The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:57 pm
Yeah I don't disagree. I don't think the plan is to win 1-0 and lots of those narrow wins, we had the chances to be out of sight. My view on "look" (and I accept the numbers aren't there yet) is that Dapo is good enough to play higher. The rest are fine at this level but IMO no more. I think it's the part of the side that is most obviously improveable.
We will have to agree to disagree on Dapo. For me he’s one of the biggest issues in the side....no end product.

Whatever league we are in next season a lack of goals throughout needs fixing along with our set pieces. We also need some stronger more physical players. Was evident how Grimsby and Exeter caused is trouble and IF we go up league one is more demanding in that area. If we don’t we need more variety.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 02, 2021 11:53 pm

I think we lack depth pretty much everywhere, but the front three is where the obvious improvements to the first XI can be made IMO (obvious in the sense of identifying the weaknesses, they're also obviously the players everyone wants).

The back 8 is good enough to hold its own a league above. The best I can come up with for the front three is my "feel" is that one of them, who isn't even ours, could cut it. Lloyd no chance. Eoin would do ok personally I reckon in terms of goals but not enough (as he probably does in league 2) to make up for the lack of all round play.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 am

Agree more goals is great. That said, there are 2 goals scored, difference between 5 of the top seven. A team with 15 more than us is 8th and one with 17 goals more than us is 18th. I don't want to swap places.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 03, 2021 9:55 am

Regardless of whether we are in League 1 or 2 next season we certainly need more attacking / goal scoring options, more pace up front, a decent big keeper and a few more physical / aggressive players. Another commanding strong CB & a proper tough tackling box to box central midfielder.

I think at least 5 or 6 new starting players. Saying that Politic will be a starter next season IMO and he would have given us something different going forward this season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 11:08 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 am
Agree more goals is great. That said, there are 2 goals scored, difference between 5 of the top seven. A team with 15 more than us is 8th and one with 17 goals more than us is 18th. I don't want to swap places.
We’ve scored more than 2 goals only on 5 occasions this season. 4 of those were Pre January and only resulted in 1 win. Only once since Jan have we scored more than 2.

To me it’s clear goals have been more of an issue as the season went on. We improved defensively but our attacking play had become progressively worse, at least in terms of output. When you think Delf was on 8 and looking like a solid second scorer before his baby and is still on 8 and still our second highest scorer even though he’s not played much since then it speaks to a lack of goals. I suspect psychologically that plays a part as when we go 1-0 up we lack the belief as a team to make the game easier. You don’t need to play well for 90 minutes you need to do well in patches and put the ball away when you get the chance. Goals change games.

Edit: Just used transfermarkt to confirm my suspicion. Last ten we’ve scored 10 and conceded 7. So one goal a game. Previous 10 we’d bagged 17 and conceded 4.

Goals or lack of has definitely become an issue as we move deeper into the season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 11:26 am

Yes goals do change games, but points win leagues. Oldham aren't 18th because they've scored too few goals. Ideally we'd want both points and goals, but would you swap Oldham's goals for our points?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 11:58 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:26 am
Yes goals do change games, but points win leagues. Oldham aren't 18th because they've scored too few goals. Ideally we'd want both points and goals, but would you swap Oldham's goals for our points?
No of course not. But the discussion is why are we struggling more now? And goals which were less of an issue previously are now a problem. Whether that’s symptomatic of a side that flattered itself with a good run and now things are evening themselves out or whether it’s pressure or whatever the thing that determines the outcome of football matches has become progressively worse for us over time.

We might need to go to Crawley and score 2 or 3 that’s not unreasonable for a side going for promotion. I hope we find a way to do that. My guess is a relaxed Crawley side who just put 3 in last week will have a chance to score a goal or 2 no matter how well we defend. We might be lucky and they miss. But I’d rather we found a way to look like scoring so our defending becomes less on edge so to speak. Like the Notts Forest game we went in struggling for goals but put some fresh legs in changed it a bit and found a way to somehow score 3 goals. Personally for me it’s enough of an issue that it’s worth finding a solution.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 pm

Flattered? Give over. The best run we've had in ages and you are hinting it is a fluke? We have to go to Crawley and match Morcambe's result. Simple.

