Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:45 am
^^ Crawley at home. 24 shots, 7 on target. Result 0-1.

Just enjoy the moment and have a bit of fun!
I think he's confusing bottle with getting your shit together.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun May 09, 2021 1:04 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:58 am
I'm still on an absolute high from yesterday and some of the videos doing the rounds have been fantastic.

Yesterday was particularly emotional and special for me. One or two on here know about my brother in law. Lovely lad in his mid 50s and a big Wanderers fan. A fit bloke, triathlete, iron man, veggie etc who got covid early last year. He struggled to recover and get back to proper training and then out of the blue in November, was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

He's got very little time left now and really, football and Bolton Wanderers shouldn't matter but they do. Thankfully, he was able to watch the game in bed yesterday with his lads, who are both keen fans too, at the side of him and he managed a sip of champagne as we won.

Obviously,it's an awful situation and footy shouldn't really be relevant but if, as seems likely, that's the last match he ever sees, I'm so pleased he's seen us not only get promoted but he's seen the celebrations and the togetherness of the club, the fans and the community.

Thats thanks to Sharon, Ian and everyone at my club. I couldn't be prouder of them.
Really sorry to hear that, pal. Hopefully yesterday brought a little sunshine for you all in this dark time.

Football really should be a great triviality, but I think events of recent weeks have shown how powerful a force it can be for bringing communities together. I’ve not lived in Bolton for 17 years, but right now I couldn’t feel closer to my club and my town. Long may this continue.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 09, 2021 1:08 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:45 am
^^ Crawley at home. 24 shots, 7 on target. Result 0-1.

Just enjoy the moment and have a bit of fun!
I think he's confusing bottle with getting your shit together.
Bottle isn’t my word. But yes that’s how I saw it as a properly focussed performance would see us home yesterday. And we found it and some.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
I'm still on an absolute high from yesterday and some of the videos doing the rounds have been fantastic.

Yesterday was particularly emotional and special for me. One or two on here know about my brother in law. Lovely lad in his mid 50s and a big Wanderers fan. A fit bloke, triathlete, iron man, veggie etc who got covid early last year. He struggled to recover and get back to proper training and then out of the blue in November, was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

He's got very little time left now and really, football and Bolton Wanderers shouldn't matter but they do. Thankfully, he was able to watch the game in bed yesterday with his lads, who are both keen fans too, at the side of him and he managed a sip of champagne as we won.

Obviously,it's an awful situation and footy shouldn't really be relevant but if, as seems likely, that's the last match he ever sees, I'm so pleased he's seen us not only get promoted but he's seen the celebrations and the togetherness of the club, the fans and the community.

Thats thanks to Sharon, Ian and everyone at my club. I couldn't be prouder of them.
Condolences H.G. I don't know him, but my prayers are with him.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 2:11 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Best wishes to the family, HG. It's at such moments that I couldn't agree more with Arrigo Sacchi's quote that football is "the most important of the unimportant things." Times like these make you value what we have, and he got to see promotion via a wonderful performance from a club on the up, run by good people with a good ethos, and with wonderful potential. Compared to where we've been – and here I don't mean the fourth division but the genuinely existential angst – I think we should all enjoy the moment as we can and count our blessings.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 09, 2021 2:21 pm

Couldn't have a beer yesterday on account of hospital appt, today. There maybe some "let's be 'avin' you" posts later. Apols in advance.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 09, 2021 3:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:21 pm
Couldn't have a beer yesterday on account of hospital appt, today. There maybe some "let's be 'avin' you" posts later. Apols in advance.
Enjoy!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun May 09, 2021 3:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words chaps. Much appreciated.

Promotion is always a great occasion but who would have thought shouting at a laptop or an iPad for a whole season could be such fun?!!

I'll raise a glass with you Worthy- here's to being back in the grounds for next season! :pissed:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 09, 2021 3:35 pm

Never one to miss a chance. Sheila's joined me with "honeymoon pics" from 20 years ago. Don't think she got the script. :-(

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun May 09, 2021 7:26 pm

Can someone cleverer than me set up a PotS poll, with first, second and third choices?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun May 09, 2021 7:31 pm

What a way to get it over the line!! Brilliant, stylish, performance
I was a critic of Isgrove from an attacking point of view, but this last 6-7 weeks, he's been fantastic. He's added product to his workrate

All the goals were excellent and there'd have been no arguments from anybody, had we put 6 or 7 past Crawley.

The scenes after the game were brilliant on the pitch, in the dressing room and outside the Crawley ground with the fans (credit to the police for allowing that) and back at the Unibol too. Fans in their many hundreds outside in the middle of the night to welcome home their heroes.

There seems to be a real connection again with the fans and I have such a good feeling about next season. I think we can challenge
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun May 09, 2021 7:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Brought tear to my eye this post. I'm glad he was able to enjoy it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun May 09, 2021 7:55 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

That’s really special HG. ♥️

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 am

Gave the players a run for their money most of Saturday and Sunday celebrating my birthday as well as the promotion!! To finally lie on the couch last night and watch all the clips and vids from the club and fans and players after the game defo brought a few tears to my eyes!! Amazing scenes...

What did strike me tho, one of two players were conspicuous by their absence in the celebrations? Notably Gilks, Delf, Tutte, Arthur...?

Lloyd Isgrove seems a bit of a crackpot tho!! Didn’t have him down as the class clown...! 😂

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 11, 2021 9:39 am

Doyle amused me. All his interviews are pretty deadpan even when he's scored a couple. Turned into Billy the Beer Monster.

Not sure I'd read too much into absentees. All nighters ain't for everyone.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 11, 2021 9:46 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:39 am
Doyle amused me. All his interviews are pretty deadpan even when he's scored a couple. Turned into Billy the Beer Monster.

Not sure I'd read too much into absentees. All nighters ain't for everyone.
Nor indeed are celebrations. There’s the story from Everton’s players after winning the FA Cup in 1995 wondering where Big Nev Southall was. Answer was “halfway up the M40”...

Besides, Delf will have had nappies to change and The King needed to do a shop run... :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 am

Gilks sounded like he just fancied a few beers and an early night in his interview and who can blame him. 38 and probably feels out of place with a generation of younger lads doing their thing around him....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 11, 2021 9:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:48 am
Gilks sounded like he just fancied a few beers and an early night in his interview and who can blame him. 38 and probably feels out of place with a generation of younger lads doing their thing around him....
Gliks, mighta been trying to find an ice bath :-) Delf has a sprog, under 1 at home. King Arthur liked signing coz he could walk to work, he lives that near. Tutte mighta got the cursed "curly finger" for all we know.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 11, 2021 12:15 pm

Piece from The Athletic, so it may be behind a paywall: https://theathletic.com/2575588/2021/05 ... the-start/

Includes an interview with Evatt, the most notable being “One of the reasons I went to Bolton from Barrow was because I didn’t want another stepping-stone club. I didn’t want a club where I needed to move to keep progressing. Bolton was a club where we can grow together and take me where I want to go.”

Also confirms that we need to repay unsecured creditors including Bolton Council 35% of what we owe by August - £3.5m is mentioned - or risk a potential 15pt penalty, but notes that the club has promised the money will be paid.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue May 11, 2021 2:42 pm

Yes, DSb, pay wall - at least for me.

I wonder whether that is the reason for the Messrs K being here last week. :conf: