Meat Dodgers v Fee Doidgers - FGR away, Sat 27/3 live on the tele @ 12pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Meat Dodgers v Fee Doidgers - FGR away, Sat 27/3 live on the tele @ 12pm

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:56 pm

Let’s have a match thread...

Would have been a belter to attend this - we could of had some right fun with Ken Anderson as bait. As it is, we can’t, but a win will see us above them.

Hopefully we will be more awake from the off than last weekend. We have turned it on when needed recently - les do the same here. COYWM.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Meat Dodgers v Fee Doidgers - FGR away, Sat 27/3 live on the tele @ 12pm

Post by The_Gun » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:05 pm

Lovely part of the world round there, but looks a fecking ball ache to get to Nailsworth.

I seem to recall this lot being a decent side when we played them earlier in the season, but that was when we had a completely different team and were shite, so that likely has very little relevance. I had a browse of their forum earlier, and their fans were suggesting they're looking tired and the season is petering out a bit. No obvious reason to be frightened of them this time around.

The absence of Sarce was a bigger issue than I thought it might be last week, and I don't think sticking Delf in the 10 role was particularly successful. I'd be tempted to put Dapo there, or even Lee, but the latter seems like it would be too bold a move for Evatt. I'd go for the below:

Gilks

Jones Santos Baptiste John

Williams Lee

Dapo

Arthur Doyle Fonz/Elbo

0-2 Bolton.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:56 pm
Best thread title of the season. Bravo. :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
I didn’t spot the I at first. Excellent work!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:59 pm

Indeed, belter of a thread title. I have a bad feeling about this game....1-1...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:19 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Haha, yeah I overlooked that one. There's a job at a red top for you, OD.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:40 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:05 pm
I seem to recall this lot being a decent side when we played them earlier in the season, but that was when we had a completely different team and were shite, so that likely has very little relevance. I had a browse of their forum earlier, and their fans were suggesting they're looking tired and the season is petering out a bit. No obvious reason to be frightened of them this time around.
Agree TG, they looked compact, tidy and organized at our place. Think they were a bit in awe, the first 10-20 minutes or so, then twigged we were all over the shop, after which they just went about their business.

They've lost the fewest in the League on 8, and only 3 losses at their gaff, so tricky to beat. On a side note, I spotted in the Home/Away table Salford haven't lost at Home, all season yet...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:43 pm

I’ve been playing with a Doidge based pun since they shifted this one to tv. What an episode in our history that was. And of course Vince lapped it up (fair play). Would be some belting terrace humor on Saturday I am sure.

Draws not the end of the world IMO - ten games left and thirty to play for. Way it’s shaping up I’m not sure we want to be in the top 3 yet!
Last edited by officer_dibble on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:31 pm

Are they supposed to be a bit of a long ball, physical outfit? It worries me this one. We've done superbly away from home lately in terms of points and possession but Oldham aside, it's been tight each time.

0-1 loss this time I think
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:07 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:31 pm
Are they supposed to be a bit of a long ball, physical outfit? It worries me this one. We've done superbly away from home lately in terms of points and possession but Oldham aside, it's been tight each time.

I’m sure I read their forum posters describing them as a ‘footballing side’. Maybe DSB or that BWFC Analysis chap (who I think posts on here) can enlighten us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:30 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

We’re on our longest unbeaten run in about 20 years and you still predict a defeat? 😄

Last two performances haven’t been great but:
1) I wouldn’t swap any of ours for any of theirs, and
2) last week we showed we can come back from behind which I think was previously a question mark. If it’s not working from the off get the subs on (or warmed up!).

I think we’ll turn it on, 2-0 an early goal and a late one.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:07 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Are they supposed to be a bit of a long ball, physical outfit?
I’m sure I read their forum posters describing them as a ‘footballing side’. Maybe DSB or that BWFC Analysis chap (who I think posts on here) can enlighten us.
I don't know them very well but I wouldn't describe them as long-ball – when I was checking numbers for possible summer signings, they had a few players with high pass completion last season; they also play a back three, so they seemed compatible (eg free-contract wingback pair Joe Mills and Liam Shepherd).

