The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27814
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:34 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 am
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Isgrove works so hard. He was everywhere.
I don't wish to be rude, but if that's the criteria then we may as well stick a kit on a Border Collie.
I'd like nothing more than to see Isgrove's endeavour yield end results, but I've seen more than enough now to suggest that it's not going to happen.
Time for a re-think, I think.
Yeah. I’d see the logic of Isgrove if we were having 40% of the possession. Works hard tracks back and whatnot. But if we dominate we need players who primarily convert that dominance into chances and goals. And as you say he just doesn’t do that or really look like doing that. There is a balance to be had but I don’t think Delf or Gnu are lazy or uninterested in working their channels.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8979
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:44 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:31 am
Evatt: “ Obviously we needed Lloyd (Isgrove) and Dapo (Afolayan)’s work ethic today, but there will times where Marcus (Maddison), Nathan (Delfouneso) and Arthur (Gnahoua) are going to start games and hopefully win us the games in a different kind of match. It was just the match today with the way it was going to go, we needed that energy.”
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... rs-future/
Basically he's read my post above and realised I was right. Well done Ian.
...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8979
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 am

Image

We know your sort
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 am
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Isgrove works so hard. He was everywhere.
I don't wish to be rude, but if that's the criteria then we may as well stick a kit on a Border Collie.
I'd like nothing more than to see Isgrove's endeavour yield end results, but I've seen more than enough now to suggest that it's not going to happen.
Time for a re-think, I think.
...

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 5056
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by DJBlu » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:54 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 am
Image

We know your sort
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 am
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Isgrove works so hard. He was everywhere.
I don't wish to be rude, but if that's the criteria then we may as well stick a kit on a Border Collie.
I'd like nothing more than to see Isgrove's endeavour yield end results, but I've seen more than enough now to suggest that it's not going to happen.
Time for a re-think, I think.
:lol:

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20128
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:34 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 am
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Isgrove works so hard. He was everywhere.
I don't wish to be rude, but if that's the criteria then we may as well stick a kit on a Border Collie.
I'd like nothing more than to see Isgrove's endeavour yield end results, but I've seen more than enough now to suggest that it's not going to happen.
Time for a re-think, I think.
Yeah. I’d see the logic of Isgrove if we were having 40% of the possession. Works hard tracks back and whatnot. But if we dominate we need players who primarily convert that dominance into chances and goals. And as you say he just doesn’t do that or really look like doing that. There is a balance to be had but I don’t think Delf or Gnu are lazy or uninterested in working their channels.
It's somewhat chicken and egg, though.

Like Guardiola, Klopp, Rinus Michels and many others, Evatt wants a quick counterpress – he has said he wants to regain the ball within six seconds. That's not possible without players who ferret around and win it.

But then they - or their team-mates - have to be able to do something with it, and while Isgrove might not be as poor in possession as some seem to say (I expect our old friend confirmation bias here), I will say that I have more faith that other options would create more.

Again though, nice dilemma to have.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 5056
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by DJBlu » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:17 pm

Something I thought about last night.

Thinking back to Mansfield and how hard they had to work against us. Will this be a factor for other teams around us that we play. Bradford have a couple of games in hand however will yesterday have taken enough out of them to disrupt their next game?

We're playing a few in and about us the next month so if could work to our advantage.

I might be wildly off the mark but I'll be watching their next game with interest.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20128
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:19 pm

Interesting theory. But it could work either way - we could weaken non-contenders for subsequent fixtures against our rivals. But then again, as teams play their games in hand in our free midweeks, they'll be even more tired.

  • After playing at ours on Tuesday, Cambridge go to Oldham on Saturday.
  • After hosting us next Saturday, Port Vale host Newport on Tuesday, which isn't great news for us.
  • We've then got a free midweek but our Saturday opponents Walsall will have played Crawley midweek; after us they go to Southend, which doesn't matter.
  • The following Saturday (after another free midweek) we play at FGR, who will have been to Mansfield in midweek and played Cambridge in a table-topper the previous weekend, so that's nice; they will then have six days' rest before Good Friday's trip to Bradford, so it's quite the run of fixtures for the Vegan Villarreal.
  • On Good Friday we host Colchester who then go to Barrow, so that doesn't matter.
  • On Easter Monday we're at Newport, who'll have been to Barrow three days before (long trip) and go to Mansfield the following week, which doesn't matter.
  • The following Saturday we host Harrogate who then in midweek host Orient, so that doesn't matter.
  • That midweek we're at Salford who then go to Tranmere – interesting (if arguable, at this remove, whether it will help us or Tranmere).
  • That Saturday we're at Grimsby, who then travel in midweek to Oldham, which doesn't matter.
  • That midweek we host Carlisle, who then host Harrogate, who don't matter.
  • Then we're at Morecambe, who a week later go to Walsall, who don't matter.
  • After a midweek off we host Exeter, who'll have hosted Grimsby in midweek and then finish a week later at home to Barrow, which doesn't matter (although it might matter to Barrow and for that matter Grimsby).

