The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38968
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Shoot me down if you will, but what short memories some folks have. I'm having difficulty equating terms like "Divine Right" with anything not related to Monarchs and God. I can't anywhere find Bolton Wanderers even mentioned. Mind you, if we win next week that could change and the focus shift to greater things like winning the U.E.F.A Cup for example, or signing Lionel Messi or Ronaldo. Nothing like ambition, is there? But if we lose....pitch-forks and bedsheets at the ready... ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 01, 2021 7:55 pm

Mr or Mrs truewhite its not hyperbole at all its an honesty about how poor we were today and have been generally since Cambridge at home - I have to say I'm struggling with your restaurant chain scenario comparison, where have I ever said that BWFC deserve to go out of business ?, I love BWFC & I passionately support my town team so wind your holier than though neck in.

Results of others have seriously helped us to be 3rd, we've been quite poor for the past 4 or 5 weeks if people are honest and don't bury there heads in the sand. I have no issue with fans who will accept absolute mediocrity & feel like they have to support regardless, but unfortunately I'm not one of those and I'll call it as I see and it doesn't make me any less of a BWFC supporter than you (even though you probably think that).

This is League 2, bottom of the barrel etc. but that was poor today and fans were expectant - so we are allowed to be gutted, but go ahead crack on about me being too critical....another season in League 2 is so appealing.

Mar
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Mar » Sat May 01, 2021 7:55 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Tommy, I've not said that Evatt should go but I do think these players are mentally weak & have bottled it.

We have players who are apparently so much better on paper than our opponents and have played at a higher level i.e. John, Williams, Santos, Lee, Sarce, Doyle etc. but they didn't show that today or at Grimsby.

I don't mind people defending the players but you also have to admit that at home to Exeter 1-0 up in a game that would have secured promotion those players should have been strong enough & experienced enough to have gone on and won, but they shrank & hid, and bottled it and had no answer to Exeter - we couldn't even match there work rate - yes Exeter not the mighty league one teams such as Accrington, Rochdale or Blackpool.

I don't just get why some accept absolute shite like today, yet attack others who have a go because we should have been so much better, however well these players have done since February this is League 2 and many of our players have played regularly at a higher level and should have had enough to win the game today, but 2nd half they went missing, didn't fancy it etc. so for me they are not players who we want moving forward as they are mentality soft & weak. We haven't got out of 2nd gear all season so surely questions can be asked as to why they can't take it up a notch ?
I don't think people are accepting of absolute shite like today. I think it's a case of putting it into context and not over-reacting to the point where the manager and the players get put out to pasture. To go on such a good run and not falter would be incredible indeed, but we have faltered and not managed it for Newport, Colchester, Grimsby and now Exeter, all of which had games which were massive for their season, Newport and Exeter aiming for promotion and Colchester and Grimsby fighting for their survival.

We've been comfortably the best team in the league since the turn of the year and i'd rather not throw that away on a few bad results.

Bertie Wooster
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 01, 2021 8:01 pm

Mar, please read your last post again - so we faltered against teams playing to get into the play offs & also relegation teams fighting for
survival yet we are comfortably the best team in the league ?

So who are we expected to beat ?

Mar
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Mar » Sat May 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:01 pm
Mar, please read your last post again - so we faltered against teams playing to get into the play offs & also relegation teams fighting for
survival yet we are comfortably the best team in the league ?

So who are we expected to beat ?
The majority of teams.... which we have done. I fail to see the problem here. We're not perfect and don't claim to be.

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by nicholaldo » Sat May 01, 2021 8:38 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:01 pm
Mar, please read your last post again - so we faltered against teams playing to get into the play offs & also relegation teams fighting for
survival yet we are comfortably the best team in the league ?

So who are we expected to beat ?

Our points return since the turn of the year has been better than any club in this league. That is a matter of fact.

Of late, we've struggled to score when we've needed to, but next Saturday we play a team with nothing to play for. Ultimately, if we can't beat them we can have no complaints if we don't go up automatically.

Post-mortems and recriminations can't wait until the season's done. For now, let's get behind the team for the final throw of the dice. I'd still rather be in our position than Morecambe's.

Bertie Wooster
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm

One goal we only score one goal, we only score one goal....

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by nicholaldo » Sat May 01, 2021 8:42 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm
One goal we only score one goal, we only score one goal....

And yet sixteen times this season it's been enough. Very little is going to change between now and next weekend, so let's just get behind what we've got.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27902
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 01, 2021 8:43 pm

Now those absolute pricks who went to the stadium today to let off flares and have a party before we’d done the job then reportedly started fighting at the end and damaging property...they can get fecked.

