A Borderline affair.Bolton v Carlisle, Home 20-04-21. 1900..

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

A Borderline affair.Bolton v Carlisle, Home 20-04-21. 1900..

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:10 pm

The Cumbrians, citizens of Carlisle (nicknamed the Border Town, it being only 10 miles short of Scotland) are our next quest on the road to glory. Let's hope we don't make a right "haggis" of this one. Air your views at will....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: A Borderline affair.Bolton v Carlisle, Home 20-04-21.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:14 pm

We can't score, they're giving nowt away.

0-0 draw
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:14 pm

They're all pretty much must win, until it's all done. Still in our hands at the minute, but 5 huge games coming up, in terms of what their outcome will do or not do for us. Carlisle are only 2 points off 7th, so all to play for there. Just hoping for a win for the Whites 1-0.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:14 pm
They're all pretty much must win, until it's all done. Still in our hands at the minute, but 5 huge games coming up, in terms of what their outcome will do or not do for us. Carlisle are only 2 points off 7th, so all to play for there. Just hoping for a win for the Whites 1-0.
4 left isn't it? Or do you mean 5 other games relevant to us?

Either way we've 4 left and on paper they all appear tough. Potentially all 4 might have something to play for and might all need a win against us. That doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing but I do feel we need to play better than we have done for the most part in the last 4 or 5 weeks. We've got to find a higher gear to navigate these games. One can safely assume we will have to nick one or two with a Salford like effort but also likely one of these will find a couple of goals at least and we'll need to do similar and better.

My gut is we need to score 8/9 goals in the remaining games to have a chance so serious need to step up our firepower. Evatt said so at weekend and think its fairly obvious for all to see. If we start taking our chances we can play pretty averagely and still win all 4. But its what it will take for me. We won't be able to edge out these 4 games 1-0 IMO.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:38 pm

Yup 4 left. My bad.

I think I'm right in saying Miller is our 2nd highest scorer, this side of Christmas as a bloke that comes in for 10 minutes maybe 15 here and there...felt to me on Saturday, he wasn't on early enough, because we didn't have anything much to bring on, to stem the tide the other end.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:38 pm
Yup 4 left. My bad.

I think I'm right in saying Miller is our 2nd highest scorer, this side of Christmas as a bloke that comes in for 10 minutes maybe 15 here and there...felt to me on Saturday, he wasn't on early enough, because we didn't have anything much to bring on, to stem the tide the other end.
Feels that way to me too. I'm not sure how you fit him in - other than leaving Doyle out - which is a big call. Could play him in the attacking midfield role I guess but not sure really he's brilliant there. Personally think I'd try something different because I think we've had enough games to see without Sarce we struggle. And Carlisle is the game to try it rather than Morecambe. I also think a midfield player could do with a rest. But we'll see.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: A Borderline affair.Bolton v Carlisle, Home 20-04-21. 1900..

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:12 pm

"Having said that, the way we create chances from open play is excellent and when you’re playing on a surface like this, it’s easier being Grimsby than Bolton Wanderers with the way they play, it simplifies their game and we have to be extremely precise, take extreme care because of the pitch, take more touches than we normally would have to, which slows us down."

Well race into a 3 goal lead in our beautiful pitch if this is right.
That was following a stat about how many goals Carlisle score from set pieces.
We've become worryingly inconsistent, so I really can't even.begin to predict. Let's just say my optimism has ebbed somewhat.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:24 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:12 pm
"Having said that, the way we create chances from open play is excellent and when you’re playing on a surface like this, it’s easier being Grimsby than Bolton Wanderers with the way they play, it simplifies their game and we have to be extremely precise, take extreme care because of the pitch, take more touches than we normally would have to, which slows us down."

