Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 03, 2021 4:41 pm

We’re going to bang on about it all week, might as well have a match thread.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 03, 2021 4:52 pm

I'd love to be positive & proved wrong and I'll probably get stick for this, and I really don't want another season in this shite league with shite grounds and shite refs and I like Evatt as a manager - but being totally honest I just don't think that we have the characters in the squad to win a 'winner takes all' type game.

I really would like to be more positive but I can't see anything else but a Crawley win, and a comfortable one at that possibly 2-0.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 03, 2021 5:03 pm

I think it’s going to be a rollercoaster. Not sure which way it will go but this season wouldn’t have been complete without some final day drama. Hope we do it, struggling to see us recovering mentally for the play offs if not.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 03, 2021 5:18 pm

I was positive on Saturday morning & honestly thought that we would do it, but I've actually now resigned myself to League 2 next season.

The players have done a absolutely remarkable job to get to where we are now after the start that we had, but our recent form isn't great - we were very poor at Grimsby, nearly blew it at home to Carlisle, even Morecambe with 10 men nearly equalised at the end and had a couple of efforts cleared it off the line & then again on Saturday the defending for both goals was shocking and for me that's not the mentality of a promotion chasing team.

There is a lot to be admired about this team & the run they've had since Feb, but again apologies for the negativity but I can't lie & be positive when I don't really believe that these players are strong enough mentally to do this. I may be wrong (I really hope that I am as I would celebrate like the next man, if not more) but this is my gut feeling unfortunately.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 5:21 pm

Just win. It’s all on the line everything. The clubs future the fans future and the players future. It’s that big. I want to see the players take the pressure and perform. As Bolton teams have in the past - go and pull it out of the bag. We are more than capable. It’s about mental toughness.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2021 5:39 pm

I'm not sure the club's future is on the line...Nor the fans future. Certainly one we'd want to win.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 03, 2021 5:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:39 pm
I'm not sure the club's future is on the line...Nor the fans future. Certainly one we'd want to win.
I agree neither the club or the fans future is on the line, however disappointing losing may be.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 03, 2021 5:54 pm

How very pessimistic. Tell you what, let's win. Why doubt the lads in advance? Forget Crawley, think Bolton. COME ON YOU WHITES.... :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon May 03, 2021 5:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:21 pm
Just win. It’s all on the line everything. The clubs future the fans future and the players future. It’s that big. I want to see the players take the pressure and perform. As Bolton teams have in the past - go and pull it out of the bag. We are more than capable. It’s about mental toughness.
Have you ever given a motivational speech?

Let them know the cure for cancer is on the line too or win and we can say bye to Covid. It's a game of football at the end of the day and if they don't win then we go again.

I'm sure they all know individually what is at stake. Saying the clubs future is under threat is more than ridiculous. They are 3rd, not 23rd.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 03, 2021 6:08 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:21 pm
Have you ever given a motivational speech?

Let them know the cure for cancer is on the line too or win and we can say bye to Covid. It's a game of football at the end of the day and if they don't win then we go again.

I'm sure they all know individually what is at stake. Saying the clubs future is under threat is more than ridiculous. They are 3rd, not 23rd.
We went to Cardiff with the management and players knowing the club was going to the wall if we didn’t win. We rose to the occasion. Future on the line doesn’t mean in this case the club goes bust it just means that the whole future is dictated by this result potentially.

I want a team of lion hearts who rise to pressure like that team did or the one that beat Peterborough. Not one that wilts.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon May 03, 2021 7:18 pm

"Just Win!" I wish it was as easy to do so as I have just written. But it isn't. Our mentality has to be strong. no smiling stuff. game face on. We must outscore Crawley.. no matter what.. no baby tippy tappy stuff. Its a war and everyman knows his job. Stop them from scoring at all cost and hit that ball towards goal if we get 1 yard of space.

Players Mentality should = WE MUST WIN THIS!!

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Bit of significant team news for them - Tom Nichols their main attacking spark is still serving a suspension for a straight red he picked up a couple of weeks ago.

Having said that they did score 3 against the league’s 3rd best defence on Saturday...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm

I was slightly surprised by how despondent Evatt and Gilks were in their post-match interviews on Saturday. I hope it was just a temporary visceral reaction rather than indicative of the general mood.

We have to avoid overcomplicating it - we seem to only ever win tense affairs by a single-goal margin but we've won often enough to be confident - however I'm sympathetic to the idea of making a change to give our starting eleven the fresh impetus it feels it needs. For me though, there's only one change we should consider making and that's starting Miller. The difficulty is it would entail a change of formation, which would be a bold move.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 03, 2021 8:33 pm

It’s 4231
Lee is supposedly out so that’s 99% a nailed on start for young thomo - who was gash on Saturday but wasn’t on his own. Not let us down from the start yet and certainly doesn’t play with fear.
I think there’s some sense in dropping Dapo for Delf...experience plus Dapos pace/energy on the bench. He was shit on Saturday. Delf has been pretty poor for a while though, to the point where if he was only on a one year deal he wouldn’t be here for me next season, whatever league we are in.

On the bench Arthur and Elbo, Alongside Jensen, Miller, Jacko/Brocky Tutte and Delf/Dapo.

Sarce has to play 90.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 pm

I’m 25 min down the road from Crawley. Want me to go yell outside the stadium for you all?! :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:08 pm

We went to Cardiff with the management and players knowing the club was going to the wall if we didn’t win.
I'm calling bullshit on this claim.

We weren't and wouldn't have gone to the wall if we'd lost.

I can't imagine even a single player in that final line up, went into the game thinking the club would be no more if they didn't win.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 03, 2021 8:50 pm

As for the game, I'm resigned to the nightmare of the play offs and losing to bloody Tranmere.

2-1 defeat.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 pm
I’m 25 min down the road from Crawley. Want me to go yell outside the stadium for you all?! :D

Get your shooting boots on and you can have a place in the starting 11.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon May 03, 2021 9:21 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 pm

Get your shooting boots on and you can have a place in the starting 11.
Well I am an FA cup veteran... 8)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon May 03, 2021 9:24 pm

After this weekend's shenanigans I think it's a good thing we're playing hundreds of miles away from Bolton.