The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 03, 2021 3:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:54 pm
My point is the very opposite. We need to go there and want it more. Run further and harder than they do. Show the desire in challenges etc...if we do all that the rest will take care of itself. If we perform as we did Saturday though I think Crawley will have a field day.
This 100%....it will need to be our best performance of the season to win this & a complete 90 min performance at that.

And a serious step up in desire & intensity.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 3:07 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:35 pm
Mar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:17 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:14 pm
Flattered? Give over. The best run we've had in ages and you are hinting it is a fluke? We have to go to Crawley and match Morcambe's result. Simple.

Why can't you just go with the flow? Insesent issue with everything from a side sitting in 3rd is borderline insane.
Because you can see over the last couple of months we’ve not been that good. And we’ve got results but increasingly over time that is grinding to a halt. And to make this count we need to go and win Saturday. Otherwise it’s all meaningless. It’s not hard to see the issues we’ve had and for whatever reason we aren’t playing as well now as we did in February.
Over the past 10 games we've got a really good ppg. Same as the last 5 games. If this is as rough a patch as you're suggesting I would've took it at the start of the season. Yes performances haven't matched the same level as the long tues sat patch we were having but they have been on a decent quality.

We've had too many terrible seasons with a lot to complain about. For anyone to be complaining at this stage is seemingly incredulous. They done well and they're almost there. Pressure off and I reckon they'd get over the line
If we are stuck in league two then there is a lot more to moan about than in previous seasons. Given it would represent our worst league finishing position in the clubs long and illustrious history. A season is judged purely on the end result. For me. In ten years nobody gives a shite we had a good run got into a great position and messed it up. It just is remembered as a low point for the club bumbling along in league 2.

The whole season comes down to 90 minutes on Saturday. Hopefully as we did against Peterborough and Notts Forest we embrace the pressure, stand up as men and get the job done. We should against Crawley who have nothing to play for. That’s the bottom line for me. We shot ourselves in the foot Saturday. A self inflicted defeat. But we have a chance to fix it. But we must.

More than the season before last when we failed to fulfil a fixture, staff were going unpaid, and we were hurtling towards administration?

Don't misunderstand me, I have little tolerance for the idea we should just be grateful the club still exists and shouldn't be concerned with what happens on the pitch - I was just about to post a reply to Mar stating as much - but crikey.
In terms of on the field. We all know the horrific stuff that happened to us over the last couple of seasons. And off field things are looking far better. But it’s a nonsense to say being stuck in league two is something to be happy about. It’s great we still exist. But that has nothing to do with the players and manager.

We all feel how we feel. I can’t pretend I think we’ve been a great watch this season. For me it was a dreadful start followed by an exceptional run of results but still a run where we edged games rather than put teams to the sword and over time that run has become edgier. Regardless I am about the result not how we get there. We’ve simply just got to win on Saturday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 3:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:54 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:41 pm
You keep saying Crawley have nothing to play for, like a stuck record - what's the implication of that? Given they've beaten the top of the league and drawn with 7th in the last 4 games. This isn't going to be a gimmie.
Of course it doesn’t make it a gimmie. The point is IF you think we are a better side than Crawley and IF we go there fully focussed and play at full throttle you’d expect us to win more often than not.

It doesn’t guarantee we win but it’s about digging out that one last big performance.

My point is the very opposite. We need to go there and want it more. Run further and harder than they do. Show the desire in challenges etc...if we do all that the rest will take care of itself. If we perform as we did Saturday though I think Crawley will have a field day.
As we've said all season (or latter half anyhow) - fine margins. Hope we can do enough on the day.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 03, 2021 4:35 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:
Over the past 10 games we've got a really good ppg. Same as the last 5 games. If this is as rough a patch as you're suggesting I would've took it at the start of the season. Yes performances haven't matched the same level as the long tues sat patch we were having but they have been on a decent quality.