Well race into a 3 goal lead in our beautiful pitch if this is right.
That was following a stat about how many goals Carlisle score from set pieces.
We've become worryingly inconsistent, so I really can't even.begin to predict. Let's just say my optimism has ebbed somewhat.
I've said that for years - the more you pass it the better you've got to be than your opponents as every pass introduces potential for error. Grimsby were maybe 3 or 4 incidents away from a shot on goal at all times. We more like 9 or 10. If we were more dangerous from set pieces though we could afford to pen sides in and play for possession to win free kicks and corners (if we can't open them up otherwise) and our threat would make sides overcommit more. Its a bit chicken and egg - sides know our weaknesses now and we know theirs. But if they are able to hammer the ball up front and play for a knock down there is a limited amount we can do about that. So we need to score more goals. No real other answer to this.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Opposition defenders will be less concerned about conceding corners and free kicks around the edge of our box, if they know we possess practically zero threat of scoring from them.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:41 pm
Opposition defenders will be less concerned about conceding corners and free kicks around the edge of our box, if they know we possess practically zero threat of scoring from them.
Yes exactly. If we are a possession team and can score from corners or set pieces (either direct shots or possess an aerial threat) it makes us keeping the ball around the opponents box much more meaningful than if we're just going sideways and they're happy with it. You wear teams down if they know any free kick or corner conceded is a threat.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:11 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:14 pm
We can't score, they're giving nowt away.

0-0 draw
And Ten Pounds saved then. Cheers. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:26 pm

No Sarcevic tomorrow but maybe on Saturday.

Also Evatt has told the players their performance on Saturday was not acceptable. I think he's right. Needed saying.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... morecambe/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:00 pm

Weirdly I am pretty relaxed about this. Maybe that will change before kick off but I think the result/performance sat will give us a kick up the arse. Everyone’s beating everyone else. It’s a weird season. The real shame is we can’t get 10,000 fans in like they did at Wembley yesterday. Feels like the next couple of games will be ones to talk about and it’s immensely frustrating to be sat behind a computer screen ☹️

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:14 pm

Bolton 0 Carlisle 3

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:23 pm

I don't think there were (m)any saying the performance was good on Saturday. So I'm fine with him calling it out.

When I look at some of the things we were short of (from the match thread), "leaders" for example, I'm not seeing much of that outside of Sarce and maybe Gilks (who was outstanding on Saturday) anywhere in the squad. Hoping for a Taggart or Pollock or Sheridan (or whoever) when we don't have them is just wishful thinking.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:23 pm
I don't think there were (m)any saying the performance was good on Saturday. So I'm fine with him calling it out.

When I look at some of the things we were short of (from the match thread), "leaders" for example, I'm not seeing much of that outside of Sarce and maybe Gilks (who was outstanding on Saturday) anywhere in the squad. Hoping for a Taggart or Pollock or Sheridan (or whoever) when we don't have them is just wishful thinking.
Agreed. But we need all of them to seriously raise their game. I don’t think we’ve ever really hit top gear and now is the time to do it.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:23 pm

Agreed. But we need all of them to seriously raise their game. I don’t think we’ve ever really hit top gear and now is the time to do it.
Apart from maybe the Cambridge home game they have played within themselves every week IMO, Evatt has said for months now that there is another gear to come, but we still haven't seen them go at it 100% for the full 90 minutes or so in this extra gear - they constantly play within themselves, they now have 4 games to make a name for themselves so its now or never for this mythical extra gear.

Personally I don't think that they have this extra gear, and to be honest I'm still a bit down after that poor performance on Saturday and I still think that there is something lacking mentality & desire wise in this group of players.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 pm

You are aware they're not a bike?

There's another team playing. They're playing in a system that is designed so that teams of similar ability play each other. Sometimes you lose. It happens.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 pm
You are aware they're not a bike?

There's another team playing. They're playing in a system that is designed so that teams of similar ability play each other. Sometimes you lose. It happens.
Evatt said the performance was unacceptable, I don’t think you can claim anything but. Of course sometimes you lose games. Nobody can expect us to win every game - though some clearly have in the past yet now with a relatively far better team seem far more happy when we lose to ermmm Grimsby.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:44 pm

No-one is happy with it. It was a bad performance. It happens. I'm glad the manager isn't just saying it's fine, but it's always going to happen over a course of games. Certainly since January we should be looking to win every game individually, but you can't expect that will actually happen. They've got plenty credit in the bank.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.