Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who'll parade their plonkers at the Rodney? - Newport away April 5th, 3pm

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:44 pm

There was something in Evatts pre match press bit before Colchester that Sarce injury wasn’t as bad as they thought and he was traveling down to Newport. But I think the traveling bit was more about supporting the squad than playing.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:13 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:44 pm
There was something in Evatts pre match press bit before Colchester that Sarce injury wasn’t as bad as they thought and he was traveling down to Newport. But I think the traveling bit was more about supporting the squad than playing.
Nod, nod, wink, wink

Would have taken 4 points from Colchester and Newport. Fingers crossed Sarce is back and leads us to victory.

COYWM

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:24 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ted-clash/
Ian Evatt is refusing to put a timescale on his return but says the location of the tear means he cannot rush him back into action.

“It was a strange one,” he said. “It is on the tendon and if it was in the belly of the hamstring it would be regulation, really, but with the tendon, it complicates things.

“At the moment he is pain free and he wants to kick on again but because of where the tear is there’s a risk of more significant and longer term damage and we don’t want to take that risk.

“For now we will just keep monitoring him. He’s going to keep pushing, as he does and wants to and he wants to be everywhere to support the lads, whether that’s in the UniBol on Friday or in Wales on Monday, Sarce wants to be a big part of it, which is great.”
The direct reference to being in Wales is about "supporting the lads".

It wouldn't be the first time there'd been some wool-pulling, but it would be a weird way to go about a shock reveal. "He's going to Wales, but only to watch." Seems to me like Evatt was just answering a question about his skipper's injury and basically said we can't keep him off the bus.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:24 pm
Ian Evatt is refusing to put a timescale on his return but says the location of the tear means he cannot rush him back into action.

“It was a strange one,” he said. “It is on the tendon and if it was in the belly of the hamstring it would be regulation, really, but with the tendon, it complicates things.

“At the moment he is pain free and he wants to kick on again but because of where the tear is there’s a risk of more significant and longer term damage and we don’t want to take that risk.

“For now we will just keep monitoring him. He’s going to keep pushing, as he does and wants to and he wants to be everywhere to support the lads, whether that’s in the UniBol on Friday or in Wales on Monday, Sarce wants to be a big part of it, which is great.”

It wouldn't be the first time there'd been some wool-pulling, but it would be a weird way to go about a shock reveal. "He's going to Wales, but only to watch." Seems to me like Evatt was just answering a question about his skipper's injury and basically said we can't keep him off the bus.
He went to FGR to support too...First off the bus.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:27 pm

It's as you would expect, to be honest, especially for the captain. That's not to minimise it - good lad, Sarce, well done - but you're supposed to be a leader of a team; not a good luck if you can't be arsed going 'cos you have a soft-tissue injury. COVID, or a broken leg (or something else that makes a long journey uncomfortable) - fine. But if it's a tweak or a suspension, get on the f**kin bus, skipper.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:26 pm

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:40 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:27 pm

It's as you would expect, to be honest, especially for the captain. That's not to minimise it - good lad, Sarce, well done - but you're supposed to be a leader of a team; not a good luck if you can't be arsed going 'cos you have a soft-tissue injury. COVID, or a broken leg (or something else that makes a long journey uncomfortable) - fine. But if it's a tweak or a suspension, get on the f**kin bus, skipper.
Many that wouldn’t. We’ve had many that wouldn’t. I remember a certain favourite of Bruce Rioja traipsing round the Trafford Centre while we were getting hammered away from home and he was supposedly injured. Wasn’t captain but still, if he was he still wouldn’t have bothered.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:26 pm
Many that wouldn’t. We’ve had many that wouldn’t. I remember a certain favourite of Bruce Rioja traipsing round the Trafford Centre while we were getting hammered away from home and he was supposedly injured. Wasn’t captain but still, if he was he still wouldn’t have bothered.
Oh I can believe it happens, chap. And as I say I applaud Sarce for being there – but I'm just saying it's a bit like applauding Dave Grohl for being A Nice Bloke In Showbiz: it shouldn't be a remarkable exception, really.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm

