Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 pm

I agree. Though having just argued that above, it struck me that we were v good for 30 mins when they sat in. Then pretty flat when they pressed us. Didn't help that Santos and MJ probably had their worst games for us in this run on the ball.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:47 pm

What about Kieron Lee? Santos and MJ are there to stop goals primarily. But Kieron Lee is the senior man in the front 5.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:18 am

Now, with Sarce's absence being felt, would be a good time for Maddison to show his worth. He could have a pivotal role to play.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:23 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:18 am
Now, with Sarce's absence being felt, would be a good time for Maddison to show his worth. He could have a pivotal role to play.
Agreed, and just the point I was making in the new match thread. Evatt clearly wants to see him succeed, I think he'll start him.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:23 am

Big call to start him, would mean dropping Delf (or Dapo) I think. Isgrove for Arthur is nailed on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:55 am

Watched disallowed goal replay and Delf is definitely offside and touches the ball so I’d say a good decision.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:44 am

Boss man having a good rant about Colchester time wasting in today's B.N. Not seen anybody else mention it. Is he justified?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:48 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:44 am
Boss man having a good rant about Colchester time wasting in today's B.N. Not seen anybody else mention it. Is he justified?
Yes and no. No more so than plenty other teams we've seen recently. It's annoying but it's for the ref IMO. They should get the card out early, or add on a proper amount of time.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:52 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:48 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Yes and no. No more so than plenty other teams we've seen recently. It's annoying but it's for the ref IMO. They should get the card out early, or add on a proper amount of time.
Half-agreed. They started very early, as did Evatt's complaints, and rightly so. At one free kick, one bloke kicked the ball away or stood in the way three separate times and the ref did nowt. And as you say, they have the power to stop this shit; just showily pausing their watch ain't gonna do it.

Wider, this is probably Evatt preparing future refs for the same appeal. I doubt imminent opponents like Harrogate, Grimsby, Morecambe and Crawley will be gagging to get going.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Whilst I might shout at ref at a live game, the easiest way to have stopped this yesterday would've been to put the ball in the onion bag. Even if the oppo are less time wasting than Colchester, it might amount to 5 minutes when we've not managed to bag one in the remaining 85. I always think this is a reasonable observation to try and keep refs watching, but a piss poor excuse for the result.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:48 pm

It started very early in the game, and they were encouraged when the ref did nothing about it. I reckon at least 10 mins were eaten up by them taking their own sweet time over the throws and goal kicks. Part of the game I'm afraid when you come away from home for a point against a top team. Evatt is just alerting the refs in the games to come about it. Don't think he was making an excuse.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:13 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:48 pm
It started very early in the game, and they were encouraged when the ref did nothing about it. I reckon at least 10 mins were eaten up by them taking their own sweet time over the throws and goal kicks. Part of the game I'm afraid when you come away from home for a point against a top team. Evatt is just alerting the refs in the games to come about it. Don't think he was making an excuse.
This is what I went off with the question:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... less-draw/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:16 pm

I think I recall them looking at this in the Prem and concluded ball was in play for about 60 minutes.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:48 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Agree Pru, no more than some others recently. Port Vale walked to get the ball for throws, from minute 1.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:16 pm
I think I recall them looking at this in the Prem and concluded ball was in play for about 60 minutes.
On average (59 minutes), but it depends on the teams involved. Stoke v Watford in January 2018 had just 42 minutes 8 seconds of ball in play, Man City v Chelsea in March 2018 had 68 minutes 21 seconds. That's a big difference.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:09 pm

Re-watched the game and put a timer on it. 31.05 Mins in the first half and 28.53 mins of play in the second half. Approximately 60 mins of play which is about par. So the time wasting wasn't anything out of the ordinary it appears.

An observation looking at the game again. We looked good for the first 34 mins when Cochester allowed us to play out of our half comfortably. For the last 10 mins of the first half, they noticeably changed their tactic and pressed us in our third of the pitch which completely disrupted our game. This continued for in the second half until shortly after we brought on Maddison and Zack. Zack in particular started to run at them and behind them, and Maddison hitting crosses into the box. They had to be more careful with their press due to Zack's pace and ability to run behind them which allowed us to more or less take back control of the game.

Other teams would have noticed this and will put more pressure on Santos, Baptiste and Williams when we have the ball from Gilks. We will therefore need wingers wide to play it out quicker than we do. Zack maybe a very important player for us in the run in as a result because of his counter pace. I hope Evatt gives him more game time.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:42 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:09 pm
Re-watched the game and put a timer on it. 31.05 Mins in the first half and 28.53 mins of play in the second half. Approximately 60 mins of play which is about par. So the time wasting wasn't anything out of the ordinary it appears.
Our ball retention I suspect would skew this. If we had 70 percent possession and ended up with less throw ins due to us retaining possession then that would mean less opportunity for colchester to waste time. The fact that the amount of time wasted is on par with other teams who have a higher turnover would mean that they did make a concerted effort to waste time.

I think what we would need to look at is the number of opportunities they had to do this.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:18 am

So go back and watch it again!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:20 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:18 am
So go back and watch it again!
I know lockdown is boring but you'd have to be really desperate!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 pm

Absolute chaos.