We could all see the problem with fans turning up today before the job was done and so it transpired. The ultimate motivation for Exeter and Morecambe. Very very frustrating. Right thing to do was stay away and get down there in the event we won.

As it is I don’t think they did anyone any favours.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27902
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 01, 2021 8:46 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:42 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm
One goal we only score one goal, we only score one goal....

And yet sixteen times this season it's been enough. Very little is going to change between now and next weekend, so let's just get behind what we've got.
I think we need to adapt our game a bit for next week. The way we played today was madness at times. Crawley have nothing on it so can relax and presumably invite us on then try and hit on the break. I think we need to be more direct in and around the box. Stop trying to pass teams to do and get shots on target. We had 2 today. That’s simply way off where we need to be. And numerous times we had chance to get a shot away and didn't. We cannot realistically change a lot. But there is absolutely no reason to persist in trying to walk it in as it isn’t working.

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by nicholaldo » Sat May 01, 2021 8:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:43 pm
Now those absolute pricks who went to the stadium today to let off flares and have a party before we’d done the job then reportedly started fighting at the end and damaging property...they can get fecked.

We could all see the problem with fans turning up today before the job was done and so it transpired. The ultimate motivation for Exeter and Morecambe. Very very frustrating. Right thing to do was stay away and get down there in the event we won.

As it is I don’t think they did anyone any favours.

Indeed, we have some absolute morons following us. I almost posted before kick-off that I was concerned too many people might've been getting carried away and that I hoped it wouldn't seep into the dressing room. As it happens I don't think it did, but it disn't think it was helpful.

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1166
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by nicholaldo » Sat May 01, 2021 8:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:46 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:42 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm
One goal we only score one goal, we only score one goal....

And yet sixteen times this season it's been enough. Very little is going to change between now and next weekend, so let's just get behind what we've got.
I think we need to adapt our game a bit for next week. The way we played today was madness at times. Crawley have nothing on it so can relax and presumably invite us on then try and hit on the break. I think we need to be more direct in and around the box. Stop trying to pass teams to do and get shots on target. We had 2 today. That’s simply way off where we need to be. And numerous times we had chance to get a shot away and didn't. We cannot realistically change a lot. But there is absolutely no reason to persist in trying to walk it in as it isn’t working.

I agree with you, but then again I think we've needed to be more direct all season and it's hasn't really happened. Maybe the pressure of the situation might force that change.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 01, 2021 8:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:46 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:42 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm
One goal we only score one goal, we only score one goal....

And yet sixteen times this season it's been enough. Very little is going to change between now and next weekend, so let's just get behind what we've got.
I think we need to adapt our game a bit for next week. The way we played today was madness at times. Crawley have nothing on it so can relax and presumably invite us on then try and hit on the break. I think we need to be more direct in and around the box. Stop trying to pass teams to do and get shots on target. We had 2 today. That’s simply way off where we need to be. And numerous times we had chance to get a shot away and didn't. We cannot realistically change a lot. But there is absolutely no reason to persist in trying to walk it in as it isn’t working.
G'wan then. I'll call.bollocks. This shit that clearly isn't working still has us with more wins, points, goal difference - fewer goals conceded since 01/01 21...might not be enough in the final analysis..

Bertie Wooster
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 pm

Worthy, in response that's also bollocks.

What the fcuk is up with those blindly supporting these performances, we've just lost 3 in 7 at the tail end of the season - we have last seasons player of the year, last seasons top goal scorer, a midfielder & left back who are so called championship standard yet we can't beat Exeter at home in our cup final.

I know that we've been shit for years but that doesn't mean that we accept any shite. How come they outfought & out worked us
2nd half today, I thought that we were the so called fittest team in the league (they also played Tues & had travelled the length of the country), they wanted it more and it showed to me. This team doesn't work hard enough for me & at times lack motivation and get bullied easily.

We should not be getting out fought & out worked by Exeter at home in a game where a win took us up - our players lack desire IMO, that 2nd half today should not be accepted by any BWFC fan.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 01, 2021 9:44 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 pm
Worthy, in response that's also bollocks.

What the fcuk is up with those blindly supporting these performances, we've just lost 3 in 7 at the tail end of the season - we have last seasons player of the year, last seasons top goal scorer, a midfielder & left back who are so called championship standard yet we can't beat Exeter at home in our cup final.

