Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10410
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:54 pm

Let’s leave it till full time!

As an aside (because I’m not sure it warrants it’s own thread) I listened to the Not the top 20 podcast in the car today, George Elek(?) watched our game Saturday, not impressed, thinks the bubbles bound to burst as we were far from convincing. Sort of got what he said - we weren’t great on sat but I think there was plenty of resi why. They have Cheltenham/FGR up and then one from Cambridge, Tranmere or Newport with Carlisle and Exeter poised to challenge for the play offs. We were just ‘in the mix’. I wonder if Maddison was firing the goals/assists we might be a bit more popular as a challenger? I’ll take sneaking up on everyone...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36915
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm
Nowhere else to put this, so here'll do. Tonight might be the first time in yonks where I peek at other teams scores and results through the evening...
Haha. Saturday was the first time this season that when someone posted that 'Team X are beating Team Y' in the match thread, I actually bothered to check the relevance to us. Until then I haven't known which way we want a single other result to go. :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:15 pm

George knows his stuff. Did he watch on Tuesday?

Oh and has Jeff Stelling piped up recently?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10410
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:27 pm

No he didn’t watch Tuesday. The other chap mentioned the Cambridge managers post match comments. I saw where George was coming from - in isolation I think we looked leggy, didn’t get Doyle a chance to score but I would say we were comfortable once we scored. We’ll see, I’ll be surprised if we go unbeaten but I think we are stepping it up when we need to now.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21078
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:30 pm

Sorry lads, I looked. They're all going terribly for us, no need for any of you to look.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:30 pm
Sorry lads, I looked. They're all going terribly for us, no need for any of you to look.
:mrgreen:

Tick tock...

EDIT and then that thing happened... good lad, Rodney...

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:27 pm
No he didn’t watch Tuesday. The other chap mentioned the Cambridge managers post match comments. I saw where George was coming from - in isolation I think we looked leggy, didn’t get Doyle a chance to score but I would say we were comfortable once we scored. We’ll see, I’ll be surprised if we go unbeaten but I think we are stepping it up when we need to now.
At Vale, we had just two efforts on target - only at Walsall have we had fewer all season. We had just three efforts in total, which is our lowest of the season; next lowest was five against Crewe (FA Cup), next lowest in league was six at Exeter (and for comparison we had 21 against Cambridge). We also registered our lowest xG of the season, 0.4.

But we scored, and once we scored we never looked like conceding. And sometimes you win like that.

If we look leggy, I feel for the teams who have games-in-hand to make up, or who have to chase after us and the ball when we have twice the possession they do.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:30 pm
Sorry lads, I looked. They're all going terribly for us, no need for any of you to look.
Full-times:
Cheltenham 0-2 Barrow
Port Vale 2-1 Newport
Salford 0-0 Colchester
Crawley 1-1 Walsall

The two teams above us who played lost; the two nearest teams below us who played only drew.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21078
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:09 pm

Tough to see how that could have gone better. Didn't even need to put the kettle on. You're welcome lads.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21078
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:30 pm
Sorry lads, I looked. They're all going terribly for us, no need for any of you to look.
:mrgreen:

Tick tock...

EDIT and then that thing happened... good lad, Rodney...
CODE: SELECT ALL
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:13 pm

Bit more info.

Cheltenham 0-2 Barrow
At kick-off: 1st v 22nd. Cheltenham still lead the division but are only a point clear of 2nd and 3rd, and five clear of 4th-6th - which includes us. And their next three games are against top-nine teams.

Port Vale 2-1 Newport
At kick-off: 21st v 4th – and although the Welsh team dominated possession, Vale had more shots (and more on target) - Newport scored with their only accurate effort.

Salford 0-0 Colchester
At kick-off: 9th v 20th. Salford had the ball but only managed two efforts on target and have only earned 7pts from the last 7 games. Oh and on Saturday they travel to the league leaders. Still, they won last year's Sherpa Van at the weekend. Congrats!

