Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8985
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:22 am

Not us I tell thee!
A bit of rotation for tired legs and a breakthrough for Maddison after his reappearance yesterday. No massed defence to get through as they need a win more than we do.
0-2 (Doyle at the double).
...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10371
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:21 am

Yep, think we might sneak this. 2-1 to the supers, late winning goal by one of the full backs.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7899
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:26 am

Would be great to see Sarc back, even if only on the bench. I'm not sure about starting Madison in a tough game away from home, perhaps Elbouzadi might be more suitable?

Anyway, a tough encounter. They looked very good at ours earlier in the season and will present a physical challenge.

0-0 draw
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20218
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:04 am

Elbo's pace on the break is more useful in a team which will come at us rather than sit deep. Still not sure I'd start him though. Assuming Sarce is injured I'd revert to Dapo-Delf-Isgrove with Elbo and Arthur adding pace and trickery late on.

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:04 am
Elbo's pace on the break is more useful in a team which will come at us rather than sit deep. Still not sure I'd start him though. Assuming Sarce is injured I'd revert to Dapo-Delf-Isgrove with Elbo and Arthur adding pace and trickery late on.
Agree. This is not the time to be starting Madison as he looks a shadow of the player he was. Isgrove in for Arthur would be my only change and we should have Jenson on the bench. We really missed Sarcevic yesterday but we don't want to risk bringing him back too quickly. Be great to have him back for the last few games though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25200
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 am

One change, assuming Sarce is still crocked. Isgrove in for Arthur. Maddison managed 70% passing accuracy yesterday, which is at the low end (for us), but an improvement the last two games over previous, so he's edging up, which is good news, at least he's now in the ballpark. But not yet a starter for me.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8985
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:28 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:26 am
Would be great to see Sarc back, even if only on the bench. I'm not sure about starting Madison in a tough game away from home, perhaps Elbouzadi might be more suitable?

Anyway, a tough encounter. They looked very good at ours earlier in the season and will present a physical challenge.

0-0 draw
I'm not convinced about starting him either, but I think Evatt is itching to be proven right about him and this could be where he chucks him in. I expect isgrove to.start though for his workrate and covering ability. Might kick it straight as well, he's due one!
...

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20218
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 am
Maddison managed 70% passing accuracy yesterday, which is at the low end (for us), but an improvement the last two games over previous, so he's edging up, which is good news, at least he's now in the ballpark. But not yet a starter for me.
Interesting. Qualitatively I'd say that's because he played it safer more often, laying off rather than attempting the spectacular; that's good but obviously there's a sweet-spot - he was hired precisely because he can be a conjuror rather than a Comley. Still, I don't think Newport - one of only two games we have left against top-seven teams - is the game to start him. Arthur's had far better cameos and remained benched, and yesterday we got an idea why.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2318
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:07 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:22 am

0-2 (Doyle at the double).

No goals for Delph Boy? :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38965
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:18 pm

Nothing you don't know; A clear Sherlock statement as D.S.B's chart shows, , but....it's down to Cigar's (if anybody still smokes em), coconuts and goldfish now . It's so close run just anything can happen.If we have genuine intent to be top liners, we have to win them all, no ifs and buts. If they maintain form, Cambridge and Cheltenham look clear, with just two points separating the next four (of which we're one). We have to ignore what others are doing and just win our games. If we win we'll do it. Elementary..what? . :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25200
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:22 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 am
Maddison managed 70% passing accuracy yesterday, which is at the low end (for us), but an improvement the last two games over previous, so he's edging up, which is good news, at least he's now in the ballpark. But not yet a starter for me.
Interesting. Qualitatively I'd say that's because he played it safer more often, laying off rather than attempting the spectacular; that's good but obviously there's a sweet-spot - he was hired precisely because he can be a conjuror rather than a Comley. Still, I don't think Newport - one of only two games we have left against top-seven teams - is the game to start him. Arthur's had far better cameos and remained benched, and yesterday we got an idea why.
He'd have to push his pass completion up a ways to match Comley who wouldn't be in the team for me either. :-) I understand that magicians work differently, but when no rabbit comes from the hat, they're ultimately disappointing.

There is always likely to be the opposing views of "he's passed it to no feck*" vs "x should have had the anticipation to be there." Either way, I'm not seeing a stand out L1 player, playing in L2, the better players find a way to make it work by understanding where their team mates are and adapting accordingly, rather than the realms of the truly strange notion that some player on a higher plane of spirituality would've known the messiah had put it on a plate, if only they were Messi. Key part of the game is understanding your team mates capabilities.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20218
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:22 pm
He'd have to push his pass completion up a ways to match Comley who wouldn't be in the team for me either. :-) I understand that magicians work differently, but when no rabbit comes from the hat, they're ultimately disappointing.

