'm not sure why some people are so sure Bruce was a busted flush.

As for the comparison itself: yes, it's bad for Morecambe and as a human and a fan I feel for them. In fact it's worse than Rioch to Arsenal: they were one of the country's biggest clubs, up the top of the division we'd just got to, whereas Adams is choosing to demote himself (albeit perhaps only temporarily). The equivalent for us back then might be Rioch going to second-tier Sunderland (who came up the following year under Reidy). A gut-wrencher for sure.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:42 pm

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm
We had this of course when Rioch left BUT he left for Arsenal and I think if we're honest with ourselves had probably taken us as far as he could.
We'll never know, but this idea interests me. You aren't the first to say so, and that second promotion was perhaps a touch fortunate, but even without the hindsight of the six months that followed – after McFarland left our form was basically mid-table – I'm not sure why some people are so sure Bruce was a busted flush.

As for the comparison itself: yes, it's bad for Morecambe and as a human and a fan I feel for them. In fact it's worse than Rioch to Arsenal: they were one of the country's biggest clubs, up the top of the division we'd just got to, whereas Adams is choosing to demote himself (albeit perhaps only temporarily). The equivalent for us back then might be Rioch going to second-tier Sunderland (who came up the following year under Reidy). A gut-wrencher for sure.
Wasn’t a busted flush at all we just didn’t have the resources to compete at that level then and I think Bruce knew it. Long been rumours over his frustration with the board and finances. I think whilst second half of the season we did get a decent points tally you have to factor in that me fact we relaxed and won games that were slight quirks of nature.

He might have worked another miracle but I suspect keeping us up was beyond even his abilities.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:59 pm

Honestly, the Morecambe fans seem to be dealing with it very well. They know they're a small club and they know anyone who has success there will be gone soon enough. They are mainly focused on whether or not he will strip their squad as he leaves. Sterling attitude from them.

From the point of view of a ruthless bastard like me, this is great news. Morecambe's chances of surviving next season are dramatically lower and if we have a dodgy season it's one more team to finish below us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:46 pm

I’d have a pop at Mendes Gomes (who I think is one of the two in contract). Also the keeper Letheren and probably ex Wanderer Sam Lavelle.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:46 pm
I’d have a pop at Mendes Gomes (who I think is one of the two in contract). Also the keeper Letheren and probably ex Wanderer Sam Lavelle.
He's technically still coming out of contract in the summer, but the club has an option to extend by a year. Hard to argue with it as a signing in terms of ability and potential for resale, but do we have any clue what our budgets are?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:54 pm

Not a clue. I just like to pretend we don’t have a budget and someone has added money on championship manager 😃