Time to batter the fish wives? Grimsby (A) - Sat 17th Apr 12:30 KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Time to batter the fish wives? Grimsby (A) - Sat 17th Apr 12:30 KO

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Well 5 games left and I reckon this could be one of the toughest. Grimsby are fighting for their league existence and we want to maintain daylight between us and the bindippers.

It'll either be another 1-0 to us or a hard fought 3-2 to us. Our destiny is purely in our hands. And the kettle is at the ready!
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Time to batter the fish wives? Grimsby (A) - Sat 17th Apr 12:30 KO

Post by DJBlu » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:10 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:41 pm
Well 5 games left and I reckon this could be one of the toughest. Grimsby are fighting for their league existence and we want to maintain daylight between us and the bindippers.

It'll either be another 1-0 to us or a hard fought 3-2 to us. Our destiny is purely in our hands. And the kettle is at the ready!
Thinking the same. Lot's of effort required last night to get the 3 points. Thomasson looked knackered at the end. Gonna take some recovery to be up to the standard required to get a result.

Hopefully they'll be able to get the job done.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:31 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Often works out that way. As ever it’s a massive massive game. Obviously we want a win but a point wouldn’t necessarily be disastrous. What we want to avoid IMO is going to Morecambe where they can leapfrog us with a win. Would make that a bit nervy.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:58 pm

A bit of a quandary this one for Evatt. Do you stick with the more defensive 4-3-3 we've been playing since the second half of the Harrogate game netting us 6 points, or do you go a bit more attacking and put Delfouneso in at CAM in place of Thomason.

I'd stick with the lineup against Salford, then you can always bring on the attacking cavalry if they're proving hard to break down.

Won't be easy, the Mariners are currently scrapping for their lives down there.

It's not like they're getting pummelled by teams. Before their defeat to the hands of Bradford last weekend they were eight unbeaten, grafting out draws against Carlisle, Tranmere, Salford and Cheltenham :shock:

Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 13.55.08.png
Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 13.55.08.png (35.73 KiB) Viewed 2319 times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:57 pm

Going off previous of late, a 1-0 win is most likely what we'll get. Anything else is bonus. To end our season not relegated would have been a pipe dream not too long back. Even the most rose-tinted optimists (like me) would hardly dare to hope for where we are now.. Team spirit, good management and hard work deserve what we have.

Keep the foot on the pedal, earn our pla(i)ce dont flounder and avoid flukes at all cost, even haking (pun) bones. Above all hope our s(kipper) and the lads land a net full at Grimsby. COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:07 pm

I don't really have a list of easy and hard games left. Logic should dictate it'd be easier to beat Grimsby than Morcambe but as others have mentioned, they're going to be scrapping. It's probably more "must win" for them than us. I'm hoping we have enough guile and legs left after what was a hard fought 3 points yesterday. I'm also hoping they don't park the bus, as they're more in need of three points than one.

Having said that, they've only scored 30 and leaked nearly twice that.

Hopefully 0-1 Whites. (Would be happy with 5-0 too!)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:07 pm
I don't really have a list of easy and hard games left. Logic should dictate it'd be easier to beat Grimsby than Morcambe but as others have mentioned, they're going to be scrapping. It's probably more "must win" for them than us. I'm hoping we have enough guile and legs left after what was a hard fought 3 points yesterday. I'm also hoping they don't park the bus, as they're more in need of three points than one.

Yeah we don’t need to win though obviously be handy if we did. If they come at us and we play smart then we should be able to pick them off. More likely they sit in and try and wait for us to make a mistake.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:21 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Yeah we don’t need to win though obviously be handy if we did. If they come at us and we play smart then we should be able to pick them off. More likely they sit in and try and wait for us to make a mistake.
When Evatt talks about how proud the team is (and he is) and that they've achieved nothing yet, I'm sure we'll be trying our best! I want us to win all our games then we're reliant on no one to go up and if they were all nervy 1-0's so be it. I think BEN said 15 of our 20 wins have been 1-0...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:41 pm

