A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Re: A bridge too far, or worth a punt? Cambridge Utd (H) Tues 9.3.21 KO 7pm

Post by enrdentw » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:21 pm

Surely there will be a few of the bigger teams in L1 and possibly some Championship sides looking at Santos. How it just nonchalantly knocks it/dribbles past players is incredible. What a talent.

Can’t add to what has already been said.

What a feeling to be genuinely excited about watching us play. I couldn’t take my eyes off that first half this evening.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:21 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:38 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:08 pm

Awful horrendous inexcusable error by Gilks, now you know where Crellin gets it from - its Jensen time for me,
It was a bad mistake but c'mon, really?

Unless you've seen Jensen play competitive football, in which case, I apologise.
Maybe not (and I've not seen Jensen play), but it was a shocking mistake and it put us under pressure for that last 10 mins when we could/should have been coasting, I was & still am annoyed with the Gilks error it was awful goal keeping - saying that we do really need to be killing teams off when we are so on top.
I agree, and similarly haven't seen Jensen play. Think Crellin has dragged the bar down. That's two absolute howlers in 7 games. Fortunately neither cost us any points or I think people would be a lot less forgiving.

I don't think Gilks is the answer for next year (though he gave an interview with Iles recently where he seemed to say he'd be up for it if Evatt asked).

Jensen out of contract and they must think he has something (as Crellin still notionally ours). If Gilks was immaculate, fine, but he's not. Some great saves but he's also got away with a couple of others. I'd be having a look at Jensen, unless he's awful in training.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:44 pm

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:50 pm

Morecambe vs Newport this Saturday a win for us and a draw in that one would be a treat
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:25 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:44 pm

There are some remarkably honest comments in this post-match interview, especially given his own team are currently second in the league. He speaks almost as if they were minnows taking on a giant in a cup match.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 pm

^^ Aye, I thought that, too.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:46 pm

I have been watching Bolton play for over 22 years now, and I can't remember ever seeing us play as good as we did in the first half. Everybody seemed to know what to do and it was like poetry. We are lucky to have Declan John. What a superb player.

Gilks messed up (again), but I wont kill him. He seems to be a vital cog in the defense with his organization of the 2 in front of him. Besides, I have never seen or heard of Jenson before. Is he better than Crellin?

We played like we were 2 divisions above this current second placed team. That's ominous for those upcoming teams we play.

Maddison.. I have seen him play a couple years ago and he was really good. They just don't become bad players overnight so I believe and hope that its lack of match fitness having not played much in the last year or so. Right now, we need him to be much better.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:17 am

They looked a decent side first 15, you can see why they're up there. And then...we just blew them away.

I honestly think we can win this.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:34 am

Looks like Jensen is on one of those work experience loans as he played got Burnley U23s yesterday.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:23 am

Is Crellin getting a kick anywhere? Lad will be playing non league next season. I don’t see anyone other than Gilks playing for us this season.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:15 am

A new goalkeeper will be a priority for Evatt in the summer, there is absolutely no way that Gilks will be 1st choice next season.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:21 am

Really big opportunity to make up some ground on those above us this weekend with Morecambe (5th ) Vs Newport (6th ) and Tranmere having no game. Tough games for Cambridge (Oldham away - new manager bounce) and Cheltenham away at playoff chasing Exeter (8th).

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:37 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:15 am
A new goalkeeper will be a priority for Evatt in the summer, there is absolutely no way that Gilks will be 1st choice next season.
I agree. He’s learnt plenty this season let’s see. Jensen if his contracts up may be here on a trial effectively. Much easier to bed a keeper in during the summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:37 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:15 am
I agree. He’s learnt plenty this season let’s see. Jensen if his contracts up may be here on a trial effectively. Much easier to bed a keeper in during the summer.
Burnley have a year’s extension option on Jensen so it’s in their court. They will presumably have hoped he’d get some game time here.

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/burnley-r ... kas-jensen

Whichever division we’re in, replacing Baptiste will also be a priority (and a struggle). But there’s plenty time to come to think about that in summer, when the options will be much wider.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:32 pm

Not really much to add to what has been said to be honest. Some of the play last night was phenomenal. Remember readying for the start of the second half expecting Cambridge to get after us...they literally couldn't get near the ball, never mind possess it. Properly breathtaking seeing a Bolton team have that much control of a game.

There was a point midway through the second half where I thought: "Hey up, these lads are enjoying themselves a bit too much here," as if they were a cat pawing with a mouse. Just knocking it around, probing, pressing, and recycling, with Cambridge being thrown this way and that. Obviously that's a bit of a stupid sentence but I think this team is only really starting to realise how good they can be, once they do that then the proverbial jugulars will be gone for.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:37 pm

An opinion offered based on football in general rather than just us:

More than half the teams in this league are below us. Does mean this all those keepers are rubbish or just your average No 1? Gilks may have (has) made a couple of slip up, but he's also made some crucial saved that kept us in games we might easily have lost, so in effect, we owe him at least some credit for helping us to where we are right now. Jussi Jaskelainan's don't grow on trees, especially at this level, so I'd be a bit cautious in expecting perfection, especially as players probably read these forums. This league is a bit of a tightrope and things can easily change based on more than just us. The same might actually be said about a few of our players from what I can gather...

Just a view... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?