Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:27 pm

Poor form, worse league position, just sacked the manager and nothing to lose. . A right omelette mix for being unpredictable and just the sort to leave egg on faces if we're not careful. Newport up next three days later away, and they at least will welcome us with hot plate of form. Chance of six points?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 3-0.

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:02 am

These are the games that scare me most in the run-in. It looks like we just have to turn up to get the win. However, football is not like that especially with a team fighting for their life and new manager brought in the week before.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:06 am

Is the thread title saying we'll win 3-0? Or it's at 3 O'clock? :-)

Still not sure we've resolved our attack without Sarce and in the event we dropped Thomason in last week, which I suspect Evatt will reverse out, this week.

If memory serves, they deservedly beat us early doors. Didn't see this one but sounded like we weren't at the races that day.

Hope to reverse the result, lads should be confident after last week (even more so than 12 unbeaten had us) as that was a genuine 6 pointer.

2-1 Whites.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:35 am

I think it’s a 1pm KO.

Can’t remember the reverse game at all, they look like the classic season of two halves team that could get sucked in at the bottom. New manager, fighting for their lives. Big game Monday...I think this is the one that worries me - we turn it on when we need to.

Be surprised if Thomason and Lee start together (MJ is a given). Isgrove the probable replacement, but as I say every week Arthur is hard done to. He’s the assist creator and goal scorer and a decent start here would put this one to bed. For all his hard work and good play it’s about time Dapo stepped up and got a goal as well.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:14 am

Game deffo kicks off at 1pm.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:44 am

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:14 am
Game deffo kicks off at 1pm.
Edited. Thanks.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:35 am
I think it’s a 1pm KO.

Can’t remember the reverse game at all, they look like the classic season of two halves team that could get sucked in at the bottom. New manager, fighting for their lives. Big game Monday...I think this is the one that worries me - we turn it on when we need to.

Be surprised if Thomason and Lee start together (MJ is a given). Isgrove the probable replacement, but as I say every week Arthur is hard done to. He’s the assist creator and goal scorer and a decent start here would put this one to bed. For all his hard work and good play it’s about time Dapo stepped up and got a goal as well.
I seem to recall Santos having probably his worst game for us. Appalling defending for one of their goals.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:32 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:55 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:35 am
Can’t remember the reverse game at all
I seem to recall Santos having probably his worst game for us. Appalling defending for one of their goals.
Indeed. The famous Pru quote about Ricardo giving "the worst performance I've seen at any level, and by that I mean any game with a referee" or similar. Plenty of us would have happily torn up his contract right there and then.

It was also, if memory serves, when Evatt unveiled his new season-turning tactical masterplan: playing a back four. It lasted for two games – that 2-0 defeat and the home game to Newport, when we were lucky to keep them to the same scoreline considering they had 24 attempts on goal – before being mothballed again when the winning trip to Harrogate brought reversion to the back three.

The line-up: Crellin; Jones, Santos, Baptiste, Gordon; White, Comley; Hickman, Crawford, Delfouneso; Doyle.
Subs: Alexander, Taft, Brockbank, Tutte, Darcy, Hurford-Lockett (Hickman 76'), Mascoll (Delfouneso 81).

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Post by The_Gun » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:34 pm

Of the contenders for automatic promotion (Cambridge, Cheltenham, Tranmere, us, Forest Green, Morecambe and Newport) we definitely have the easiest fixture tomorrow, in theory. As such, whilst it's not a 'must win' game, it's definitely a tremendous opportunity to turn the screw on the competition.

To my untrained eye, I thought we suffered with Lee playing further forward on Saturday and would like to see him pushed back alongside Williams. I would still advocate for Dapo to play in the central attacking role, with Arthur and Delf or Elbo playing either side.

Gilks

Jones Santos Baptiste John

MJ Lee

Arthur Dapo Delf

Doyle

2-0 Bolton.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:44 pm

Genuinely dunno who I'd pick tomorrow – except for the back six, which picks itself (sorry Thommo, but Sexy Kieran's back in there).

