Time to batter the fish wives? Grimsby (A) - Sat 17th Apr 12:30 KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to batter the fish wives? Grimsby (A) - Sat 17th Apr 12:30 KO

Post by boltonboris » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm

We lost a game. It happens.

We will continue to play the same way that has seen us get into the Automatic spots.

We have a process and now, an identity. It would be foolish to do anything else than keep on keeping on with it.

Have faith.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:09 pm

^^
This.

Just.."COME ON YOU WHITES"....That's what we're here for or we might as well just support Manchester United or Liverpool. Ugh...The very thought.. :vomit:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:27 pm

I suspect Sam was hyping up his own achievements when he was talking about saving us from going bust as he is known to do.

Big Sam would've left us in a heartbeat to manage the United job and I suspect that early on he was edging towards what would get him those top jobs. He still probably is doing that but a certain negative reputation isn't helping.

Whichever way we look back on it Sams time was successful due to adaptation of new technologies and a money ball approach. A large part of that would've been adopted during that second season in the championship. It may have worked out for the better going up the first time but I suspect it wouldn't have gone as well.

This season took a long while to get going and now everyone is pulling in the right direction. There will be peaks and troughs but generally were going up. I think now it's a case of keep belief in the process and maximising the end product.

FWIW I think best case scenario is we go up this season, but I wouldn't be too disheartened if we weren't to make it. We seem to be heading in the right direction both on and off the field and the remarkable work Evatt has done this season should hopefully be carried on next season.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:48 pm

Not a great performance and perhaps some tactical/selection errors from Evatt, but hopefully not disastrous in the context of the season as a whole.

However, the awful finishing and set pieces are a bit of a concern. They’ve been areas of weakness for the entire season and one of the main reasons I’m pining for Sarce. Yes, he’s unlikely to come back and immediately start bossing the show, but he’s a calm head who knows where the net is.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:53 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm

We will continue to play the same way that has seen us get into the Automatic spots.

We have a process and now, an identity. It would be foolish to do anything else than keep on keeping on with it.

Have faith.
Newport away was the first time in ages (Mansfield Away?) that I could remember where we didn't control the match. Up to that afternoon, we'd had a long run where we had all the possession, created the more chances and looked the more likely winners. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of Bradford, Vale, Southend, Oldham, Forest Green, etc.

Since Newport there's been Harrogate, Salford and Grimsby. Perhaps its me and my innate pessimism where Wanderers are concerned, that I haven't felt we've been in control of any of them like we were in those previous examples. An example of DSBs confirmation bias perhaps?

Have we been sussed, are we tired or is this minor blip just a case of the other dog just having a bit more fight in it?

'Keep doing what we're doing' will look like folly if we go to the end of season scoring only a goal a game and not being on the right side of the fine margins as often as we were at the start of this run.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:53 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Have faith.
Newport away was the first time in ages (Mansfield Away?) that I could remember where we didn't control the match. Up to that afternoon, we'd had a long run where we had all the possession, created the more chances and looked the more likely winners. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of Bradford, Vale, Southend, Oldham, Forest Green, etc.

Since Newport there's been Harrogate, Salford and Grimsby. Perhaps its me and my innate pessimism where Wanderers are concerned, that I haven't felt we've been in control of any of them like we were in those previous examples. An example of DSBs confirmation bias perhaps?

Have we been sussed, are we tired or is this minor blip just a case of the other dog just having a bit more fight in it?

'Keep doing what we're doing' will look like folly if we go to the end of season scoring only a goal a game and not being on the right side of the fine margins as often as we were at the start of this run.
I’d say this is true up to Colchester. Perhaps even a little before it. We started to look more shaky in one way or another. I do think teams have identified our weaknesses to some extent. But also we’ve had some issues all the way through. Even in our best run we didn’t score as many goals as a lot of our rivals. Throughout I’d say scoring goals and putting teams to bed has been tough. And I said then that not being prolific would potentially cost us when it really mattered because it’s one thing grinding out games by tight margins when there is little pressure but another thing when there is the pressure of a run in.

I think people see it as highly critical when in reality I feel we probably just lack some mental ingredients more than on the pitch ones. Perhaps as you say tiredness has crept in but that in itself is not easy to remedy. I absolutely would have take this position in January. That doesn’t make it a bit disappointing that we had a much needed cushion and now our final 4 fixtures are all tough and looks like we need 3 wins potentially with a draw thrown in against sides with something to play for and our form is definitely not what it was a month ago.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:31 pm

I’d agree it’s not a conscious lack of desire. It’s something hard to define. And again I’m not talking style. Rioch’s team probably the best example of a team that almost always turned up with intensity and tempo and the ‘x factor’ required to get the job done but they weren’t a 2 chance a game long ball side. Same for Todd’s champions - though that team had exceptional characters in it. Perhaps it is down to a lack of strong characters in our side now?
Shortly after that brilliant night at Anfield I watched that Rioch side get done over at Stockport, who looked more up for it than us. Happens to the best.
Bad day, but that win at Salford still happened, we're still third.
I agree there are things lacking, but there's more good stuff than bad going on. We will do it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:14 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Have faith.

