The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:06 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:46 pm
Methinks Bruce is referring to which current Champ sides might be in L1 next term, no?

As I’ve said before, I’m in no hurry to return to that fiscal suicide pact of a division - but if in a year’s time we are in the brink of promotion to it, I wouldn’t want us to lose... although I suspect we may need a squad overhaul in summer for that to be even remotely possible.

But yeah, let’s finish this job first...
Yes he is. I was just saying that league one is a reasonable league to be in as Bruce said with the sides potentially coming down as well. Be happy to be in there a couple of years. But of course we’ve got to get there first.
Indeed I was, and I also take fully on board the folly of counting one's chickens; however, when was the last time that we could realistically look up rather than down? Hold on to these moments as they pass. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:33 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:42 am
Declan John - bench at best? Surely Jacko keeps his place on merit?
I see the logic but strongly doubt it. In a must win game he's going to pick the best player in the league in that position over a promising kid, every single time. Would be harsh on Jackson, but I'd put my house on John starting if he's fully fit.

And at left back. Obviously.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:36 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:33 am
officer_dibble wrote:
I see the logic but strongly doubt it. In a must win game he's going to pick the best player in the league in that position over a promising kid, every single time. Would be harsh on Jackson, but I'd put my house on John starting if he's fully fit.

I don't see why. His strength is going forwards. For me he needs to be in the side for his crossing alone. And Jackson had a great game. Why not try both? It might not work but given John's pace and ability to put a ball into the box, why not?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:46 am

I think we should bring in Rob Hall.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:31 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:36 am
Prufrock wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

I don't see why. His strength is going forwards. For me he needs to be in the side for his crossing alone. And Jackson had a great game. Why not try both? It might not work but given John's pace and ability to put a ball into the box, why not?
All right Dougie.

Are other fans as obsessed as ours with deciding people who've made it to the professional game playing one position would actually be much better in another?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:41 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:31 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:36 am
Prufrock wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

All right Dougie.

Are other fans as obsessed as ours with deciding people who've made it to the professional game playing one position would actually be much better in another?
I'm not permanently moving him just given Jackson was very good and John has a lot of quality in those areas (where we've clearly struggled with final ball and delivery) why isn't it worth trying? John's best attributes are the attacking ones and Jackson behind him - could make for a strong left hand side.

And improve our delivery from set pieces and the like too.

I'd also say that John really is more a wingback type so whether his 'true' best position is full back or on the left of midfield I think is somewhat up for debate....

I doubt we'll try it but I'd be interested to see how it looked.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:19 pm

Unless there is a tactical reason due to the opposition we are playing then changing what got us into this position is folly. We've just got to trust that they've got enough in them to get us over the line. Harsh on Jackson, but I doubt he's at the level yet where he's going to be consistently brilliant for runs of games. Tried and trusted for me if John is fit.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:48 pm

Yep, only selection decision will be based on John's fitness. Everyone else picks themselves at this point.

Gilks

Jones Santos Baptiste John/Jackson

Lee Williams

Isgrove Sarce Dapo

Doyle

As strong a team as we've been able to play for six weeks, so I'm confident. 1-0 Bolton.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:31 pm

Can't see change for changes sake in this game. If John's fit, he plays. That said, he's not been quite as stellar in his more recent outings as his first few, and I do have some doubts about him defensively (looks fine generally going forwards)...Bit of a pity for Jackson, really, he was just settling in when we signed John.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:31 pm
Can't see change for changes sake in this game. If John's fit, he plays. That said, he's not been quite as stellar in his more recent outings as his first few, and I do have some doubts about him defensively (looks fine generally going forwards)...Bit of a pity for Jackson, really, he was just settling in when we signed John.
So John in front of Jackson - is that not worth a try? Especially at home. I'd like to see it.

As an aside Jackson has a year left at Uddersfield whereas John is out of contract this summer according to Iles.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:28 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:31 pm
So John in front of Jackson - is that not worth a try? Especially at home. I'd like to see it.

As an aside Jackson has a year left at Uddersfield whereas John is out of contract this summer according to Iles.
I think maybe if we were in pre-season/August, then might well be worth a go. I think with 2 games left and 3 points still required, there's more chance of us trying Politic in nets...