There is always likely to be the opposing views of "he's passed it to no feck*" vs "x should have had the anticipation to be there." Either way, I'm not seeing a stand out L1 player, playing in L2, the better players find a way to make it work by understanding where their team mates are and adapting accordingly, rather than the realms of the truly strange notion that some player on a higher plane of spirituality would've known the messiah had put it on a plate, if only they were Messi. Key part of the game is understanding your team mates capabilities.
Oh, agreed. He needs end product - goals, assists, key passes. He's been here two months now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27878
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 am
Maddison managed 70% passing accuracy yesterday, which is at the low end (for us), but an improvement the last two games over previous, so he's edging up, which is good news, at least he's now in the ballpark. But not yet a starter for me.
Interesting. Qualitatively I'd say that's because he played it safer more often, laying off rather than attempting the spectacular; that's good but obviously there's a sweet-spot - he was hired precisely because he can be a conjuror rather than a Comley. Still, I don't think Newport - one of only two games we have left against top-seven teams - is the game to start him. Arthur's had far better cameos and remained benched, and yesterday we got an idea why.
I will point out that Arthur has played better from a start previously. Friday he was poor granted. But a bit harsh to suggest that’s it. Dapo was equally poor and has been for a couple of games now. It’s the way it goes.

I’d not be starting Maddison at Newport but surely he has to come good at some point?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25200
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 am
Maddison managed 70% passing accuracy yesterday, which is at the low end (for us), but an improvement the last two games over previous, so he's edging up, which is good news, at least he's now in the ballpark. But not yet a starter for me.
Interesting. Qualitatively I'd say that's because he played it safer more often, laying off rather than attempting the spectacular; that's good but obviously there's a sweet-spot - he was hired precisely because he can be a conjuror rather than a Comley. Still, I don't think Newport - one of only two games we have left against top-seven teams - is the game to start him. Arthur's had far better cameos and remained benched, and yesterday we got an idea why.
I will point out that Arthur has played better from a start previously. Friday he was poor granted. But a bit harsh to suggest that’s it. Dapo was equally poor and has been for a couple of games now. It’s the way it goes.

I’d not be starting Maddison at Newport but surely he has to come good at some point?
I'd still have Arthur off the bench in front of Maddison at the moment. I don't have either of them as "never starting". Just not on Monday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25200
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:52 am

Mind, if we were getting a lot of free kicks in range, I might switch that to save Dapo hitting the wall half way up.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20218
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:15 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:37 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 am
Maddison managed 70% passing accuracy yesterday, which is at the low end (for us), but an improvement the last two games over previous, so he's edging up, which is good news, at least he's now in the ballpark. But not yet a starter for me.
Interesting. Qualitatively I'd say that's because he played it safer more often, laying off rather than attempting the spectacular; that's good but obviously there's a sweet-spot - he was hired precisely because he can be a conjuror rather than a Comley. Still, I don't think Newport - one of only two games we have left against top-seven teams - is the game to start him. Arthur's had far better cameos and remained benched, and yesterday we got an idea why.
I will point out that Arthur has played better from a start previously. Friday he was poor granted. But a bit harsh to suggest that’s it. Dapo was equally poor and has been for a couple of games now. It’s the way it goes.

I’d not be starting Maddison at Newport but surely he has to come good at some point?
I'd still have Arthur off the bench in front of Maddison at the moment. I don't have either of them as "never starting". Just not on Monday.
This. I'm not saying Arthur should never start again, that's an absurd extrapolation. Just not in a tough game, and not after that performance.

For the record, Arthur’s started five league games: Barrow away, Bradford home, Orient away, Orient home and Morecambe home. He played very well in the Orient home game, the others much less so; not as bad as Friday, but not really good enough to suggest he should start again. Competition for places isn't effective unless effected.

Besides, I think against Newport we need wide attackers with more defensive diligence. I agree that Dapo wasn't brilliant either but he averages 2.4 tackles per 90 minutes, more even than MJ, while Arthur's on 0.7 per 90 minutes.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38965
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am


I’d not be starting Maddison at Newport but surely he has to come good at some point?
Just a general observation, but Madison (in our set up) is surely the one weapon opposing managers will know least about when making dastardly plans to upset our game?. With the increased sub allowance, start him and pull him off if it isn't working. We have plenty in-depth replacements and Madison is surely fresh and full of energy right now. He may just be an answer to give the opposition the run around .

Like I said, just a general observation not based on any particular knowledge.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27878
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am


I’d not be starting Maddison at Newport but surely he has to come good at some point?
Just a general observation, but Madison (in our set up) is surely the one weapon opposing managers will know least about when making dastardly plans to upset our game?. With the increased sub allowance, start him and pull him off if it isn't working. We have plenty in-depth replacements and Madison is surely fresh and full of energy right now. He may just be an answer to give the opposition the run around .

Like I said, just a general observation not based on any particular knowledge.
He’s well known about I guess but if he found form he’d be the hardest to stop. It’s a question of him finding form. And perhaps the right attitude. But talent is there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25200
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am


I’d not be starting Maddison at Newport but surely he has to come good at some point?
Just a general observation, but Madison (in our set up) is surely the one weapon opposing managers will know least about when making dastardly plans to upset our game?. With the increased sub allowance, start him and pull him off if it isn't working. We have plenty in-depth replacements and Madison is surely fresh and full of energy right now. He may just be an answer to give the opposition the run around .

Like I said, just a general observation not based on any particular knowledge.
Have you been watching the games, Tango? I hope he'll have his moments in the sun for us and help us gain promotion. I want to see the player folks who have witnessed making the difference for us. I doubt starting him, then yanking him off after 30 if he's not tackling back, in a key match, would help him nor us.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:05 pm

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by enrdentw » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:50 pm

I would go with the same 11 that started against FGR.

Surprised there is talk of Sarc coming back in. Thought he was out for the rest of the season. Perhaps Evatt is playing games?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 19 guests