I’d say this is true up to Colchester. Perhaps even a little before it. We started to look more shaky in one way or another. I do think teams have identified our weaknesses to some extent. But also we’ve had some issues all the way through. Even in our best run we didn’t score as many goals as a lot of our rivals. Throughout I’d say scoring goals and putting teams to bed has been tough. And I said then that not being prolific would potentially cost us when it really mattered because it’s one thing grinding out games by tight margins when there is little pressure but another thing when there is the pressure of a run in.

I think people see it as highly critical when in reality I feel we probably just lack some mental ingredients more than on the pitch ones. Perhaps as you say tiredness has crept in but that in itself is not easy to remedy. I absolutely would have take this position in January. That doesn’t make it a bit disappointing that we had a much needed cushion and now our final 4 fixtures are all tough and looks like we need 3 wins potentially with a draw thrown in against sides with something to play for and our form is definitely not what it was a month ago.
This lack if goals compared to our rivals...there's only Cambridge and Morcambe significantly ahead in the top 7 and Morcambe, I think have same GD as us because they've conceded significantly more, too.

Cambridge 62,
Cheltenham 54,
Bolton 52,
Morcambe 62,
Tranmere 52,
FGR 54,
Newport 49.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:20 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

No idea whether this will prove or disprove your theory but here's the numbers from the last 18 games, since The Run started.
Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 18.18.47.png
Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 18.18.47.png (301.72 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:20 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

No idea whether this will prove or disprove your theory but here's the numbers from the last 18 games, since The Run started.
Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 18.18.47.png
Expected goals is interesting and perhaps reflects that there are a number of games in the run we won that we didn’t particularly ‘dominate’ in terms of chances.

Also shows how much better than is Grimsby were.

Any chance you could show a similar chart for other in the race over a similar period? If that’s a lot of effort don’t bother. Just interested in how we stack up there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 pm

Ha, no, I haven’t got that info - but it will be on Experimental 361.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 pm
Ha, no, I haven’t got that info - but it will be on Experimental 361.
Thanks. Had a quick mooch. We are 7th in expected goals league table and Tranmere 13th. We are the big outliers with Tranmere in actual position vs expected goals league. Perhaps does reflect we’ve won a lot of games by small margins and not always convincingly. Hope we are just good at that rather than our league position being about to even itself out.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:55 pm

Its a strange situation with football fans, if we had lost to Salford and beat grimsby as many perhaps expected we quite clearly would be on exactly the number of points we are now.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:55 pm
Its a strange situation with football fans, if we had lost to Salford and beat grimsby as many perhaps expected we quite clearly would be on exactly the number of points we are now.
That is exactly what i expected, so I'm not going to let yesterday's result spoil a superb victory on Tuesday.
It is a worry that we've become too predictable, bit if we do things properly our players should beat anyone else's players even if they know what we're going to do. Stuff like our appalling set piece record makes me worry that things aren't being done properly enough, but we'll see.
I was convinced that parky's boys had blown it until the unexpected demolition of Fleetwood. You just can't predict this.
There are 2 possibilities.
Promotion.
New grounds.

Bring it on! :oyea:

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:28 am

It is what it is. Saturday has gone now and we keep looking forward. Evatt earns his corn now by lifting the players and getting them firing again.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:42 am

I’d like to think we could go into that last game at crawley in third. If we don’t it’s because we have run out of steam. Not through a lack of effort. We were never coming from 18th and winning the league with 3 games to go!

Big game Tuesday. The obvious thing to change for me is getting either Delf or Miller in there on the basis that they know where the goal is. Maybe Doyle needs a rest? I expect Morecambe to win at Grimsby so nothing less than a win will do!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:07 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:42 am
I’d like to think we could go into that last game at crawley in third. If we don’t it’s because we have run out of steam. Not through a lack of effort. We were never coming from 18th and winning the league with 3 games to go!

Big game Tuesday. The obvious thing to change for me is getting either Delf or Miller in there on the basis that they know where the goal is. Maybe Doyle needs a rest? I expect Morecambe to win at Grimsby so nothing less than a win will do!
Agree we need a win. But I would say, Grimsby won't be telling themselves there's no point in them trying, they could go onto 40 points, 4 off "staying up". I expect Morecambe to win, but it's a funny old game...

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 am

The most worrying thing was how asleep we were at the start of the game.They just knocked a simple ball through and allowed the bloke to pick his spot. So complacent.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am

Gudnisson Trotter wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 am
The most worrying thing was how asleep we were at the start of the game.They just knocked a simple ball through and allowed the bloke to pick his spot. So complacent.
Yes its the same at the start of the 2nd half of games, we almost always start very slowly & lethargic. Personally I think that this is down to a lack of leaders on the pitch, either that or Evatt's team talks before the start & at half time need to improve to get the players fired up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:33 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am
Gudnisson Trotter wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 am
Yes its the same at the start of the 2nd half of games, we almost always start very slowly & lethargic. Personally I think that this is down to a lack of leaders on the pitch, either that or Evatt's team talks before the start & at half time need to improve to get the players fired up.
They need to be reminded that when they hear a bloke blow a whistle, then it's time to fcuking go! :-)