Time to batter the fish wives? Grimsby (A) - Sat 17th Apr 12:30 KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Time to batter the fish wives? Grimsby (A) - Sat 17th Apr 12:30 KO

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:38 pm

We lost a game after winning a lot; one battle not the war. Not world's end and still all to play for. Evatt needs to get the belief back in the lads, oh, and get some shooting practise in before Tuesday. This result will give those around us fresh heart.

We can still do this COME ON YOU WHITES , get up off the grass and fight back.... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:39 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:32 pm
Morecambe will dick this lot. Not a soft touch like us...and yet at Salford...
Correct Morecambe will beat Grimsby as they can score goals.

I have to ask why were our players not up for the fight today like the Grimsby players, it was a seriously weak & appalling performance apart from young Thomason, the only player who gave 100%.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:40 pm

We definitely can't afford another Colchester performance against Carlisle, and I fear well struggle to score once again. We really threaten very little up front from open.play and not at all from set pieces. We'll have the odd off day, lose the occasional away but we have to win both home games I think now and try to avoid defeat at Morecambe.
Worth remembering we're not the only ones slipping up though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Started too slow. Could've won by 5 or 6. Could've lost by 7 or 8. Would've Arthur Millered it with 30 to go. Think we all knew this was going down to the wire...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:49 pm

I'd say we might have been sussed out today. Push us wide, wait till we feck it up, launch it up top and take your chances against Santos and Baptiste.

It could have been really embarrassing today had it not been for Gilks. They had 13 shots on target and 27 in total. That isn't acceptable no matter who you are playing.

Grimsby played the high press all game and didn't give the team the freedom it needs to build attacks. Looks like John has his mind on summer and isn't getting stuck in, think we might see Brockbank start next game. Dapo, I don't know what his deal is anymore. Started so well. Throw in Delf or Arthur. I thought Kerian Lee had a decent game along side Thomasson.

Take the captaincy off Doyle and give it someone else. Give him one job. Score the goals.

Going to take a while to come down from this.

I don't think I'll wake up looking forward to games again. They always end in disaster.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:40 pm
Started too slow. Could've won by 5 or 6. Could've lost by 7 or 8. Would've Arthur Millered it with 30 to go. Think we all knew this was going down to the wire...
Seriously its not good enough though Worthy, Evatt has been spouting all week about how together, committed & up for it these players are - I didn't see any of that today in such an important game, and I'm not having it that the Salford game took so much out of them - I thought that supposedly we are the fittest team in the league ?. We simply can't compete when teams pressure us & get amongst us because we have no leaders & fighters in this team.

They had 21 shots with 10 on target, almost double us - shocking pathetic, performance that today and they deserve everything they get having had the adulation over the past few weeks.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:11 pm

We are suspect at both ends of the pitch. That’s the bottom line. Doyle misses lots of chances but does at least score whereas others miss yet hardly ever score.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:16 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Seriously its not good enough though Worthy, Evatt has been spouting all week about how together, committed & up for it these players are - I didn't see any of that today in such an important game, and I'm not having it that the Salford game took so much out of them - I thought that supposedly we are the fittest team in the league ?. We simply can't compete when teams pressure us & get amongst us because we have no leaders & fighters in this team.

They had 21 shots with 10 on target, almost double us - shocking pathetic, performance that today and they deserve everything they get having had the adulation over the past few weeks.
The test (for me, Bertie) as to what's good enough and not is whether we go up or not. I don't think this squad is "too good" for the Division and it'll be a struggle to the last game and possibly the play-offs.

Today's performance wasn't good. We were beaten by the best team of the two, today. I didn't see "lack of commitment".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:16 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

The test (for me, Bertie) as to what's good enough and not is whether we go up or not. I don't think this squad is "too good" for the Division and it'll be a struggle to the last game and possibly the play-offs.

Today's performance wasn't good. We were beaten by the best team of the two, today. I didn't see "lack of commitment".
The team we have now would have gone up over a full season. My worry is we are mentally fragile and it just has a feeling of ‘we will be glorious failures’ about it. Can’t shake that feeling. Today was a chance to take a huge step and we didn’t turn up. Not sure id call it a lack of commitment but whereas on Tuesday every player did the basics right and their jobs today it was quite the opposite.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:33 pm

For me that’s the late charge for the title over. We will be the team in third or the one who goes into the play offs on a downer. Everyone else much of a muchness around us. We can still do this but that front line needs to get goals. Dapo should be dropped IMO, he’s no use.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:50 pm

I agree that we are absolutely not 'too good' for this league, in fact I'd say perhaps on paper they are but that's it. I'll be honest I'm really annoyed, frustrated and really pissed off this afternoon, as usual they get your hopes up (i.e. automatic promotion) and then put in a shite performance like that. For me as I've said for months although they battled 2nd half at Salford with Delf throwing himself in the way of shots late on, generally they are quite soft as a group of players and today showed that for me.