You would hope for a more front-foot formation as we take it to the opposition. You'd also hope for a lot more chance creation, perhaps even enough for dear old Lloyd Isgrove to come good :D

Colchester may come to park the bus, but even if they don't we should be good enough to force them onto the back foot. That's not arrogance, it's expectation: if we win we will go top-three, so let's not waste time with false modesty. Obviously we'll have to work hard and be awake and etc etc but frankly if we don't beat Colchester at home after taking 35 points out of the last 39 available then Weird Shit Has Happened.

With that in mind, I would be tempted to start Arthur with Delf and Dapo. They could rotate positionally but I'd provisionally start in that order, left to right. And I would expect Maddison to get at least half an hour replacing one of them – presumably Arthur, who's only played one full game since Halloween (Orient away!). I'd also be looking to make five subs cos we've got a big game on Monday – when we might need plenty of hard work.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:22 pm

If you take a look at the 'Inside Lostock' training compilation video that the club just posted on Twitter, there's a game of keep ball being played with our fist team wearing white bibs and the rest of the squad wearing yellow. Arthur looks to have a white bib...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:26 pm

Every week during this run I've been frightened that this is the game where we dont take one of our few chances or when our keeper gets injured. It's actually been quite nice, and a refreshing change, to worry about the level of success rather than be fretting on failure :D

I'd be tempted to start with Madison and Arthur, just to mix it up a little.

2-0 win.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:26 pm
Every week during this run I've been frightened that this is the game where we dont take one of our few chances or when our keeper gets injured. It's actually been quite nice, and a refreshing change, to worry about the level of success rather than be fretting on failure :D

I'd be tempted to start with Madison and Arthur, just to mix it up a little.

2-0 win.
Agreed on those two. Two games over the weekend, with the Newport one being the toughest on paper. Assuming we might get more time on the ball at home V Colchester and need something to break them down I’d go Maddison and Arthur, saving Isgrove’s discipline for Monday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Play our strongest team against Colchester - get the points in the bag and don't assume anything or try and be too clever. You don't want to start with the wrong tempo and end up missing out and going to Newport having to win. Its quite simple - no game is easy. Every game is potentially a slip up.

So strongest team against Colchester then review for Newport after that. Arthur for me might be in my strongest team anyway but whatever Evatt thinks is his strongest should be picked. Resting players and rotating for the first game IMHO is a bad idea.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:52 pm
Play our strongest team against Colchester - get the points in the bag and don't assume anything or try and be too clever. You don't want to start with the wrong tempo and end up missing out and going to Newport having to win. Its quite simple - no game is easy. Every game is potentially a slip up.

So strongest team against Colchester then review for Newport after that. Arthur for me might be in my strongest team anyway but whatever Evatt thinks is his strongest should be picked. Resting players and rotating for the first game IMHO is a bad idea.
The 'strongest', or most appropriate, team for Colchester might not be the same as the most suitable team vs Newport. The best coaches know how to utilise their squads effectively and pick the right horses for the right courses.

That being said, there's little doubt that for most positions we have starting players who are significantly better than their back-ups. For the three behind Doyle the hierarchy is less clear, so rotating according to who we're playing seems sensible.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:14 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:52 pm

The 'strongest', or most appropriate, team for Colchester might not be the same as the most suitable team vs Newport. The best coaches know how to utilise their squads effectively and pick the right horses for the right courses.

That being said, there's little doubt that for most positions we have starting players who are significantly better than their back-ups. For the three behind Doyle the hierarchy is less clear, so rotating according to who we're playing seems sensible.
Yes I agree. Though I’d say it’s a risk throwing Maddison in from the start as if his work rate isn’t there it could impact on the whole teams tempo. I’d not be assuming one game is easier than the other.

Arthur at home where we want to create chances makes sense vs Isgrove away for a tough fixture of course.

But still I think broadly play the strongest we have game in game out fitness permitting.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:10 pm

Any which way but win. This is our moment, don't let it slip by. COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:29 am

Just a reminder to rectify my earlier error; kick-off today is One-o'clock. Apologies. :oops:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:40 am

Kick offs a bugger actually, I’m going to miss it! Which is a shame as were fans in I would be there with bells on. Be 20 thou on today...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:04 am

I'm working - I'm always working - but the 2pm Zoom meeting might be awkward. Another reason to get a nice early lead – although we've only had two-goal cushions for a combined 88 minutes of this 1170-minute unbeaten run (21 v Orient, 16 v Scunny, 51 at Oldham).