Grimsby are down and they know it. Realistically, they can only overhaul Colchester who are 7 points ahead and who are at home for 4 of their remaining 5 fixtures. Grimsby have 6 games to play, but 4 are against teams in the top 8. Domed.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:21 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

When Evatt talks about how proud the team is (and he is) and that they've achieved nothing yet, I'm sure we'll be trying our best! I want us to win all our games then we're reliant on no one to go up and if they were all nervy 1-0's so be it. I think BEN said 15 of our 20 wins have been 1-0...
Agreed. Go to win. It’s the only way to be relentless. But be smart about it. We don’t need to over commit. No reason we can’t go and do the business there.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 pm

Score first and sap their confidence. Go behind and we could well lose. More twists and turns left yet in this promotion race, it’s on us to make sure we are second or even first and not worrying. We are the form team and have the squad. Chelate ham have the best run in I think, but we could overhaul Cambridge.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:36 pm
I think BEN said 15 of our 20 wins have been 1-0...
Not quite - 15 victories by single-goal margins, rather than 1-0s, although we've had nine of them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 pm
Score first and sap their confidence. Go behind and we could well lose. More twists and turns left yet in this promotion race, it’s on us to make sure we are second or even first and not worrying. We are the form team and have the squad. Chelate ham have the best run in I think, but we could overhaul Cambridge.
First goal in Saturdays game does seem key. I’d say we arguably look a better team with our backs up against the wall than we do when we are comfortable in the cane. So Saturday could go either way in that regard. If we can win a couple and perhaps with pressure lifted I’d love to see us put 3 or 4 past someone. Just to see it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 pm

Win the next two and give Morecambe a good dicking just for DSB

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:29 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 pm
I would like this. I would like this a lot.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:29 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 pm
I would like this. I would like this a lot.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:17 am

:D
I love Eric Morecambe. Genuinely one of the best compliments I’ve ever been paid was when a workmate said I reminded him of the great man. (Maybe I’ve lived a life short on compliments.)

I’ll also applaud Morecambe FC for the season they’ve had, but I would hate to have to watch them. I know it’s not for everybody but IMO one of the greatest things about our renaissance this season has been our determination to play football properly.

Last summer I bought myself a little badge saying “Playing football the Bolton way.” It was almost ironic for a bit. But ho ho ho, who’s got the last laugh now?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:47 am

Strikes me as Morecambe are doing what we did to the premier league - found a way of playing that gets results on a very low income stream. Fair play to ‘em. They were a set of horrible feck* but this is their most consistent season in the football league I think. Had their share of financial difficulties including some pretend Brazilian millionaire in the last few years.

Anyway I would back us to go there and dig in for a result. In a way I’m more worried about Saturday...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:56 am

Should Morcambe overhaul us in the run-in, I suspect they would just he delighted with how they've performed.

We on the other hand would be somewhat looking nervously at some teams we haven't had shedloads of success against this year. 2 losses to Tranmere and Newport and one to FGR as it currently stands...

That would put a rather different complexion on things for me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:57 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:17 am
:D
I love Eric Morecambe. Genuinely one of the best compliments I’ve ever been paid was when a workmate said I reminded him of the great man. (Maybe I’ve lived a life short on compliments.)

I’ll also applaud Morecambe FC for the season they’ve had, but I would hate to have to watch them. I know it’s not for everybody but IMO one of the greatest things about our renaissance this season has been our determination to play football properly.

Last summer I bought myself a little badge saying “Playing football the Bolton way.” It was almost ironic for a bit. But ho ho ho, who’s got the last laugh now?
We spent years scoffing at premiership teams who said the same of us. Really don’t like it. You maximise your resources and teams that do that are to be admired for me. There is no right way to play football. And frankly at this level I suspect in reality the differences are very slight. We might pass it a million times more but in terms of creating or scoring and generating excitement I suspect not a lot in it. As you go up the ladder the difference in entertainment between say Man City and a Pulis Stoke City perhaps becomes more extreme. But still the relative budgets play the largest part.