We've had too many terrible seasons with a lot to complain about. For anyone to be complaining at this stage is seemingly incredulous. They done well and they're almost there. Pressure off and I reckon they'd get over the line
If we are stuck in league two then there is a lot more to moan about than in previous seasons. Given it would represent our worst league finishing position in the clubs long and illustrious history. A season is judged purely on the end result. For me. In ten years nobody gives a shite we had a good run got into a great position and messed it up. It just is remembered as a low point for the club bumbling along in league 2.

The whole season comes down to 90 minutes on Saturday. Hopefully as we did against Peterborough and Notts Forest we embrace the pressure, stand up as men and get the job done. We should against Crawley who have nothing to play for. That’s the bottom line for me. We shot ourselves in the foot Saturday. A self inflicted defeat. But we have a chance to fix it. But we must.

More than the season before last when we failed to fulfil a fixture, staff were going unpaid, and we were hurtling towards administration?

Don't misunderstand me, I have little tolerance for the idea we should just be grateful the club still exists and shouldn't be concerned with what happens on the pitch - I was just about to post a reply to Mar stating as much - but crikey.

Being stuck in league two is lot more to moan about than previous seasons?

Surely being days away from going out of business is a bigger issue than being a successful side in league two.

And I get that we should be concerned with what happens on the pitch, but to be as overly reactive as some have been, to the point where we're blindsiding ourselves from the fantastic run we've had and relatively decent form we are seeing, just seems daft to me.

I'm happy where we are heading and how we are going about it. I've got faith in the management, the players and the board. Something that I haven't been able to say for roughly a decade. Long may that continue.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 5:23 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:35 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:

Being stuck in league two is lot more to moan about than previous seasons?

Surely being days away from going out of business is a bigger issue than being a successful side in league two.

And I get that we should be concerned with what happens on the pitch, but to be as overly reactive as some have been, to the point where we're blindsiding ourselves from the fantastic run we've had and relatively decent form we are seeing, just seems daft to me.

I'm happy where we are heading and how we are going about it. I've got faith in the management, the players and the board. Something that I haven't been able to say for roughly a decade. Long may that continue.
You’ve got to take your chances in football. You and I have no idea what happens next season with a very different squad and how the finances of the owners and their future plans are hit by not going up. What I do know is FV haven’t planned for league two football for long. Next season should we stay down you have to expect the playing budget to be smaller but the fact is promotion would be an absolute must if ever there was an absolute must.

The chance is here now. If we don’t take it what does a good run count for? Nothing.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 03, 2021 5:31 pm

See however disappointing it would be to be in League 2 next season & it really would btw, I actually think that the budget would be higher and also the embargo will have gone, so we can pay fee's for players if FV have the finance. Also the salary cap has been scrapped so potentially we could really go for it next season and sign enough players from a level higher to really dominate League 2 next season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 03, 2021 5:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:23 pm

You’ve got to take your chances in football. You and I have no idea what happens next season with a very different squad and how the finances of the owners and their future plans are hit by not going up. What I do know is FV haven’t planned for league two football for long. Next season should we stay down you have to expect the playing budget to be smaller but the fact is promotion would be an absolute must if ever there was an absolute must.The chance is here now. If we don’t take it what does a good run count for? Nothing.]
[/quote]