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:46 pm

I think we'd persist with Jackson unless John us fully fit. Think his last performance warrants inclusion as some point

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:28 am

If John is fit he plays. We want our best team out there on Saturday. Jackson did well last Saturday but cannot now be first pick because of one match, especially when his competition is one of the best players in the league. John had a few ordinary/poor games recently, but looked the part again against Carlisle before his injury. As for the experiment of both of them playing.. all I would say is "seriously??!!" Two left backs on the same wing? Try that in a pre-season friendly, not when we are in an epic crunch promotion game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:56 am

I'm not the greatest fan of using gifs/vids as reactions to news, but I have to admit that this is pitch-perfect in response to the club's "Please don't come to the ground on Saturday" warning.
. .
The plea:
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/april/ ... eter-city/
Bolton Wanderers host Exeter City at the University of Bolton Stadium on Saturday afternoon (3pm) for our final home game of the Sky Bet League Two campaign where a win for Ian Evatt’s men will secure an immediate promotion back to Sky Bet League One.

The club truly appreciates the support we have had from all our supporters this season, especially as you have not been able to watch games in person due to the restrictions associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.

The club is engaging with both the local authority and Public Health England on the measures required to see the safe reintroduction of spectators when Government restrictions can be lifted.

In the meantime, with public gatherings of more than six outdoors still not permitted, and with there still being a clear risk to public health, we are politely requesting that fans do not travel to the University of Bolton Stadium on Saturday.

We all still have a big part to play in keeping down transmission rates and your safety and that of our colleagues and community is our primary concern.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the stadium once it is safe to do so and in the meantime we thank you for your loyal support, understanding and co-operation.

iFollow Match Passes, priced at £10, are available to purchase for non-season ticket holders by clicking here.

For more information about local COVID-19 Restrictions click here.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:12 pm

Without wishing to get into a c19 debate my view is that the club have been left in an awkward position here. Surely some form of socially distanced set up to deal with the inevitable (which they can make some money at) is better than a gathering en masse which they have no idea over numbers for.

Surprised at how many have forgotten we have a tough game! I’ll assume the team haven’t!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 pm

I think that request from the Club will resonate with our fan-base who might be likely to turn up. I think they will read, that. Weep a little in angst and not convince themselves they're all in groups of less than 6 when they set off...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 pm

Yeah, the club are definitely damned if they do, damned if they don't. As you say, without getting into the rights or wrongs of it, any large gathering is currently verboten so any attempt to cater to it – even to ameliorate the possible consequences - would be not just irresponsible but presumably illegal. All they can do is ask people not to turn up.

And as you say, there's a big task on the pitch first. I think and hope we will have enough to beat Exeter, especially given their midweek exertions in having to come from behind to beat buggardly old Grimsby, but it's far from foregone. Considering his Barrow team was promoted in absentia, Evatt will be breaking new managerial ground here, and I hope and trust he's up to it: the message all week long must be "Job's not done."

Allardyce and Rioch, among others, have said the task before big games is not so much "getting them up" as "calming them down": focus on your task, do the next right thing, block out the noise and score at least one more than the oppo.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:12 pm
Without wishing to get into a c19 debate my view is that the club have been left in an awkward position here. Surely some form of socially distanced set up to deal with the inevitable (which they can make some money at) is better than a gathering en masse which they have no idea over numbers for.

Surprised at how many have forgotten we have a tough game! I’ll assume the team haven’t!
It may well be better but they are simply not allowed to do it under national COVID rules until 17th May. Whilst drive in cinemas are allowed, sporting events are covered separately and are not other than the trials officially taking place. Sport is still covered by groups of 6 rule and by law regarding sport 'intended for spectator attendance'. This blocks the club from organising a drive in match viewing. EVEN if the rules allowed it the chance of being able to get council permission, relevant permits and sort out a suitable screen (do you know how difficult that would be) and a plan to get cars into the car park (checking of course for social bubble adherence as organisers of the event are duty bound to) and all that...the rules for drive in cinemas (IF they applied here) would make such a thing impossible to manage in a week and they'd have to draw lots as numbers wanting to attend would be far higher than could be accomodated.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:00 pm

Another huge game - we've had a lot of those since the turn of the year. Before last evenings game, since the turn of the year we'd:

Played more matches than anyone else - Tied 1st - think a couple of teams went in front of us last night, by 1 game obvs.
Won more matches than anyone else - 1st
Lost fewer matches than anyone else - 1st
Scored more goals than all but 4 teams - 5th (Cambridge, Morecambe, Tranmere and Oldham scored more)
Conceded fewer goals than anyone else - T1st - now 1st as Cheltenham conceded
Had the biggest improvement in GD - 1st
Accumulated more points than any other team - 1st
Have the best PPG return - 1st.

Don't let it slip now, chaps.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:02 pm

Yes BWFCI I think it’s the rules that are crackers and think the club have been placed in an awkward position as a result.