10 years to the day since...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 10 years to the day since...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 06, 2021 10:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:03 am

Was your first reaction not 'crikey there is still 2 minutes left plus injury time'?
That came straight after :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 06, 2021 11:11 am

I cried.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 am

my lad cried his eyes out - he was only 7 and don't think he could cope with the roller coaster of emotions!! His mate - also 7 - and a Forest fan - also cried, probably just because everyone else was!!!!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu May 06, 2021 1:30 pm

Still get chills watching that!

My first instinct was to look at the linesman too. It usually is to be fair!

It's still the lowest points total that someone has stayed up with in the Championship in the 3pts for a win era. It's a good indicator how poor Wayne Rooney's Derby have been this year that they're only just ahead of it.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:30 pm

It's still the lowest points total that someone has stayed up with in the Championship in the 3pts for a win era. It's a good indicator how poor Wayne Rooney's Derby have been this year that they're only just ahead of it.
As the championship has evolved over the last two decades I doubt our low total will survive - given the gap between the haves and have nots in that league is widening all the time.

I still think staying up was utterly remarkable given the circumstances and players. Utterly remarkable. Looking through the players...

Alnwick - came down with us stayed down with us - left - hasn't to my knowledge signed for anyone else.
Little - League one Bristol Rovers - Only 22 appearances in 2 years for them at that.
Wheater - League two Oldham.
Beevers - League one Peterborough
Robinson - Played for to be relegated championship side Wigan then now plays for to be relegated premiership side Fulham.
Pratley - Went up with Charlton from league one - came back down again - still there.
Henry - Played briefly for league one Bradford
Ameobi - Championship Notts Forest regular.
Vela - Went to Hibs, didn't work out, now league one Shrewsbury
Morais - League 2 stalwart at Crawley, Oldham and now Grimsby (relegated).
Wilbraham - Did play on at league one Rochdale.

I doubt there has ever been such a rag tag and poor group of players that's stayed up. You can say quite obviously that only Ameobi and Robinson were really ever going to be championship standard. Yes Wheater was at one point but probably not at that point in his career. The rest I suspect were at LEAST one league above their ability if not more.

When you compare it to the Barnsley side who went down that season - 4 or 5 of their lads went on to move to other championship clubs and play regularly (plus one or two stayed at Barnsley and play regularly for them who sit 6th) and Oli McBurnie obviously has had a premiership spell with Sheff Utd. Mind blowing looking at it really.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 06, 2021 2:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:55 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
As the championship has evolved over the last two decades I doubt our low total will survive - given the gap between the haves and have nots in that league is widening all the time.
Yeah, perhaps - it's notable that of the three teams relegated from the top flight last season, two went straight back up and the other is fifth. Even as a fiscal death-strip the Champo's saving grace was its unpredictability and lack of correlation between expenditure and reward - certainly compared to the division above it - but nowadays that seems to be more about overspenders failing than relative underspenders succeeding, although flat caps off to Barnsley.

HG: Rooney's got 36pts from 31 games including as caretaker, he's had to drag them back from an awful start under Cocu, but it's fair to say he hasn't turned round an awful start as well as some managers we could mention.

As for Parky's bobtails, it's fair to say they weren't really equipped for the second tier, as their unwatchable points accrual proved.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 06, 2021 2:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Alnwick - came down with us stayed down with us - left - hasn't to my knowledge signed for anyone else.
This is the one which surprises me the most. I'd still have him back at our place.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Was and will almost certainly remain the only football match the future Mrs LE has been to.
She commented 'yeah good finish i suppose but shit until the last 10 minutes.'
I pity her for not getting it.
She has enough excitement in her life already with me though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 06, 2021 3:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Yeah, perhaps - it's notable that of the three teams relegated from the top flight last season, two went straight back up and the other is fifth. Even as a fiscal death-strip the Champo's saving grace was its unpredictability and lack of correlation between expenditure and reward - certainly compared to the division above it - but nowadays that seems to be more about overspenders failing than relative underspenders succeeding, although flat caps off to Barnsley.

HG: Rooney's got 36pts from 31 games including as caretaker, he's had to drag them back from an awful start under Cocu, but it's fair to say he hasn't turned round an awful start as well as some managers we could mention.

As for Parky's bobtails, it's fair to say they weren't really equipped for the second tier, as their unwatchable points accrual proved.
Barnsley have overachieved but aren’t they owned by Chinese billionaires?

Not sure they’ve spent much like.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
This is the one which surprises me the most. I'd still have him back at our place.
I don't think his ability is in question. He trained with Parky's Sunderland in early 2020 and could surely get a job with someone, somewhere if he wanted to, but it seems he has chosen not to play on – and as with Marcus Maddison, we must respect that decision and wish him all the best.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 06, 2021 3:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:11 pm
Barnsley have overachieved but aren’t they owned by Chinese billionaires?

Not sure they’ve spent much like.
Per Transferleague.co.uk they've spent £9.1m over the last five seasons, and recouped £21.6m. I think we're also safe to assume their wage bill is among the lowest in the division.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu May 06, 2021 3:23 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Was and will almost certainly remain the only football match the future Mrs LE has been to.
She commented 'yeah good finish i suppose but shit until the last 10 minutes.'
I pity her for not getting it.
She has enough excitement in her life already with me though.
:D

I was going to say that at least she'd avoided a lifetime of disappointment, but on 2nd thoughts..
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 06, 2021 3:34 pm

Rude

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 06, 2021 4:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:14 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I don't think his ability is in question. He trained with Parky's Sunderland in early 2020 and could surely get a job with someone, somewhere if he wanted to, but it seems he has chosen not to play on – and as with Marcus Maddison, we must respect that decision and wish him all the best.
Agree absolutely. I'd forgotten the chief reason behind his departure. I hope he's OK, whatever he's doing.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 pm

He was certainly a better keeper than Remi Matthews. Shame.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm

Been thinking about the Wilba-moment this week. Kinda seems a good example to our non-scoring players (pretty much all of 'em then).
He wasn't exactly popular up until that moment - now and for the foreseeable future, he's 'legend'.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 06, 2021 10:03 pm

I think a winner from Santos or Bapswould be pretty fitting this weekend.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 07, 2021 8:59 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:03 pm
I think a winner from Santos or Bapswould be pretty fitting this weekend.
I'd like to think that Santos, by the law of averages at the very least, is due to at least hit the target at some point with one of his towering headers from 2'6" out, and despite his Poundshop radar, at least Baptiste is prepared to take the shot on from the edge of the box, so you could well be right there, Dibs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 am

Matt Gilks who has to be player of the season surely up in the dying seconds to nod in the winner and promote us? You can only dream I guess.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 07, 2021 12:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 am
Matt Gilks who has to be player of the season surely up in the dying seconds to nod in the winner and promote us? You can only dream I guess.
Can't imagine him coming up for a corner unless he could a taxi back.