Time to batter the fish wives? Grimsby (A) - Sat 17th Apr 12:30 KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Time to batter the fish wives? Grimsby (A) - Sat 17th Apr 12:30 KO

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:02 pm

I have an issue with the desire & passion of these players despite having the so called 'best team' in the league, busting a gut & running that extra yard.

We have wasted the fortunate position we are in with fcuking awful, piss poor performances against Colchester, Newport & Grimsby. We all want to go up & we have had easy games to put some distance between the other teams but this is the 3rd game in 5 when the team just haven't been up to it.

I'm still really struggling with how the 'so called' league's in form team fighting to get automatic promotion with the 'best team' in the league can get twatted so easily off the worst team in the football league - so for me that raises issues around attitude, desire, passion & fight all so lacking for those players playing for BWFC today showed.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:14 pm

We weren't the "so called" best team. We were "factually" the best. For a period. The best team is that one with the most points...

How difficult can they equation get?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:40 pm

Before today Grimsby had won 1 in 21, just let that sink in.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:01 pm

But lost once in 8. When I saw that head but sending off thing last week I wondered if this migh be the game we struggled with, suspect our lot were too cocky.
It’s in our hands. It’s up to us. We’d all of taken this 4 months ago. Let’s wait and see.

PS
That last game is going to be a sweaty affair.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:06 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:40 pm
Go to the pub, pal. You need to wind down.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:10 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:06 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:40 pm
Go to the pub, pal. You need to wind down.
Been in all afternoon squire, getting a bit chilly now though.

Wind down ? explain.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:14 pm

He means chill out and forget about it. Part of me still thinks we’ll enjoy next season more if it’s a promotion tint at L2 under Evatt as opposed to watching it on iFollow this. On one hand I’ve watched more games than I would of done, on another it’s a bit shit not being there now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:15 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:01 pm
But lost once in 8. When I saw that head but sending off thing last week I wondered if this migh be the game we struggled with, suspect our lot were too cocky.
It’s in our hands. It’s up to us. We’d all of taken this 4 months ago. Let’s wait and see.

PS
That last game is going to be a sweaty affair.
The ‘we’d have taken this 4 months ago’ thing doesn’t really matter. We’ve put ourselves in pole position a couple of times - the Colchester and Newport games and then today. Win those and we’d be sitting pretty. But we’ve not managed to put the clear daylight between us and the pack behind. When we beat Notts Forest to stay up we’d all have taken a chance of staying up on the last day after our dreadful start (just looked back and end of September even the enormously positive DSB said we were down already). But having a chance would have been scant consolation were it not for Wilbrahams heroics.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:17 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:14 pm
He means chill out and forget about it. Part of me still thinks we’ll enjoy next season more if it’s a promotion tint at L2 under Evatt as opposed to watching it on iFollow this. On one hand I’ve watched more games than I would of done, on another it’s a bit shit not being there now.
What if Evatt is one of those nearly managers who takes teams close but can’t get them over the line? He didn’t have to do the run in with Barrow. And those managers exist we’ve seen them.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:33 pm

He might be, there’s now I can do about it sat with my Saturday night beer. All I know is I was papping myself about supporting a non league club when the Jan window opened. It’s a weird season where pressures not being put on players by fans but voices in their own heads. I had Tranmere as up a few weeks ago but we’ve closed them down. It feels like everyone is trying to chuck it away.

See what happens Tuesday.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:34 pm

^^ aye. I can't agree with that. Let's just get out of this God awful division any way we can but now please!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:34 pm
^^ aye. I can't agree with that. Let's just get out of this God awful division any way we can but now please!
Yeah this. If we bottle this I fear for us next season. And suspect Evatt wouldn’t see out the season. Get up and progress. It’s only option.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:07 pm

Teams who get promoted have something about them, either talent or work rate, passion, fight, spirit, attitude. This current Bolton side has enough talent to get out of League 2 but it doesn't have the togetherness, bottle or fight (although Evatt will say otherwise), there is no McGinley, Taggart, Fairclough or even a Le Fondre, Wheater, Karl Henry etc.

