Fanzines

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Fanzines

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:19 am

Question for those of longer tooth, or possibly with BWFC hand-me-downs... Does anybody have a decent collection of Here We Go Again!, the Wanderers fanzine edited by Howard Worgan in the early 90s?

I bought every issue – and it was only because Howard stopped doing it that we started Tripe 'n' Trotters – but I'm buggered if I know what I did with them; probably left them in the itinerant T'n'T office-in-a-box, from which they'll have been scattered to the winds.

Anyway, if anyone has any and wouldn't mind me borrowing them, I'd love to have a read – it's for A Thing. They occasionally pop up on eBay but often at quite the price.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Fanzines

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Had a letter printed in Here We Go Again.

As I recall, the subject was players coming to us on the backs of fantastic careers, only to start playing like their heads button up at the back, and our shithouse sons who go on to do very well for themselves elsewhere.

30 years on and it still wouldn't look out of place :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:13 pm

I'll have a look in the loft. I might have 1 or 2 lying around. I've seen them pop up on ebay and been tempted, particularly during lockdown.

I only ever missed 1 copy of HWGA. It was the year we played Stoke on the last day of the season, when we had nowt to play for and they had to win to go up. In a genius bit of marketing they apparently had 'Special Stoke issue' on the front cover and promptly sold out to all the travelling Potters. There were none left by the time I rocked up Manchester Road. Howard got into some legal spat with MU fans apparently but I never heard the details.

Normid Nomad was also a damn fine read too
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:38 pm

Bruce: Some subjects are timeless!

Harry: Cheers. Aye, I loved the Nomad – editor Tony Coffey used to post on here

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:29 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:38 pm
Bruce: Some subjects are timeless!

Harry: Cheers. Aye, I loved the Nomad – editor Tony Coffey used to post on here
Walked up to see William the White yesterday (you youngsters have 'dropping off empty jam jars' to come yet, but it will ;) ) If I was going to put money on anybody I know having a stash of these things it'd be him, but he hasn't.

Really got me a all dewy-eyed and reminiscent though. Me and my mates would catch the bus to Newport Street, go into the newsagents in that row of shops there and we'd be bloody jubilant when a new edition of whichever fanzine had come out.
Then over into The York for a few Burtonwood's Top Hat pre-match snifters and a microwaved pasty, sat in silence barring random belly laughs :D

I REALLY wish I'd kept hold of them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Happy days. Making them was fun too. Pulling all-nighters to hit print slots, walking out of the printers and discovering we’d just signed a striker... oh how we laughed.

For the record I’m focusing on the Rioch era.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:53 pm

I know I've told this story before, but I think it warrants telling again.

In the early 90s I used to swap fanzines with my Trafford Rag next door neighbour.

Now, bear in mind that this was around the 'Ferguson Out' time.

Years later I was having a chucking-out session and came across an old Red Issue at the bottom of a drawer. Before I threw it out I had a quick look through the indignant, nay, apoplectic readers letters, and came across an absolute pearler which contained the following;

'There's a perfectly good Goalkeeper available in Chris Woods, but what does this clown do? Goes out and buys some Dane who nobody's ever heard of'. :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:20 pm

😁😁😁

I'm really hoping my comments about Ian Evatt age so badly.