I don't care how well Grimsby played & fought today and that they deserved the win, they are bottom of the league for a reason i.e. they are the worst team in the division, but they outplayed & outfought us and wanted it more than our players.

I know that they have been on a good run, but I'm actually amazed that we are still in with a shout of promotion, because we are not as good a team as they & Evatt think they are (the Cambridge game aside), we miss so many clear cut chances & are so shit at set pieces (amateur in fact), I actually wonder what we do in training. A real bummer that today with players shrinking & hiding, so many very poor performances which doesn't for me bode well for the next 4 games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:54 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:50 pm
I agree that we are absolutely not 'too good' for this league, in fact I'd say perhaps on paper they are but that's it. I'll be honest I'm really annoyed, frustrated and really pissed off this afternoon, as usual they get your hopes up (i.e. automatic promotion) and then put in a shite performance like that. For me as I've said for months although they battled 2nd half at Salford with Delf throwing himself in the way of shots late on, generally they are quite soft as a group of players and today showed that for me.

I don't care how well Grimsby played & fought today and that they deserved the win, they are bottom of the league for a reason i.e. they are the worst team in the division, but they outplayed & outfought us and wanted it more than our players.

I know that they have been on a good run, but I'm actually amazed that we are still in with a shout of promotion, because we are not as good a team as they & Evatt think they are (the Cambridge game aside), we miss so many clear cut chances & are so shit at set pieces (amateur in fact), I actually wonder what we do in training. A real bummer that today with players shrinking & hiding, so many very poor performances which doesn't for me bode well for the next 4 games.
Agree with lots of this. Our set pieces are unacceptably bad. We do seem to struggle in games against on paper weaker sides and teams with a physical approach.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Completely outplayed. No excuses. From minute 1 our defense looked like their minds were somewhere else. Gilks saved us from a battering. John's last game was bad. This one dreadful. He looks like he wants to join Maddison back home. Santos and Baptiste looked weak and nervous. Jones tried. The early yellow card for Williams turned him into a baby. Grimsby, when they attacked, seemed to attack us with 10 men. They gave everything and missed many chances. Thought the game was set up for Zack's pace to counter, but he came on too late.

Only Thomasson played with any credit. We played as if our focus was on being L1 Champions rather than on Grimsby!!

We deserved nothing from this performance and got nothing. Hope we get back our focus for the next game. Doyle, Dapo and John will be lucky if they start it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:22 pm

Just did a quick tally. In the last twenty games we’ve scored more than 2 goals just once. Morecambe have scored more than 2, 5 times in same period including 4 twice in past week. I do think lack of goals is seriously a problem. And Doyle is our top scorer but you can’t bank on him in the same way you could a McGinlay for example as he often seems to fluff his lines. And after that we seem to have completely dried up.

You sometimes need to score 3 or 4 to win a game or just to know you can to give yourselves a breather. You can analyse everything about performances but I’d say Evatt is right in that the chances missed both direct shots and great positions where we fluff our final ball are mounting up and really costing us now. Today we played poorly. We deserved nothing. But take our chances and easily could have been an undeserved win. Same at Newport though we deserved to win that. Points dropped at Bradford when game should have been dead and buried. And because of it even when we win it’s edgy, nervy and we are never affording ourselves margin for error or respite.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:24 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:

A case of every dog having its day maybe? If we played them tomorrow, would they still beat us or would we have learned a lesson? Different strokes for different folks, and maybe we assumed our game was all things to all men, and that rarely happens in life. It's what happens next that is all important. The words, "what if, error, nearly, almost" etc etc, are happening to us at times; today was one. Two offside goals and several blatant misses from us don't make Grimsby a Barcelona. Win the next and the fire will re-light, I'm sure.

All that said, Gilks must surely be Man of the Match for us.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:26 pm

Yes how can a team be so impotent in front of goal and still expect to get promoted, one goal a game that's it. Play off's for this shower and they'll likely bottle that.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:40 pm

Strange. I thought that, despite today's setback, we were still one of the form sides in the league, still third in the table, and contrary to being bottlers actually had a damn good record over the year for coming from behind.

Must be thinking of a different side.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:48 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:40 pm
Strange. I thought that, despite today's setback, we were still one of the form sides in the league, still third in the table, and contrary to being bottlers actually had a damn good record over the year for coming from behind.

You must be thinking of the side that drew 0-0 at home to Colchester (3rd or 4th bottom), lost away at Newport and then lost 2-1 away at bottom of the league Grimsby.

Form team last 5 - W2, L2, D1

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:51 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:40 pm

People want us to go up. Today we had an excellent chance to put ourselves in a very good position, similar to the Easter games and like then we didn’t.

I think it’s inevitable there will be a fair bit of disappointment. Doesn’t matter how many games you went unbeaten if you have nowt to show for it at the end, now is when teams show their mettle and we can only hope we are able to get over the line. All that matters is being across the line at the end. If not I think this will rightly be filed in the long list of hugely disappointing seasons.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:01 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:

Me too mate. But at this juncture, we ain't going to change...we have what we have.