Why can't you just go with the flow? Insesent issue with everything from a side sitting in 3rd is borderline insane.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 12:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:08 am
Worthy4England wrote:
We’ve scored more than 2 goals only on 5 occasions this season. 4 of those were Pre January and only resulted in 1 win. Only once since Jan have we scored more than 2.

To me it’s clear goals have been more of an issue as the season went on. We improved defensively but our attacking play had become progressively worse, at least in terms of output. When you think Delf was on 8 and looking like a solid second scorer before his baby and is still on 8 and still our second highest scorer even though he’s not played much since then it speaks to a lack of goals. I suspect psychologically that plays a part as when we go 1-0 up we lack the belief as a team to make the game easier. You don’t need to play well for 90 minutes you need to do well in patches and put the ball away when you get the chance. Goals change games.

Edit: Just used transfermarkt to confirm my suspicion. Last ten we’ve scored 10 and conceded 7. So one goal a game. Previous 10 we’d bagged 17 and conceded 4.

Goals or lack of has definitely become an issue as we move deeper into the season.
From the last 14 games of the season, we accumulated 14 points in the reverse fixtures. We've currently got 28 points from those revers fixtures, with one left to play. So depends on how and where you draw the lines, to try and prove your point. I'll take the 28 points with one to play, thanks :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 1:17 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 pm
Flattered? Give over. The best run we've had in ages and you are hinting it is a fluke? We have to go to Crawley and match Morcambe's result. Simple.

Why can't you just go with the flow? Insesent issue with everything from a side sitting in 3rd is borderline insane.
Because you can see over the last couple of months we’ve not been that good. And we’ve got results but increasingly over time that is grinding to a halt. And to make this count we need to go and win Saturday. Otherwise it’s all meaningless. It’s not hard to see the issues we’ve had and for whatever reason we aren’t playing as well now as we did in February.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:08 am
Worthy4England wrote:

From the last 14 games of the season, we accumulated 14 points in the reverse fixtures. We've currently got 28 points from those revers fixtures, with one left to play. So depends on how and where you draw the lines, to try and prove your point. I'll take the 28 points with one to play, thanks :-)
That’s not my point nor does it negate it. We are better second half of the season. But it’s clear as day our goals are drying up for whatever reason and that’s contributing to our run in April not being as good as previously. And right now we’ve a job to do. Win a game against a team with nothing to play for. And we need to find a way to do that and I hope we have more than a plan A or cling on for a 1-0 as that did not work Saturday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 1:43 pm

What's the "nothing to play for" thing? In the last 4 games, they've beaten Cheltenham and drawn to FGR....

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:17 pm
DJBlu wrote:

Because you can see over the last couple of months we’ve not been that good. And we’ve got results but increasingly over time that is grinding to a halt. And to make this count we need to go and win Saturday. Otherwise it’s all meaningless. It’s not hard to see the issues we’ve had and for whatever reason we aren’t playing as well now as we did in February.
Over the past 10 games we've got a really good ppg. Same as the last 5 games. If this is as rough a patch as you're suggesting I would've took it at the start of the season. Yes performances haven't matched the same level as the long tues sat patch we were having but they have been on a decent quality.

We've had too many terrible seasons with a lot to complain about. For anyone to be complaining at this stage is seemingly incredulous. They done well and they're almost there. Pressure off and I reckon they'd get over the line

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 pm

Undeniably we have had a problem scoring goals. We have missed some "sitters" recently. I can tell you, as a defender, it annoys you when your forward line keep missing. It gives the opposition confidence that they can attack because they know we will miss 3 out of 4 chances. If they can score their few chance(s) when they get it, they can win!