I know that we've been shit for years but that doesn't mean that we accept any shite. How come they outfought & out worked us
2nd half today, I thought that we were the so called fittest team in the league (they also played Tues & had travelled the length of the country), they wanted it more and it showed to me. This team doesn't work hard enough for me & at times lack motivation and get bullied easily.

We should not be getting out fought & out worked by Exeter at home in a game where a win took us up - our players lack desire IMO, that 2nd half today should not be accepted by any BWFC fan.
I'm still at bollocks. :-)

We have an above average team, since January. Prior to that we were playing Gordon, Mascoll etc in the First Team.

Did you forget that 4 months?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27902
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 01, 2021 9:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:46 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:42 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm
One goal we only score one goal, we only score one goal....

And yet sixteen times this season it's been enough. Very little is going to change between now and next weekend, so let's just get behind what we've got.
I think we need to adapt our game a bit for next week. The way we played today was madness at times. Crawley have nothing on it so can relax and presumably invite us on then try and hit on the break. I think we need to be more direct in and around the box. Stop trying to pass teams to do and get shots on target. We had 2 today. That’s simply way off where we need to be. And numerous times we had chance to get a shot away and didn't. We cannot realistically change a lot. But there is absolutely no reason to persist in trying to walk it in as it isn’t working.
G'wan then. I'll call.bollocks. This shit that clearly isn't working still has us with more wins, points, goal difference - fewer goals conceded since 01/01 21...might not be enough in the final analysis..
It’s worked to a point. But we aren’t talking about changing style. Just hitting the thing in and around goal. Rather than over playing. We haven’t scored the goals you expect of a team in the promotion spots. In fact Crawley in 12th have the same goals scored we do.

I remember the absolute fury over Parkys supposed lack of a plan B that was an imperative for any football manager. The players he possessed were relatively far less talented than the ones we have now. What’s our plan B for games like today? When how we played clearly didn’t work. And perhaps for another must win next week might not work. What’s the plan B?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 01, 2021 10:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:47 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:46 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:42 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:39 pm
One goal we only score one goal, we only score one goal....

And yet sixteen times this season it's been enough. Very little is going to change between now and next weekend, so let's just get behind what we've got.
I think we need to adapt our game a bit for next week. The way we played today was madness at times. Crawley have nothing on it so can relax and presumably invite us on then try and hit on the break. I think we need to be more direct in and around the box. Stop trying to pass teams to do and get shots on target. We had 2 today. That’s simply way off where we need to be. And numerous times we had chance to get a shot away and didn't. We cannot realistically change a lot. But there is absolutely no reason to persist in trying to walk it in as it isn’t working.
G'wan then. I'll call.bollocks. This shit that clearly isn't working still has us with more wins, points, goal difference - fewer goals conceded since 01/01 21...might not be enough in the final analysis..
It’s worked to a point. But we aren’t talking about changing style. Just hitting the thing in and around goal. Rather than over playing. We haven’t scored the goals you expect of a team in the promotion spots. In fact Crawley in 12th have the same goals scored we do.

I remember the absolute fury over Parkys supposed lack of a plan B that was an imperative for any football manager. The players he possessed were relatively far less talented than the ones we have now. What’s our plan B for games like today? When how we played clearly didn’t work. And perhaps for another must win next week might not work. What’s the plan B?
Will you move on? To this progressive, community club that you think puts Shazza at the top of the league?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10371
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 01, 2021 10:36 pm

We deffo need to practice pulling the feck* trigger. Arthur, Delf and others guilty in that second half of titting about trying to find 5 yards space for gethin Jones who would probably have shanked the cross anyway. Nobody brave enough in the final third today - somebody needs to want to be the man shooting or playing the killer ball. Isgrove was pants today as was Dapo. Sarce probably ran his race after an hour...need longer next week as GT did not help.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10371
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 01, 2021 10:41 pm

And if we feck it up the list of people whose fault it is starts and ends with the forward line...Isgrove, Dapo, Delf, Arthur...none good enough for me. Sarce gets a pass cos he’s been injured, Kieron Lee another...one more game, one more chance...don’t fancy us in the play offs

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27902
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 01, 2021 10:49 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:41 pm
And if we feck it up the list of people whose fault it is starts and ends with the forward line...Isgrove, Dapo, Delf, Arthur...none good enough for me. Sarce gets a pass cos he’s been injured, Kieron Lee another...one more game, one more chance...don’t fancy us in the play offs
Kieron Lee is not an attacking midfield player. He has 26 goals in 300 odd games. Never going to score much.

I agree with the rest, Delf was ok first half of season.

But rest aren’t good enough. If we went up none of them are close to good enough. If we stayed down I’d want options who actually score and create.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests