A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Our biggest game since Saturday. The away match was one of our better performances pre xmas, Crellin's blunder aside. They've continued to hang around the promotion places since, while we had a look at the bottom end of the division before this latest run. We're a much different proposition this time around but still struggling to convert possession into chances and chances into goals.

A narrow 2-1 win I reckon.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:17 pm

Last time round, I thought we were evenly matched - had a goal ruled out for offside, a keeper punching one in his own net and still managed to come out with a draw. We've certainly improved since then and their current form is WLWLW - so we just need to ensure that continues on its current trajectory. 2-1 us, hopefully.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:13 pm

We'll shit em.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:00 pm

N.S.S , but We need this one for several reasons, main one being to get back on track after letting two valuable points slip the net against Bradford. . We always chance losing a game or two, but no more last-minute daft-gates please. Chances come hard enough in this league, so grab em and be grateful. A one goal lead is always dicey, so get two or three...we'll never have a better chance to state our case than by beating the mortar board boys on their own turf. COME ON YOU WHITES......! :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:04 pm

This is the game! 8-0 to us

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:15 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:04 pm
This is the game! 8-0 to us
BELIEVE.... :oyea:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Interesting to see the reaction after Bradford's late show. I hope our mentality is much stronger than earlier in the season where setbacks knocked the stuffing out of us. I suspect by end of tomorrow night we'll have a fair inkling as to whether there is any chance of automatics or if we're more likely fighting for the play offs. I mean nothing will be impossible still but we need a really strong run in to get into top 3.

Interested to see if we stick with same team or make a few changes.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:14 pm

They look a bit of a handful up top, this lot.
They have the league's leading scorer (Paul Mullin) on 23 goals, and even their second highest scorer (Joe Ironside) has only two fewer (11)than our boy Doyle.
Heading their assists chart are the aging Wes Hoolahan and Kyle Knoyle who each have six; we don't have a single player on five or more.

Now, that had me slightly worried until I realised that overall they've only scored eight more than us this season despite having played a game more (49 vs our 41). Of course, Cambridge have a far superior goal difference to us (19 vs 1) because they haven't had their arse handed back to them by the likes of Orient and Port Vale.

As such, I deduce the obvious - namely, if Santos and Baptiste can keep Mullin and Ironside quiet, and if we can restrict the service from both Hoolahan, and the forward runs of Knoyle, which we can (MJ on Hoolahan with Declan John giving Knoyle no joy) we will, as they say, fecking shit 'em. :)

2-0 to us.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:14 pm
They look a bit of a handful up top, this lot.
They have the league's leading scorer (Paul Mullin) on 23 goals, and even their second highest scorer (Joe Ironside) has only two fewer (11)than our boy Doyle.
Heading their assists chart are the aging Wes Hoolahan and Kyle Knoyle who each have six; we don't have a single player on five or more.
Watched a couple of video clips of Mullin and he looks a real shoot on sight striker. We'll have to keep him out of our box and away from shooting chances. I'd like to see us strike early for a change instead; much easier on the nerves. :oyea:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 pm

I read that Hoolahan wont be travelling up with them, which is a huge boost if so. He's a class act that bloke and id be amazed if they have anyone in reserve even close to his level.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 pm
I read that Hoolahan wont be travelling up with them, which is a huge boost if so. He's a class act that bloke and id be amazed if they have anyone in reserve even close to his level.
He's pushing 39, so must not be able to play twice a week. I don't know whether his absence contributed to how crap they were against us last time, but I'm certainly not upset at this news.

I wonder from our side whether Lee will start tonight having played 90 minutes on Saturday. Evatt has been pretty conservative with him since he's been at the club, but he would be a huge miss if he was rested.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:42 am

We can sub Lee at 5-0 up at half time.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:23 pm

Cambridge have Oldham and Forest Green after us, and we have Port Vale and Walsall. Both have a mid-week break to recover. None of the possible contenders can afford slip-ups and managerial chess is a factor in planning ahead (in as much as it's possible to forecast). All the teams around us (Harrogate excepted) have games in hand on us, so we sure can't afford to slip up.

A kayak up the Croal won't help much against the boat race Punt up the Thames here as practise, so I hope the "U" s haven't bothered bringing the skiffs.. Bring it on... :oyea:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 pm

As I noted in another thread on Saturday, Cambridge are second, but since we went down there and ended their three-game winning run – only an incorrectly disallowed Brocky goal and a Crellin howler stopped us winning – they've only put together two consecutive wins on two occasions – one involving Grimsby, one involving Barrow. I suspect they've been doing Just Enough On Most Occasions. Indeed, they haven't beaten any team currently above 11th since Salford, just before Bonfire Night.
Cam.jpeg
Cam.jpeg (112.6 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
We're top of the form table for the last 6, 8 and 10 games; Cambridge are 9th, 11th and 9th respectively.

Perhaps interestingly, they're the only team to come near us for "latest opening goal scored or conceded" - we've averaged 40 minutes before someone scores, they're 38. And when they've let their hosts score first, as they have in 7 of their 16 trips, they're W1 D1 L5 F4 A12. (For comparison we're W1 D4 L3; they've let home teams score first 8 times and only equalised twice.)
cam2.jpeg
cam2.jpeg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
∆ I wouldn't leave your seat early. Overall they seem to bide their time and grind past teams, more often than not. Hopefully they won't get that chance tonight – they do seem at their weakest in the second 15-minute chunk, so maybe a goal for us then will set us up for a pleasant evening.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:26 pm

Manager and player of the month in the bag for Ian and Ricardo. What a fantastic positive omen for this evening.
7 nil us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:07 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:26 pm
Manager and player of the month in the bag for Ian and Ricardo. What a fantastic positive omen for this evening.
7 nil us.
Oh FFS.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:18 pm

Watched a couple of video clips of Mullin and he looks a real shoot on sight striker. We'll have to keep him out of our box and away from shooting chances.
Gets 52% of his shots away on target apparently, Tango; Mr Gilkes might be in for a busy evening. Time to put a 'keeper on the bench, perhaps?
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:35 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:26 pm
7 nil us.
Nominated.

Or has it been announced?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:05 pm

I think we'll shit em. This is massive, as close to a must not lose as you can get at this stage. I still put us outside the playoffs atm given the differing games played. Win tonight and I'd put us favourites to finish above them, lose and it looks a big gap.

But I think we're still getting better and better and are the best team in the league right now. Hopefully the day it all properly clicks.

3-0 Whites.

Though I think Evatt has only ever won 3 games by more than 2 goals so...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:01 pm

TEAM NEWS
Fonz in for Isgrove, who drops to the bench.