Fortunately, Baptiste, Santos and Williams have been Trojans and helping us to keep clean sheets and putting points on the table. But teams are now attacking us leaving gaps behind them, knowing that we will most likely miss if we get behind them. This to me is a big problem which we must fix. We will definitely need players who know where the net is next season, whichever division we are in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 2:10 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 pm
Undeniably we have had a problem scoring goals. We have missed some "sitters" recently. I can tell you, as a defender, it annoys you when your forward line keep missing. It gives the opposition confidence that they can attack because they know we will miss 3 out of 4 chances. If they can score their few chance(s) when they get it, they can win!

Fortunately, Baptiste, Santos and Williams have been Trojans and helping us to keep clean sheets and putting points on the table. But teams are now attacking us leaving gaps behind them, knowing that we will most likely miss if we get behind them. This to me is a big problem which we must fix. We will definitely need players who know where the net is next season, whichever division we are in.
I'd probably add Gilks to that too. He's done pretty well for us,

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

Over the past 10 games we've got a really good ppg. Same as the last 5 games. If this is as rough a patch as you're suggesting I would've took it at the start of the season. Yes performances haven't matched the same level as the long tues sat patch we were having but they have been on a decent quality.

We've had too many terrible seasons with a lot to complain about. For anyone to be complaining at this stage is seemingly incredulous. They done well and they're almost there. Pressure off and I reckon they'd get over the line
If we are stuck in league two then there is a lot more to moan about than in previous seasons. Given it would represent our worst league finishing position in the clubs long and illustrious history. A season is judged purely on the end result. For me. In ten years nobody gives a shite we had a good run got into a great position and messed it up. It just is remembered as a low point for the club bumbling along in league 2.

The whole season comes down to 90 minutes on Saturday. Hopefully as we did against Peterborough and Notts Forest we embrace the pressure, stand up as men and get the job done. We should against Crawley who have nothing to play for. That’s the bottom line for me. We shot ourselves in the foot Saturday. A self inflicted defeat. But we have a chance to fix it. But we must.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 2:41 pm

You keep saying Crawley have nothing to play for, like a stuck record - what's the implication of that? Given they've beaten the top of the league and drawn with 7th in the last 4 games. This isn't going to be a gimmie.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 03, 2021 2:44 pm

Every club would love to turn us over on the final day and deny us. Crawley would love it. No way does the 'nothing to play for' advantage come into it.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:35 pm
Mar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

If we are stuck in league two then there is a lot more to moan about than in previous seasons. Given it would represent our worst league finishing position in the clubs long and illustrious history. A season is judged purely on the end result. For me. In ten years nobody gives a shite we had a good run got into a great position and messed it up. It just is remembered as a low point for the club bumbling along in league 2.

The whole season comes down to 90 minutes on Saturday. Hopefully as we did against Peterborough and Notts Forest we embrace the pressure, stand up as men and get the job done. We should against Crawley who have nothing to play for. That’s the bottom line for me. We shot ourselves in the foot Saturday. A self inflicted defeat. But we have a chance to fix it. But we must.

More than the season before last when we failed to fulfil a fixture, staff were going unpaid, and we were hurtling towards administration?

Don't misunderstand me, I have little tolerance for the idea we should just be grateful the club still exists and shouldn't be concerned with what happens on the pitch - I was just about to post a reply to Mar stating as much - but crikey.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 2:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:41 pm
You keep saying Crawley have nothing to play for, like a stuck record - what's the implication of that? Given they've beaten the top of the league and drawn with 7th in the last 4 games. This isn't going to be a gimmie.
Of course it doesn’t make it a gimmie. The point is IF you think we are a better side than Crawley and IF we go there fully focussed and play at full throttle you’d expect us to win more often than not.

It doesn’t guarantee we win but it’s about digging out that one last big performance.

My point is the very opposite. We need to go there and want it more. Run further and harder than they do. Show the desire in challenges etc...if we do all that the rest will take care of itself. If we perform as we did Saturday though I think Crawley will have a field day.