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2317
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:19 pm
Interesting theory. But it could work either way - we could weaken non-contenders for subsequent fixtures against our rivals. But then again, as teams play their games in hand in our free midweeks, they'll be even more tired.

  • After playing at ours on Tuesday, Cambridge go to Oldham on Saturday.
  • After hosting us next Saturday, Port Vale host Newport on Tuesday, which isn't great news for us.
  • We've then got a free midweek but our Saturday opponents Walsall will have played Crawley midweek; after us they go to Southend, which doesn't matter.
  • The following Saturday (after another free midweek) we play at FGR, who will have been to Mansfield in midweek and played Cambridge in a table-topper the previous weekend, so that's nice; they will then have six days' rest before Good Friday's trip to Bradford, so it's quite the run of fixtures for the Vegan Villarreal.
  • On Good Friday we host Colchester who then go to Barrow, so that doesn't matter.
  • On Easter Monday we're at Newport, who'll have been to Barrow three days before (long trip) and go to Mansfield the following week, which doesn't matter.
  • The following Saturday we host Harrogate who then in midweek host Orient, so that doesn't matter.
  • That midweek we're at Salford who then go to Tranmere – interesting (if arguable, at this remove, whether it will help us or Tranmere).
  • That Saturday we're at Grimsby, who then travel in midweek to Oldham, which doesn't matter.
  • That midweek we host Carlisle, who then host Harrogate, who don't matter.
  • Then we're at Morecambe, who a week later go to Walsall, who don't matter.
  • After a midweek off we host Exeter, who'll have hosted Grimsby in midweek and then finish a week later at home to Barrow, which doesn't matter (although it might matter to Barrow and for that matter Grimsby).

Ah! The post Worthy intended for the "Remaining Fixtures" thread. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25150
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:30 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:26 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:19 pm
Interesting theory. But it could work either way - we could weaken non-contenders for subsequent fixtures against our rivals. But then again, as teams play their games in hand in our free midweeks, they'll be even more tired.

  • After playing at ours on Tuesday, Cambridge go to Oldham on Saturday.
  • After hosting us next Saturday, Port Vale host Newport on Tuesday, which isn't great news for us.
  • We've then got a free midweek but our Saturday opponents Walsall will have played Crawley midweek; after us they go to Southend, which doesn't matter.
  • The following Saturday (after another free midweek) we play at FGR, who will have been to Mansfield in midweek and played Cambridge in a table-topper the previous weekend, so that's nice; they will then have six days' rest before Good Friday's trip to Bradford, so it's quite the run of fixtures for the Vegan Villarreal.
  • On Good Friday we host Colchester who then go to Barrow, so that doesn't matter.
  • On Easter Monday we're at Newport, who'll have been to Barrow three days before (long trip) and go to Mansfield the following week, which doesn't matter.
  • The following Saturday we host Harrogate who then in midweek host Orient, so that doesn't matter.
  • That midweek we're at Salford who then go to Tranmere – interesting (if arguable, at this remove, whether it will help us or Tranmere).
  • That Saturday we're at Grimsby, who then travel in midweek to Oldham, which doesn't matter.
  • That midweek we host Carlisle, who then host Harrogate, who don't matter.
  • Then we're at Morecambe, who a week later go to Walsall, who don't matter.
  • After a midweek off we host Exeter, who'll have hosted Grimsby in midweek and then finish a week later at home to Barrow, which doesn't matter (although it might matter to Barrow and for that matter Grimsby).

Ah! The post Worthy intended for the "Remaining Fixtures" thread. :D
:-) Well if DSB had got his finger out! I had to work out last week, how to link a Tweet too, for the teamsheet

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20128
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:30 pm

Yeah, soz. What happened was, I wasn't working.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25150
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:30 pm
Yeah, soz. What happened was, I wasn't working.
Good man, that man.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], malcd1, McD and 43 guests