Crawley 1-1 Walsall
At kick-off: 10th v 19th. Crawley had two games in hand on us and were 7pts behind; now it's one game in hand and 6pts behind, which would have still been 7 had they not scored a 97th-minute penalty.

So that's the teams in 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd playing the teams in 1st, 4th, 9th and 10th, with the promotion-chasers managing a grand total of two points.

Sleep well.
table.jpeg
table.jpeg (28.74 KiB) Viewed 425 times

bw@bw
Promising
Promising
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:43 pm
Location: midlands

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by bw@bw » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:30 pm
Sorry lads, I looked. They're all going terribly for us, no need for any of you to look.
Full-times:
Cheltenham 0-2 Barrow
Port Vale 2-1 Newport
Salford 0-0 Colchester
Crawley 1-1 Walsall

The two teams above us who played lost; the two nearest teams below us who played only drew.
Carlisle still playing and winning at Mansfield
Still have plenty games in hand and decent goal difference

Its still wide open down to 11th
What goes around may still come around

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2336
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:20 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:15 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:58 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:30 pm
Sorry lads, I looked. They're all going terribly for us, no need for any of you to look.
Full-times:
Cheltenham 0-2 Barrow
Port Vale 2-1 Newport
Salford 0-0 Colchester
Crawley 1-1 Walsall

The two teams above us who played lost; the two nearest teams below us who played only drew.
Carlisle still playing and winning at Mansfield
Still have plenty games in hand and decent goal difference

Its still wide open down to 11th

80th min equaliser for Mansfield leaves Carlisle 9pts behind us, but with three games in hand.

Carlisle's last 10 - W1 D3 L6.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25321
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:27 pm

A good evening's set of results. Happy with that (I might have peeked occasionally). As ever, need a win weekend to capitalize. COYWM.

knobpolisher
Promising
Promising
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:52 pm
Location: Sunny Southport

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:14 pm

What this proves is what a crazy division. Completely unexpected results show we must not take Saturday lightly, don't think we will. Concentrate on our own results and let the rest take care of itself, I do suspect IE and team will be delighted with those results though.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25321
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:30 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:14 pm
What this proves is what a crazy division. Completely unexpected results show we must not take Saturday lightly, don't think we will. Concentrate on our own results and let the rest take care of itself, I do suspect IE and team will be delighted with those results though.
Indeed, mustn't take lightly. They've only lost one more than us...but they've drawn 15, and whilst their form hasn't been great, they've had quite a few 1-0's in that losing total. Feels like the odd goal might win it...

irie Cee Bee
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 am

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:24 pm

Could these results ever been better for us? Wow, the teams ahead of us seem to be feeling the pressure of us on their tails. The teams to watch are Forrest Green and Tranmere. Lets see how Mr Hill's team react after their loss to Sunderland in the Cup final on Sunday. These sort of losses can be devastating to moral. Anyway, we do what we have to do...look to win every game from herein.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10410
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 am

Plenty of twists and turns in this one yet folks. Tricky one at the weekend but I would back us at home on our pitch against anyone now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28189
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:28 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:24 pm
Could these results ever been better for us? Wow, the teams ahead of us seem to be feeling the pressure of us on their tails. The teams to watch are Forrest Green and Tranmere. Lets see how Mr Hill's team react after their loss to Sunderland in the Cup final on Sunday. These sort of losses can be devastating to moral. Anyway, we do what we have to do...look to win every game from herein.
I'd rather Tranmere either went up automatically (assuming we don't) or dropped away totally because right now there is that nagging feeling that losing to Keith Hill's Tranmere at Wembley could well be our fate. The football gods sticking it up us one last time.

I'd pretty much fancy us against anyone on that big Wembley pitch....but Tranmere...can't shake that 'football fate' feeling about them.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10410
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Ask not for whom the bell tolls.....Port Vale A. Sat 13-03-21. 1500h.

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:52 pm

I’d back us to beat Tranmere at Wembley...feck 1991.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests