A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8979
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:25 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:23 pm
M J Williams has been a revelation. He was superb again tonight.
He really is. Just what we needed. Him and John have made the biggest difference for me, as good as Lee and Dapo are.
...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27814
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:23 pm
M J Williams has been a revelation. He was superb again tonight.
He’s the one I’m scared of losing to injury. We are fecked without him. Absolute class player.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7882
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:08 pm

Awful horrendous inexcusable error by Gilks, now you know where Crellin gets it from - its Jensen time for me,
It was a bad mistake but c'mon, really?

Unless you've seen Jensen play competitive football, in which case, I apologise.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:23 pm
M J Williams has been a revelation. He was superb again tonight.
I think the M is short for magnet

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25150
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 pm

I'd struggle to pick MOTM for the first 60/70 mins. All played pretty well. Doyle did a lot up front too, but agree that the John and Dapo left side partnership ran them ragged for an hour. Jones did pretty well on right with Delf, but they carried a little less threat. Lee and Williams great in MF. Good goal and plenty of running from Sarce. Santos and Baps, solid.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:23 pm
M J Williams has been a revelation. He was superb again tonight.
He’s the one I’m scared of losing to injury. We are fecked without him. Absolute class player.
Classic BWFC-I 😄

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 pm
I'd struggle to pick MOTM for the first 60/70 mins. All played pretty well. Doyle did a lot up front too, but agree that the John and Dapo left side partnership ran them ragged for an hour. Jones did pretty well on right with Delf, but they carried a little less threat. Lee and Williams great in MF. Good goal and plenty of running from Sarce. Santos and Baps, solid.
I thought Delf was superb myself. As was Sarce. I’d say taking Sarce off was when the game slipped away from us a bit - but he may well have been absolutely shattered. John as MOTM? Probably for the 90 minutes. Superb shift.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27814
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:34 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:23 pm
M J Williams has been a revelation. He was superb again tonight.
He’s the one I’m scared of losing to injury. We are fecked without him. Absolute class player.
Classic BWFC-I 😄
He and Santos are the players we can’t replace. Everyone else I feel there are options. Williams though is absolutely critical.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25150
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:08 pm

Awful horrendous inexcusable error by Gilks, now you know where Crellin gets it from - its Jensen time for me,
It was a bad mistake but c'mon, really?

Unless you've seen Jensen play competitive football, in which case, I apologise.
Agree HG. Gk's prone to the odd clanger, but thinking about a couple of superb saves in the last few games which have made a difference. Unless we know Jensen is something special, I wouldn't be dropping Gilks.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27814
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:08 pm

Awful horrendous inexcusable error by Gilks, now you know where Crellin gets it from - its Jensen time for me,
It was a bad mistake but c'mon, really?

Unless you've seen Jensen play competitive football, in which case, I apologise.
Agree HG. Gk's prone to the odd clanger, but thinking about a couple of superb saves in the last few games which have made a difference. Unless we know Jensen is something special, I wouldn't be dropping Gilks.
Thirded. He’s calm on crosses and clearly a big role in organisation. Go as far to say it’d be madness to change him for an unknown quantity.

Bertie Wooster
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:38 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:08 pm

Awful horrendous inexcusable error by Gilks, now you know where Crellin gets it from - its Jensen time for me,
It was a bad mistake but c'mon, really?

Unless you've seen Jensen play competitive football, in which case, I apologise.
Maybe not (and I've not seen Jensen play), but it was a shocking mistake and it put us under pressure for that last 10 mins when we could/should have been coasting, I was & still am annoyed with the Gilks error it was awful goal keeping - saying that we do really need to be killing teams off when we are so on top.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20128
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:42 pm

I just got a little flash-forward to how good we could be when we are out of embargo, and possibly a division higher, and getting better players who can make better choices.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:34 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:23 pm
M J Williams has been a revelation. He was superb again tonight.
He’s the one I’m scared of losing to injury. We are fecked without him. Absolute class player.
Classic BWFC-I 😄
He and Santos are the players we can’t replace. Everyone else I feel there are options. Williams though is absolutely critical.
I agree wholeheartedly but it’s a hell of a thing to be thinking about after that first hour or so tonight. Fingers crossed they stay fit.

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1159
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:43 pm

I saw a statistic a couple of weeks ago which showed that since Gilks made his debut we'd amassed the league's second highest number of points. Admittedly, there were a number of teams below with a couple of matches in hand, but considering our results haven't really let up since then, I'd imagine we're still top three.

Gilks clearly f*cked up tonight, however he also very calmly caight a number of good crosses into our penalty area under pressure. He's also a strong organising voice at the back, and given promotion is the aim and results are currently very good I think it'd be an uneccessary risk to drop him.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7882
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:42 pm
I just got a little flash-forward to how good we could be when we are out of embargo, and possibly a division higher, and getting better players who can make better choices.
Perhaps a League 1 team can keep Lee and Afolayan? I'd be surprised if they opted for another term in L2 next year.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10338
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:50 pm

Lee signed an 18 month contract.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25150
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 pm

Harry shit me up there...I had to go check the Contract thread.

Bertie Wooster
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 pm

Also I have to say Sarcevic was excellent tonight along with MJ.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7882
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 pm
Harry shit me up there...I had to go check the Contract thread.
:lol: soz! I'd forgotten he'd already committed to us for next season
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36770
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:08 pm

Awful horrendous inexcusable error by Gilks, now you know where Crellin gets it from - its Jensen time for me,
It was a bad mistake but c'mon, really?

Unless you've seen Jensen play competitive football, in which case, I apologise.
Just dawned on me - the two goals Cambridge have scored against us this season have both been gifted to them as a result of goalkeeping howlers.

Why's no-one ever that generous to us? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], malcd1, McD, mullayo and 28 guests