Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25321
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:14 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:01 pm
I think Delf has 7/8. But yeah the players behind Doyle need to chip in with more - Dapo struggles to hit the target and Isgrove doesn’t get in the right positions. Delf should arguably have a few more really but he really struggled from October and I’m convinced his wag has him on too many nappy duties! It’s why I would start Arthur over Isgrove - lad just creates goals more consistently.

Anyway on reflection I agree with Evatt - teams at this level just don’t go on these kind of runs. Fair play. Looking forward to next week!
Delf has 6, 3 of those were in the first 8 (pre-nappies). Dapo looks like he should, but actually doesn't and Isgrove doesn't look likely at the moment, so we basically have three players unlikely to score sat behind Doyle.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10410
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:31 pm

On that note was glad Lee scored today - I thought first half he was poor but second he looked the player he is. He had looked a bit reluctant to pull the trigger in other games but his reputation from wednesdayites was a creative midfielder who could chip in.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:27 pm

Tactically interesting postmatch comments from Evatt.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... h-verdict/
We do a lot of analysis work on the opposition but I think we’re a slightly different kettle of fish to everyone else and people come up with different game-plans against us. We just couldn’t figure out where the space was. The pitch intelligence just wasn’t there.

We had to get them in at half time to make them understand where the space was – the third midfield player needed to come away from the ball. We try and paint pictures to the players about where we think the space could be. Sometimes it works out to be something completely different.

I don’t know whether you saw but in the first half I went upstairs in the stand for five minutes to get a picture of where the space was. At pitch level you don’t always get that clearly. When I got up there myself and Peter (Atherton) discussed it and the goal came from the way we switched the ball out.

I think sometimes midfield players get attracted to the ball because they want to be on it. Sometimes you need to pull away into space. We had to switch the ball quicker with more speed and tempo and we did that second half.

I said to the players that it is never going to be easy now. You have a reputation and with it comes teams who spoil, slow it down, time waste, and when teams throw up different looks we need to find the different solutions. At half time we managed to come up with a solution and sometimes they have to do that themselves.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:30 pm

HMX wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:17 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:08 pm
I’m not so convinced theirs wasn’t a penalty. Only seen one replay but looked a push to me.
Lee put his hand on his back, as their diving prick of a player ‘fell’ and was almost horizontal in his path at the time. He had nowhere to go and tried to stop himself falling.
Exactly. Lee falling through the player shows you how quickly the guy went to ground on a tiny bit of contact.
Very good point. Hadn't thought of it like that. Felt a touch and launched himself, hate all this "there was contact" shite. It's a contact sport. Contact does not necessarily constitute a foul.
Having said that, my immediate reaction was penalty. But I'm blind as fook, even with my jamjar bins on.
...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:39 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:27 pm
Flip your viewpoint. If you were a Saddlers fan, are you really looking at that game and thinking you deserved anything more than a defeat?
Aye. This thought process, carried out with unemotional detachment, is always an excellent way to check your impressions.

I'm sure right now there are Walsall forums boiling with rage at the ref, but there will also be fans saying the manager and players just aren't good enough.
TW has nailed it. We were a bit shit overall, they were a lot shit and deserved to lose. Hope Southend or Grimsby overhaul them and they go down. Horrible behaviour throughout.
...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:45 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:16 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:07 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:01 pm
69% v 31% possession
13 shots v 6
4 on target v 2

I'd say 2-1 sounds a perfectly fair reflection
it would, to somebody who didn't watch the game. However, you saw the game ;)
I did - and as a football journalist rather than a concerned fan, I'd say Walsall didn't look as good as Bolton. Organised, hardworking, shithousey, but limited and with worse players less capable of scoring.

As a fan, I'm disappointed we didn't hammer them but I suppose more relieved than anything else. But as a professionally dispassionate watcher of very many football games over the years, I'd say the statistics tell a fair story of one team having far more intent to score, and coming close a few times before doing so.
And I'd say that History is written by victors here. For all the statistics (two centre backs can knock it between themselves for an hour - wey hey, look at our possession stats) they came at us in the first half and we struggled to deal with it. However, you say that 'the statistics tell a fair story of one team having far more intent to score'. I think the stats possibly do Walsall a disservice.
What I would say, however, is that Walsall were possibly hoist by their own petard in their attempts to play the referee all afternoon.
I think i can distill this discussion down to 'feck Walsall up their stupid diving arses'.
You're welcome.
...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2336
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:30 pm
HMX wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:17 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:08 pm
I’m not so convinced theirs wasn’t a penalty. Only seen one replay but looked a push to me.
Lee put his hand on his back, as their diving prick of a player ‘fell’ and was almost horizontal in his path at the time. He had nowhere to go and tried to stop himself falling.
Exactly. Lee falling through the player shows you how quickly the guy went to ground on a tiny bit of contact.
Very good point. Hadn't thought of it like that. Felt a touch and launched himself, hate all this "there was contact" shite. It's a contact sport. Contact does not necessarily constitute a foul.
Having said that, my immediate reaction was penalty. But I'm blind as fook, even with my jamjar bins on.

Let's hope your missus isn't on here. She still believes you think she's beautiful. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:37 pm

She thinks I'm dashingly handsome. And has perfect eyesight.
...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10410
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:53 am

Thinking back to that free kick by Dapo - wonder why Doyle didn’t fancy it. There’s a bloke who can strike a football!

The_Gun
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by The_Gun » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:08 am

Set pieces are a real weakness for us, eh? That would be one major benefit Maddison would bring, but it’s starting to look like that ship has sailed.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25321
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:08 am
Set pieces are a real weakness for us, eh? That would be one major benefit Maddison would bring, but it’s starting to look like that ship has sailed.
Had Sarce not been injured and looking at the subs we were going to bring on (none of which were Maddison), you've got to wonder whether he'd have made the bench...doesn't feel like he's knocking at the door.