And the sun also rises. .......COME ON YOU WHITES!.... ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 03, 2021 5:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
You’ve got to take your chances in football. You and I have no idea what happens next season with a very different squad and how the finances of the owners and their future plans are hit by not going up. What I do know is FV haven’t planned for league two football for long. Next season should we stay down you have to expect the playing budget to be smaller but the fact is promotion would be an absolute must if ever there was an absolute must.
I suspect that paying creditors before HMRC come knocking was more of an absolute must than winning the Crawley match. It may be better for us to stay in league two and build a firm foundation that wasn't half a season, similar to Allardyce's side after his first season. Too many uncertainties, it might be for the better, it might be for worse. What is evident is that going up would be nice and that's what should be the aim.
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:31 pm
See however disappointing it would be to be in League 2 next season & it really would btw, I actually think that the budget would be higher and also the embargo will have gone, so we can pay fee's for players if FV have the finance. Also the salary cap has been scrapped so potentially we could really go for it next season and sign enough players from a level higher to really dominate League 2 next season.
I agree with this that on paper it looks like we would possibly be able to give an easier go of it than this season, especially given the number of incoming bodies that were required at the start of the season. That foundation is something that really could be built on for a bigger push next season. I'd prefer us to go up however and risk next season being a struggle.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 6:15 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I suspect that paying creditors before HMRC come knocking was more of an absolute must than winning the Crawley match. It may be better for us to stay in league two and build a firm foundation that wasn't half a season, similar to Allardyce's side after his first season. Too many uncertainties, it might be for the better, it might be for worse. What is evident is that going up would be nice and that's what should be the aim.
Bertie Wooster wrote:
I agree with this that on paper it looks like we would possibly be able to give an easier go of it than this season, especially given the number of incoming bodies that were required at the start of the season. That foundation is something that really could be built on for a bigger push next season. I'd prefer us to go up however and risk next season being a struggle.
You keep mentioning the mythical Allardyce blessing of not going up first time round. But the reality was we lost a load of top players and the club was in huge financial difficulty and had to replace them on the cheap. The fact we went up the next season was down to absolutely unbelievable management. It had nothing to do with building a better side at least on paper. We replaced Chelsea bound Gudjhonsen with unheard of Ricketts from Walsall. For example. It wasn’t a case of ok we get better it was last chance saloon with a lot less money and talent.

My fear is that if we don’t go up this season you can get stuck down here. Salford will eventually get it right the sides coming down might be a threat and I suspect we have another major rebuild coming regardless. I think that would be far better as a league one side. Especially given I doubt FV have money to spend given Covid and the longer than they expected league two stay.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 03, 2021 6:17 pm

Don't forget Boohoo are going to help FV with finance.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 6:27 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:17 pm
I think you are stretching from a tweet that could be referring to anything. I think the chances that they are going to pump money into the football club are very low indeed.

Regardless aren’t all league two clubs limited to 60% of their turnover on wages anyway? As a relegated side our limit will be higher but think it reduces next season. So whether money is there or not I think we will be on a smaller budget.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 03, 2021 6:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:15 pm
Mar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
You keep mentioning the mythical Allardyce blessing of not going up first time round. But the reality was we lost a load of top players and the club was in huge financial difficulty and had to replace them on the cheap. The fact we went up the next season was down to absolutely unbelievable management. It had nothing to do with building a better side at least on paper. We replaced Chelsea bound Gudjhonsen with unheard of Ricketts from Walsall. For example. It wasn’t a case of ok we get better it was last chance saloon with a lot less money and talent.

My fear is that if we don’t go up this season you can get stuck down here. Salford will eventually get it right the sides coming down might be a threat and I suspect we have another major rebuild coming regardless. I think that would be far better as a league one side. Especially given I doubt FV have money to spend given Covid and the longer than they expected league two stay.
I reference Allardyce because he made a good success from a failure. I'm hopeful Evatt can do the same. Last thing I want to see us do is a Derby County situation where were up and straight back down.

We've had a load of seasons where we've not had a consistent side and we've had to swap out players each season. I suspect we'll make a better go of it without swapping out the entire team.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 7:02 pm

Or a Derby county of coming close to promotion year in year out but failing. Bottom line is there is no scenario where staying down is a good thing.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 7:05 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:17 pm
Klarna?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 7:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:02 pm
Or a Derby county of coming close to promotion year in year out but failing. Bottom line is there is no scenario where staying down is a good thing.
Fairly sure it took us a few goes in the 70's under Greaves...couple of near misses. We didn't become "a Derby"...