Think they do generally have A Big Lad Up Top, though - currently Jamille Matt, who left Newport last summer.

Now Newport – Newport are long-ball, although I hear they've toned it down a wee bit lately. That's a conversation for another day but I'll admit I have at times got Newport and FGR a bit mixed up - situated either side of the thin bit of the Bristol Channel, relatively recent elevations from non-league (FGR up in 2017, Newport back up in 2013), even more recent play-off contenders (both 2019), early victors at the UniBol etc. Maybe, HG, that's happened to you too?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:19 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:46 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

If we're genuine contenders H.G.,we have to beat them all; otherwise, we're just wearing false feathers. Taking nothing for granted, but winning is always the name of the game these days, especially when we play twelve men (although we have had a share of luck lately at times, granted.) We haven't had a better squad than this for a fair while, so the time is now. Bolton are the team to beat, except we have no intention of being beaten. We're so good they named a loaf after us.........COME ON YOU MIGHTY WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:48 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:30 am
We’re on our longest unbeaten run in about 20 years and you still predict a defeat? 😄
That's the thing about unbeaten runs. They have to come to an end at some point :P
It's the bloody Wanderers fault that I am a pessimist by nature these days!

LE made the point a while back that he didnt think we were going to give out the hammering, many were anticipating we would do any day. These are a good side. If we're just squeezing past the likes of Southend and Vale, it's easier for me to think we're more likely to drop points here than win by a bigger margin than we did versus them two.

DSB - I thought I'd seen something previously about them adopting a direct approach and last weekend on Quest I noticed they appeared to have a couple of giants in their side.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:25 pm

^^ Whoscored reckons:

Strong:
Shooting from free-kicks - Very strong
Finishing scoring chances
Counter Attacks
Attacking set-pieces
Attacking down the wings
Defending set pieces

Weaknesses:
Defending against long shots
Ariel duels
Avoiding individual errors
Defending against skillful players

Style:
Short passes
Control the game in the opposition's half
Play with width
Possession football
Play the offside trap
Opponents play aggressively against them

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:30 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:48 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:30 am
That's the thing about unbeaten runs. They have to come to an end at some point :P
It's the bloody Wanderers fault that I am a pessimist by nature these days!

LE made the point a while back that he didnt think we were going to give out the hammering, many were anticipating we would do any day. These are a good side. If we're just squeezing past the likes of Southend and Vale, it's easier for me to think we're more likely to drop points here than win by a bigger margin than we did versus them two.

DSB - I thought I'd seen something previously about them adopting a direct approach and last weekend on Quest I noticed they appeared to have a couple of giants in their side.
Aye, but they also lost to Cambridge last weekend who we were pretty comfortable against. I think there's an element of 'styles make fights', in that we're not good enough to hammer teams when they sit deep and defend resolutely, but perhaps when teams come on to us we might start firing in more goals.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:48 pm
Defining “long ball” isn’t easy even with full stats, let alone down at this level, but pass completion is usually a fairly reliable yardstick for it: by habitually hoiking it t’ward goal, long-ball teams have lower completion than pretty-passing ones.

By that metric, FGR are the second-best passing team in the division with 72.5% completion; the only team above them is Ian Evatt’s Superwhite Ball-Hoggers, 74.5%. (For the record, Carlisle are bottom with 46.9%.) In terms of possession, over the season FGR have been the 7th-best in the division with 51.8% completion; we’re top with 54%, Morecambe bottom with 44.5%.

Switching back to pass completion, they seem to have had a run of games with low pass completion in Jan and Feb – 45.7% at Tranmere, 43.6% at Orient, 44.5% in a home 0-0 with Title-Chasing Cheltenham, 40% in a 4-3 win against wacky old Oldham, 42% in a win at Newport when they scored with 2 of their 4 shots on target.