Any team that wants to mix it & fight will have a chance of beating us because our current team isn't tough enough, it doesn't have any strong characters, rum feck* who can do a bit. Opposition managers just need tell their players to get in our faces & bully us, kick us etc. we need stronger more aggressive players who will stand up & be counted and give it back but this current team doesn't have it in them to fight & scrap when required.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:16 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:07 pm
Teams who get promoted have something about them, either talent or work rate, passion, fight, spirit, attitude. This current Bolton side has enough talent to get out of League 2 but it doesn't have the togetherness, bottle or fight (although Evatt will say otherwise), there is no McGinley, Taggart, Fairclough or even a Le Fondre, Wheater, Karl Henry etc.

Any team that wants to mix it & fight will have a chance of beating us because our current team isn't tough enough, it doesn't have any strong characters, rum feck* who can do a bit. Opposition managers just need tell their players to get in our faces & bully us, kick us etc. we need stronger more aggressive players who will stand up & be counted and give it back but this current team doesn't have it in them to fight & scrap when required.
What you are saying is we don’t have physical types and that’s pretty obvious. I’m not sure it is about fight perhaps some is attitude. If you are told by Evatt how good you are and fed the whole pop-psych drivel he seems to revel in perhaps on a poor pitch at bottom of the league Grimsby you think you can just turn up and win. I don’t know. Might not be that. But there is something beyond our deficiencies on the field that isn’t right about this side. Perhaps too many quiet types, we all know the difference Gilks made with his barking instructions but maybe we are one or two short they all seem quite quiet lads. And that translates to our centre backs who are not exactly dominant against physical strikers and turn to jelly on our set pieces in the other box. I’d guess the blend is just not right. Not quite enough physicality and power and too many who can only really do one thing and when that doesn’t work we struggle.

All we can do is hope we somehow get across the line. If we don’t then next season looks tough. And I’d fear for Evatt because if you can’t get promoted with this team, when can you?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 pm

Jesus. If we don’t get promoted I’d back Evatt (or anyone) to use our muscle as BWFC to sign the attacking players (plus left back) we would need to get promoted.

Shit game but how often at this level do teams scrapping for their life cause an upset.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:50 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 pm
Jesus. If we don’t get promoted I’d back Evatt (or anyone) to use our muscle as BWFC to sign the attacking players (plus left back) we would need to get promoted.

Shit game but how often at this level do teams scrapping for their life cause an upset.
Like you say It was a coupon buster.

I've no doubt there will be livid Grimsby fans because if they'd played like that all season there is no way they'd be in the bottom 2.

They came at us like a spider monkey and got what they deserved.

Having cooled down I sadistically think that's what we needed as it "should" wake the beast. The reaction has to be positive surely?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:17 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
What if Evatt is one of those nearly managers who takes teams close but can’t get them over the line? He didn’t have to do the run in with Barrow. And those managers exist we’ve seen them.
Then I"m sure he'll get told to fcuk right off by a load 9f bellends. If my aunt had balls.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Then I"m sure he'll get told to fcuk right off by a load 9f bellends. If my aunt had balls.
In the meantime we’d be stuck in league two and I’m not getting any younger. Fed up of excuses. This lot are good enough to go up. Take the pressure and do it. Because if not the pressure will only be doubled next season.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
In the meantime we’d be stuck in league two and I’m not getting any younger. Fed up of excuses. This lot are good enough to go up. Take the pressure and do it. Because if not the pressure will only be doubled next season.
That's the players not the manager then surely?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:09 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
That's the players not the manager then surely?
Well both. Our inability to score from any set pieces has cost us through the season and still we haven’t fixed it. That’s on Evatt. Doyle needing three chances to score is on him - not sure the manager can do much about missing chances.