But, my gripe was set piece in general rather than the odd DFK. It's fair to say there's been some poor delivery, but there's also been decent delivery in there. Our currently favoured route seems to be the short corner/fk and make it like an open play attack, but with a couple of great lumps from defence clogging up the area. :-)

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:08 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 am
Had Sarce not been injured and looking at the subs we were going to bring on (none of which were Maddison), you've got to wonder whether he'd have made the bench...doesn't feel like he's knocking at the door.

But, my gripe was set piece in general rather than the odd DFK. It's fair to say there's been some poor delivery, but there's also been decent delivery in there. Our currently favoured route seems to be the short corner/fk and make it like an open play attack, but with a couple of great lumps from defence clogging up the area. :-)
Clogging up the area and occupying opposition defenders, who are therefore less likely to interfere with our scheming attackers... :D

It's good to see we're trying different things but I do think that attacking set-pieces are a major potential source of goals that we're not maximising. Like Allardyce, Evatt likes to mention the "one percents" – the little things that can add up to make a difference – but unlike Allardyce he's not majoring on set-piece training: Santos said this week "We practice them on Fridays" which feels slightly like an after-thought. Per WhoScored, we've managed five goals from set-pieces this season – only Colchester have fewer in a table led by FGR and Carlisle on 17.

On DFKs, we're imagining Maddison will shoot, which is a fair assumption. Whether he'd get them on target is a different thing...

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3370
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:32 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:37 pm
She thinks I'm dashingly handsome. And has perfect eyesight.
So she’s as blind as a bat too?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25321
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:42 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:08 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 am
Had Sarce not been injured and looking at the subs we were going to bring on (none of which were Maddison), you've got to wonder whether he'd have made the bench...doesn't feel like he's knocking at the door.

But, my gripe was set piece in general rather than the odd DFK. It's fair to say there's been some poor delivery, but there's also been decent delivery in there. Our currently favoured route seems to be the short corner/fk and make it like an open play attack, but with a couple of great lumps from defence clogging up the area. :-)
Clogging up the area and occupying opposition defenders, who are therefore less likely to interfere with our scheming attackers... :D

It's good to see we're trying different things but I do think that attacking set-pieces are a major potential source of goals that we're not maximising. Like Allardyce, Evatt likes to mention the "one percents" – the little things that can add up to make a difference – but unlike Allardyce he's not majoring on set-piece training: Santos said this week "We practice them on Fridays" which feels slightly like an after-thought. Per WhoScored, we've managed five goals from set-pieces this season – only Colchester have fewer in a table led by FGR and Carlisle on 17.

On DFKs, we're imagining Maddison will shoot, which is a fair assumption. Whether he'd get them on target is a different thing...
Yeah, ok, they're occupying defenders :-) Santos is 9ft 8 tall. He has about 3 foot spare :-)

I'm actually surprised we have 5 from set pieces, my failing memory can recall 1. Are they counting penalties?

I'm ok to imagine Maddison shooting. How many DFK's is he likely to bag in a season? I think whoscored has him on 1 from last 44 appearances (which actually stretch back to 2019). One a season doth butter no parsnips, when your pass completion is 50% and you don't track back and can't tackle.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20347
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:16 am

WhoScored's glossary defines a set piece goal as "A goal that has been scored via a set piece situation (corner kick, free-kick or throw in)", so I suspect it may be throw-ins we've forgotten. (I couldn't name one either.)

As for yesterday, at the risk of enraging people who hate the metric, our xG was 2.0 to Morecambe's 0.4, with the visitors only microscopically moving the dial during the last hour of the game. It's our second-biggest difference in xG in the entire season (the only better being Orient at home); also, no team in League Two games yesterday got a higher xG than us, and only Salford had lower than Walsall's.
.
BWwalsall.jpeg
BWwalsall.jpeg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 404 times

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:28 pm

When we first employed Evatt and he explained his philosophy, he was at pains to say how he wanted his teams to play good football and win in a certain style, rather than just by way of 'a couple of set pieces'.

I'm paraphrasing there but I got the impression then, that set pieces were going to be low down on his priorities. The way we've approached them this season has only confirmed this.

We're playing some good stuff and its been great to watch but set pieces are way too important to neglect. Just a couple of goals from free kicks in games this last month would have saved me a lot of anxiety!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25321
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:28 pm
When we first employed Evatt and he explained his philosophy, he was at pains to say how he wanted his teams to play good football and win in a certain style, rather than just by way of 'a couple of set pieces'.

I'm paraphrasing there but I got the impression then, that set pieces were going to be low down on his priorities. The way we've approached them this season has only confirmed this.

We're playing some good stuff and its been great to watch but set pieces are way too important to neglect. Just a couple of goals from free kicks in games this last month would have saved me a lot of anxiety!
One to cheer Insano up. When we got promoted from League One under Parky, I think we scored 68, which we grumbled was a lot less than Sheffield...we need to better 2 a game in the remaining fixtures to better that, although as mentioned we're not far off most teams around us.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36915
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:04 pm

Yesterday, I saw us take quite possibly the worst free kick, especially from an advantageous position, that I've ever seen in my entire life.
If Evatt doesn't appreciate their worth then he's a fecking idiot.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25321
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Will it be Balsall from Walsall? Sat 20/3/22 (h) 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:04 pm
Yesterday, I saw us take quite possibly the worst free kick, especially from an advantageous position, that I've ever seen in my entire life.
If Evatt doesn't appreciate their worth then he's a fecking idiot.
Yeah but the cheating bastards put a wall there!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 41 guests