However, their totals in the last eight games have been (oldest first) 73%, 57, 79, 67, 56, 73, 69 and 74. The two fiftysomething outliers there came in home games: the 56% came against lovely old shithousers Morecambe, who outshot them 15 to 7 and scored an injury-time equaliser; the 57% came in a 3-0 win over Colchester, when they had a midfielder sent off in first-half injury time at 2-0 up and seemingly surrendered possession thereafter, knocking it long to two-goal Jamille Matt as their out-ball.

Judging by that recent run of ball-retention, I’d say they’re still a passing team at heart but have perhaps learned to play a different way on occasion, whether by circumstance (a man down) or perhaps getting drawn into it (Morecambe?). Against us, unless they decide to ruffle us, I’d say we can expect a lot of passing…

(For comparison, our pass success during our 12-game unbeaten run has been, in chronological order: 66%, 77, 77, 59 (Mansfield), 61 (Southend), 81, 86 (Barrow), 84, 71, 78, 72 and 82.)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:20 pm

And so to look at FGR’s recent form.

They’re 12th in the form table over the last 6 games,
11th over the last 8,
6th over the last 10,
7th over the last 12. (We’re top of each)

They are the only team in the seven promotion slots whose PPG is lower over the last 8 games than over the season. (They’re recently running 0.34ppg behind their season pace; we’re running 1.08ppg ahead of ours, more than twice anyone else's improvement in the division except Barrow.)

They've only kept two clean sheets in their last eight games, and haven't scored in their last two.

They’ve got more points away from home (32) than at home (30), albeit from two games more. (For the record, so have Cheltenham – 31 v 34 – from 17 of each.)

In the home-game form tables, they’re 9th over the last 4, 13th over the last 8 (we’re top of each, top of the last-4 away form, third in last-8 away form).

As that would suggest, home has not been a happy hunting ground – not that they’d hunt anything, of course – since Christmas:
L 1-2 Crawley
D 1-1 Vale
D 0-0 Cheltenham
W 4-3 Oldham
L 1-3 Southend
W 3-0 Colchester
D 2-2 Morecambe
W 2-1 Harrogate

Again, there's always at least two ways to look at things, and I'm sure I could make a case for them - unbeaten in three at home, digging out results etc. But if looked at dispassionately - and especially in comparison to Bolton's form – the stats suggest the away team should be able to win on Saturday.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:20 pm
And so to look at FGR’s recent form.

They’re 12th in the form table over the last 6 games,
11th over the last 8,
6th over the last 10,
7th over the last 12. (We’re top of each)

They are the only team in the seven promotion slots whose PPG is lower over the last 8 games than over the season. (They’re recently running 0.34ppg behind their season pace; we’re running 1.08ppg ahead of ours, more than twice anyone else's improvement in the division except Barrow.)

They've only kept two clean sheets in their last eight games, and haven't scored in their last two.

They’ve got more points away from home (32) than at home (30), albeit from two games more. (For the record, so have Cheltenham – 31 v 34 – from 17 of each.)

In the home-game form tables, they’re 9th over the last 4, 13th over the last 8 (we’re top of each, top of the last-4 away form, third in last-8 away form).

As that would suggest, home has not been a happy hunting ground – not that they’d hunt anything, of course – since Christmas:
L 1-2 Crawley
D 1-1 Vale
D 0-0 Cheltenham
W 4-3 Oldham
L 1-3 Southend
W 3-0 Colchester
D 2-2 Morecambe
W 2-1 Harrogate

Again, there's always at least two ways to look at things, and I'm sure I could make a case for them - unbeaten in three at home, digging out results etc. But if looked at dispassionately - and especially in comparison to Bolton's form – the stats suggest the away team should be able to win on Saturday.

Thanks, DSB. If I've interpreted correctly: we'll shit 'em?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:55 am

Past performance does not guarantee future results. Or something like that.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.