Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Post by DJBlu » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:43 pm
Gethin Jones has been awful today.
No he hasn't.

One bad pass isn't a bad game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:45 pm

Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:37 pm
We’ve lost all shape here. The problem is a lack of tempo early on. When you play slowly you invite teams to get more and more comfortable. Need to inject urgency. Turn them round rather than invite them to squeeze up and watch us pass it. Tempo has been very very poor today.
Maybe the lowered tempo is the tactic?

We all know that Gnahoua getting a start and Maddison coming on as sub is a little unusual. So I suspect that we've got one eye on managing fitness in line of the Newport County 6 pointer on Monday.

We'd be a goal up if it wasn't for a few yards offside earlier in the match. We're not performing our best today but we're not that far off winning.
It’s a terrible tactic if it is one. We don’t deserve to win this game at all. We should have been 100mph today. Don’t win this and a win at Newport might be a must to keep automatic dreams alive. Not where you want to be.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:48 pm

Ooof shame Miller couldn’t connect with that.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:45 pm
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
We’ve lost all shape here. The problem is a lack of tempo early on. When you play slowly you invite teams to get more and more comfortable. Need to inject urgency. Turn them round rather than invite them to squeeze up and watch us pass it. Tempo has been very very poor today.

We all know that Gnahoua getting a start and Maddison coming on as sub is a little unusual. So I suspect that we've got one eye on managing fitness in line of the Newport County 6 pointer on Monday.

We'd be a goal up if it wasn't for a few yards offside earlier in the match. We're not performing our best today but we're not that far off winning.
It’s a terrible tactic if it is one. We don’t deserve to win this game at all. We should have been 100mph today. Don’t win this and a win at Newport might be a must to keep automatic dreams alive. Not where you want to be.
If we were at 100mph from the off today it might cost us in the Newport game which would seem more of an issue than dropping points here. It seems like tactically this should be enough while making rotations to freshen up the side for the Newport match in which i'm fully expecting Isgrove to start.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:50 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

If we were at 100mph from the off today it might cost us in the Newport game which would seem more of an issue than dropping points here. It seems like tactically this should be enough while making rotations to freshen up the side for the Newport match in which i'm fully expecting Isgrove to start.
That’s not how football works. Win here take the momentum to Newport where even if we lost we had these points in the bag. More likely to win there with momentum and less pressure on it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:51 pm

Miller Time
(please)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:41 pm
When I’ve said in recent weeks that fine margining games was likely to see us unstuck there is never a better example of it than here. Ok we might win this. But our inability to find 4th gear let alone 5th on a good run is of concern. We should be able to steamroller the odd game. Yet don’t.
Aye, you've predicted doom every week, which takes some doing while collecting 35 points from 39 :D

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:54 pm

Piss poor since the 30th minute, then dropped into must not lose mentality.

Win at home and draw away if you can.

Pressure well and truly on come Monday.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:50 pm
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

That’s not how football works. Win here take the momentum to Newport where even if we lost we had these points in the bag. More likely to win there with momentum and less pressure on it.
I know what you're getting at and I agree for the most part but there's clearly a reason why teams have large squads with talent and rotate and I suspect two games in four days is one of those reasons. I don't think its sustainable for us to attack as much as we can in this match without taking into consideration the Newport game.
Last edited by Mar on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gethin Jones has been awful today.
I'm not sure I can point to anyone and say 'he's been good'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:56 pm

b0-0

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:56 pm

It's just one of those days. It happens.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Got it wrong today Ian.
Plain and simple. 3 points begging to be got and you tinker with it.
We're going to lose on Monday as we all know how these gambles work.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:38 pm
We're not winning today. chaps, and we don't deserve to either.
Correct.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
When I’ve said in recent weeks that fine margining games was likely to see us unstuck there is never a better example of it than here. Ok we might win this. But our inability to find 4th gear let alone 5th on a good run is of concern. We should be able to steamroller the odd game. Yet don’t.
Aye, you've predicted doom every week, which takes some doing while collecting 35 points from 39 :D
It’s not a case of doom. It’s a case of getting enough points for top 3. We’ve had a great run but never put games to bed. Eventually that can become a problem. We need to play with a higher intensity and in a higher gear sometimes. Run ins demand it as do potentially play off games. And today is a perfect example of one or two things going against you and suddenly that lack of a higher gear costs you two points. And those two points may well be critical.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:50 pm
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I know what you're getting at and I agree for the most part but there's clearly a reason why teams have large squads with talent and rotate and I suspect two games in four days is one of those reasons. I don't think its sustainable for us to attack as much as we can in this match without taking into consideration the Newport game.
When Megson made this point he got hammered and we went and lost the next game anyway. I’m not convinced that today was more than over confidence and not really finding a higher gear but over the past few weeks we’ve done a lot of winning games without getting out of 3rd and for me if we are to go up via any route we need to find 4th gear at least. Our play today was far too slow and ponderous and played right into Colchester’s hands. On Monday we now probably have to win at all costs.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
It’s not a case of doom. It’s a case of getting enough points for top 3. We’ve had a great run but never put games to bed. Eventually that can become a problem. We need to play with a higher intensity and in a higher gear sometimes. Run ins demand it as do potentially play off games. And today is a perfect example of one or two things going against you and suddenly that lack of a higher gear costs you two points. And those two points may well be critical.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56533083

They had zero shots on target. We needed one goal. It wasn't about putting it to bed today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:04 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56533083

They had zero shots on target. We needed one goal. It wasn't about putting it to bed today.
For me it was about stepping it up and we’d have won comfortably. Onward and upwards as they say but hopefully with more intent and urgency and less knocking it round between our centre backs.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mate, it's *always* a case of doom with you. You venerate Parky now but predicted failure all through his promotion season. Guess it's the way you're built. As my old gran used to say, "He can't help it, but he could get out less." :D

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:01 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:54 pm
When Megson made this point he got hammered and we went and lost the next game anyway. I’m not convinced that today was more than over confidence and not really finding a higher gear but over the past few weeks we’ve done a lot of winning games without getting out of 3rd and for me if we are to go up via any route we need to find 4th gear at least. Our play today was far too slow and ponderous and played right into Colchester’s hands. On Monday we now probably have to win at all costs.
Megson seemed to do that to cater towards Gartside's desire to get out of the UEFA cup as it wasn't a revenue generator which will forever leave me with a distaste for Megson (who plays a B team in the UEFA cup, way to highlight ambition, no wonder we lost against 10 man Wigan the next week).
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
We're bound to be frustrated by this result and hopefully it doesn't cost us too much in the long run. We didn't do enough to get us over the line today. Hopefully this will be the warning shot to up the tempo for the Newport game and the rest of the season.