Something in the water? V Harrogate, home, 3-0'clock Sat 10-04 -21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Something in the water? V Harrogate, home, 3-0'clock Sat 10-04 -21

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:00 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:56 pm
Very encouraging comeback. Must admit at halftime I was annoyed and decided that on that performance I couldn't justify letting the future Mrs LE grout the bathroom alone, so I switched off. Was delighted to see the final score.
And the reason for our turnaround is right there..
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:00 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:56 pm
Very encouraging comeback. Must admit at halftime I was annoyed and decided that on that performance I couldn't justify letting the future Mrs LE grout the bathroom alone, so I switched off. Was delighted to see the final score.
And the reason for our turnaround is right there..
From the grousing to the grouting.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Great 3 points but what an awful, piss poor, lethargic performance, a very lucky win. We have never been a lucky club but these past few weeks someone is smiling on us.

Well done young George Thomason, at least one player with some bollocks. The reason for our turnaround for me is the fact that the rest of the league is shite. Talk about leaders & characters how come we have none of them ? Most of our players need to grow a pair and learn how to fight & complete.

Made up with the win, but seriously concerned about another poor half arsed performance.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:12 pm
I'm looking through these comments and scratching my head. There doesn't appear to be a single mention (apologies if I've missed it) of the one thing which actually won us the game today, and that is that we have an absolute class act up top in Eoin Doyle. The way upon which he pounced on their lad's mistake, carried it and turned it into a goal out of nothing was soooo far above anything else that this division has to offer was almost embarrassing.
Absolutely superb stuff.
Works his bollocks off as well. Good shout.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:01 pm

Doyle always works his bollocks off, its the amount of chances that he needs to score a goal that is the issue, but Doyle is a proper fighter he never gives less than 100%.

Maddison on the other end what a waste, I was absolutely made up when he signed but what a sad up his own arse waster he really is, he could have ripped League 2 apart with the ability he has but he's more into himself & his tattoo's than any football club.

I can't see him starting any more games this season....what a waste.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:02 pm

I don't think it was "lethargic" today. I think.it was backs to the wall at times and we got it tactically wrong in the first half. Every time we're not totally dominant we're lethargic or not trying. I don't think that was the case today at all.

They played well first half, hit some decent triangles and moved us out of position pretty well. Before today, they'd only won three less than us. They know how to win, but aren't as good at not losing.

I agree that Thomason made the difference as a tactical change, but I don't think he was the difference in isolation, it gave Lee and Williams more breathing space and we looked better collectively.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:02 pm
I don't think it was "lethargic" today. I think.it was backs to the wall at times and we got it tactically wrong in the first half. Every time we're not totally dominant we're lethargic or not trying. I don't think that was the case today at all.

They played well first half, hit some decent triangles and moved us out of position pretty well. Before today, they'd only won three less than us. They know how to win, but aren't as good at not losing.

I agree that Thomason made the difference as a tactical change, but I don't think he was the difference in isolation, it gave Lee and Williams more breathing space and we looked better collectively.
For all the discussion about tactics for me first half was a classic case of Harrogate came out completely committed played full throttle and they won just about all their individual battles over the pitch. We were not at the races and certainly not facing up to it.

Second half we changed that and beyond any tactics we started pressing them working harder and matching their work rate.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:51 pm

And they were a bit shagged.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:04 pm

Last couple of games it hasn't felt like we've controlled the game and the tempo like we did in many of the previous games. Vale, Bradford, Forest Green etc

They prevented us from playing out from the back, so we resorted to often just lumping it forward but the 3 behind Doyle were incapable of making it stick. Personally I've been wanting us to be a little quicker and more direct at times but not like this!

We'll have to play much much better to get a point on Tuesday, let alone a win.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:54 pm

We’ve been back to half a performance - first half at Newport and second half here. I don’t think it’s anything more than end of the season football madness now. Though starting today with 10 men didn’t help.

As a sort of aside -
Denis Politic and Ronan Darcy. Denis back in training now but it feels like it would be one hell of a Hail Mary to throw him in...MM’s place on the bench though? And same question for Darcy...wonder where he is at?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:54 pm
We’ve been back to half a performance - first half at Newport and second half here. I don’t think it’s anything more than end of the season football madness now. Though starting today with 10 men didn’t help.

As a sort of aside -
Denis Politic and Ronan Darcy. Denis back in training now but it feels like it would be one hell of a Hail Mary to throw him in...MM’s place on the bench though? And same question for Darcy...wonder where he is at?
Politic I assume won’t be risked this season, but would have been a nice option for us if he were fit. Darcy has been completely frozen out and there must be a doubt about him being here next season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:26 pm

Yeah, I'd actually forgotten about Darcy...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:31 pm
You see the tempo Harrogate..,yes Harrogate.... no win in 5 near bottom of league two are playing with...well that. Is that too much to ask a team going for automatic promotion with ‘7 cup finals left’ to play at?
How did it work out for them?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
You see the tempo Harrogate..,yes Harrogate.... no win in 5 near bottom of league two are playing with...well that. Is that too much to ask a team going for automatic promotion with ‘7 cup finals left’ to play at?
Drama time. We'd should've already subbed everyone but John by this point....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
When we stepped the tempo up, something young George mentioned in his post match interview we won the game. I rest my case. We are a team that does best playing at tempo, not when we play slowly.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Don't think he's right. We didn't have "tempo" in the first half not because of desire, but because we were overrun. You don't have tempo defending. Thomason gave us more stability, more time when we weren't chasing our ass. Unsurprisingly we looked more coherent and shock horror going forward seemed to have "more tempo". Oh and they looked a bit more shagged at the back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:43 am

First goalscorer Kieron Lee. Behind goal camera shows his touch (intentional?) takes it in, Lloyds shot was going wide.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:03 am

Lee can't have touched it. On current form, if he had, it would definitely have gone wide!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:17 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:43 am
First goalscorer Kieron Lee. Behind goal camera shows his touch (intentional?) takes it in, Lloyds shot was going wide.
Doesn't look intentional to me. Looks rather fortunate to be honest.

Loving the swearing by Doyle. Fkin yes!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:20 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:43 am
The other thing from that camera, for a set of can't be arseds without passion, they don't half sound delighted.