I remember being shocked as a kid to hear that certain players were delighted to be told they were out for a month with a muscle strain. Mum was a decent runner and was getting physio from Wanderers physio, he was amazed a 40 year amateur who worked full time and 2 kids was so desperate to avoid missing training. Said there was many.a pro footballer was chuffed to get a lie in.
Would hope it's more professional than that now.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:52 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm
I remember being shocked as a kid to hear that certain players were delighted to be told they were out for a month with a muscle strain. Mum was a decent runner and was getting physio from Wanderers physio, he was amazed a 40 year amateur who worked full time and 2 kids was so desperate to avoid missing training. Said there was many.a pro footballer was chuffed to get a lie in.
Would hope it's more professional than that now.
Interesting. I guess the difference is that the things we do as amateurs, we tend to do for love. For footballers it's a job, and there's not many of us who haven't at least swung the lead at work, or skipped a day altogether if possible. However, it's not something you want your leaders to do. If I (as a worker) suspected my team leader was less than committed to the cause, I'd be demotivated.

It's not even about loyalty or the badge, really – if the captain moves to a bigger club, that's part of it; if my manager gets a better job elsewhere, so's that. Just don't expect me to run through walls for you if you take a day off at the merest chance, is all.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:00 pm

I think Iles reported it as if he was in contention to play (at Newport, but not quite fit Friday). Not supported by the quotes, but then there could be other bits that don't make it into the article that lean that way.

The alternative is that I've remembered it wrong, which seems unlikely.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:53 pm

Eee Aye Eee Aye Eee Aye oh....COYWM

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:40 am

So, I'm reading here summat about Evatt going with a more attacking line-up. Do we have one per-se (assuming Sarce isn't fit)?
What I see is a bunch of players who don't seem to have 90 minutes in them and the only way I can see us becoming 'more attacking' is to make about four changes either at, or shortly after half time. Changes to include a shuffle between; Isgrove, Thomason, Maddison, Gnu, Delfonso, Miller, Afolayan and Zeberdee.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 am

Today we might just fire off and earn a solid win. Can't add much else of value except a rousing "COME ON YOU WHITES..... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:40 am
So, I'm reading here summat about Evatt going with a more attacking line-up. Do we have one per-se (assuming Sarce isn't fit)?
What I see is a bunch of players who don't seem to have 90 minutes in them and the only way I can see us becoming 'more attacking' is to make about four changes either at, or shortly after half time. Changes to include a shuffle between; Isgrove, Thomason, Maddison, Gnu, Delfonso, Miller, Afolayan and Zeberdee.
Could start Miller with Doyle? Or maybe playing Maddison is more attacking by default cos he can’t be arsed defending?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:40 am
If you’re reading that in the BN, Bruce, you might be reading a meaning into it that isn’t there IMO. The headline says “attacking changes”, which could mean either “changes in attack” or “changes to be more attacking”; from the text below - the bit Iles writes rather than a desk sub-editor/SEO maximiser - I don’t see a suggestion that we might be cranking it up. One of the suggested possibilities is Thomason, for instance, presumably for a more solid midfield 3 as at FGR. But the quotes are Evatt saying neither Dapo, Delf nor Darthur excelled v Colchester and hinting that none of them could complain if dropped / “rotated out”.

That’s how I read it anyway. To go more attacking I suppose we could pick Miller with Doyle, or as Dibs says Maddison because he might offer more going forward at the expense of less digging back. But this would be a curious match to go gung-ho. (I suspect we will see Jensen on the bench, for instance.)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Lot of talk about the pitch looking a bit patchy on B.N. Also Arthur running around with the normally un-used lads. Significant?

Edit..Isgrove and Thomasson in, Artur and Afolayan out.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Safe to say that's not an attacking line up.

Dapo dropped, Arthur not in the 18. Thomasson and Isgrove in.

Dead cert 4-0 to Bolton.

COYWM.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:10 pm

Keeper on the bench.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:12 pm

Fingers crossed we’ve not got MJ and Thomason in front of the defence again. That really didn’t work against Forest Green.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:16 pm

A wild prediction, but the Jones boy to burst forth and score today. :oyea: