Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 14, 2021 6:18 pm

BLACKBURN
Corry Evans, Charlie Mulgrew, Amari’i Bell, Stewart Downing, Lewis Holtby, Joe Grayson, Stefan Mols, Lewis Thompson, Ben Paton, Brad Lyons and Tom White – RELEASED
Elliott Bennett, Harry Chapman – CONTRACT OFFERED
Ryan Nyambe, Joe Rothwell, Joe Rankin-Costello, Bradley Johnson – CONTRACT EXTENDED

Tom White we know obvz, but wasn't Amari'i Bell the flying Fleetwood left-back we were after a while since?

DONCASTER
Danny Amos - RELEASED
Madger Gomes - RELEASED
Ian Lawlor - RELEASED
Joe Wright - RELEASED
Reece James - IN TALKS
Jason Lokilo - IN TALKS
Lirak Hasani - IN TALKS
Ben Blythe - CONTRACT EXTENDED
Brad Halliday – RELEASED BUT IN TALKS

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:30 pm

Few names to pick out of the rubble:

The above mentioned Conor McAleny (ST/CAM) - not a chance he stays with Oldham, he’ll get a move back to L1.

Jordan Graham (LW) and Connor Ogilvie (LB) from Gillingham. Graham touted for a Champ move after a 12 goal, 6 assist season. Ogilvie’s also had a really good season I hear, so will have plenty of suitors. Both a good age at 26 and 25 respectively.

Bristol City’s Liam Walsh (CM, 23). Extremely talented central midfielder but with injury problems hence his release. If you get him fit, you’re onto a winner. Big ‘if’ though.

Swindon’s Scott Twine (CAM, 21) - 14 goals and 9 assists across 49 appearances this season for both Newport and Swindon.

Blackburn’s Amari’i Bell (LB, 27) - don’t remember him being linked to us in the past, but I hope we're interested again if we can’t get Declan John back. Has Championship experience and only 27 so in his prime years. Think he wants to get more first team football so may have to drop down to L1 to find it.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:20 pm
Potential first-team coaches might include Steve Thompson – yes, our old midfielder, but more importantly the bloke who was Ian Holloway's assistant in the Blackpool glory days Evatt liked so much; he's also been No2 at Huddersfield and Leeds, moving to Preston to rejoin Simon Grayson and staying on under Alex Neil. He stayed in spring when Neil left but it might depend whether Preston's next gaffer wants his own sidekick.

Obviously Evatt would have to consider Pete Atherton, his current Assistant Manager who wouldn't want to feel he was being demoted, before getting an experienced head in as first-team coach – but the Hooky lookalike seems an affable type and if Evatt reassures him his own place is safe, they might decide we could use someone with 15 years' coaching experience a bit further up the league ladders. Thompson's also evidently got a decent enough reputation for incoming managers to retain him – besides Neil, he has also been retained as assistant by incoming No.1 replacements Holloway and Chris Powell. Maybe the new PNE gaffer will think similarly, but if not, it's a possibility.

Or Evatt could go for a less experienced name, including former colleagues like Kevin Phillips, Stephen Crainey and Brett Ormerod, who have sought coaching careers. They'd have more to prove, obviously, but those without current roles could be brought in ad-hoc at first.

An update on the search for additional backroom staff. Hird, 33, has only just finished playing so this would be his first foray into coaching.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 14, 2021 8:08 pm

Interesting. Hird played alongside Evatt for five years in his (Evatt's) second spell at Chesterfield, so the gaffer knows his character and obviously liked it enough to take him to Barrer. Not sure I'd have gone for a wet-eared coach meself, but then, Evatt knows his own mind...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 15, 2021 2:25 pm

It being Saturday, and Cup Final Day, is no bar to the release of retained-list news.

BARNSLEY, with characteristic manic energy, have released their retained list even though they're exempt for now because they're in the play-offs. Perhaps that's because they're releasing nobody aged 24 or over (younger releasees being Corey Addai, Bradley Binns, Daniel Bramall, Henry Kendrick and Ali Omar), and have cutely described the rest of their squad en masse as "under contract or have a contract offer pending."

PORTSMOUTH, dealing with dropping out of the third-tier play-offs on the last day, have released Andy Cannon, Charlie Daniels, Jordy Hiwula, Bryn Morris, Taylor Seymour and Duncan Turnbull.

They're in talks with contract-lapsing Ben Close, Craig MacGillivray, Tom Naylor, Jack Whatmough and Ryan Williams, they've offered Alfie Stanley a contract, and triggered an extension for Haji Mnoga.

Again, I wouldn't know any of these if they were on a ladder outside my house, but someone else might. (Brommers: "Why is seven-goal wideman Jordy Hiwula fixing DSB's guttering?")

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 15, 2021 2:34 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:30 pm
Blackburn’s Amari’i Bell (LB, 27) - don’t remember him being linked to us in the past, but I hope we're interested again
On further research, I fear I may have conflated the former Fleetwood flyer with James Meredith, the Bradford left-back whom Millwall signed on a free ahead of us in summer 2017. I'm aware that Bell and Meredith are very different, but they were left-backs for our promotion rivals in 2016/17, and I'm evidently shedding marbles by the day.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 pm

Strong rumour Declan John might be our next permanent signing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 15, 2021 5:16 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 pm
I’m 99.9% sure he will be back here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 15, 2021 5:47 pm

Lukas Jensen has gone on loan again, to Iceland for a couple of months. That to me suggests Burnley are exercising their option to extend his contract.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 15, 2021 6:40 pm

Fri May 14, 2021 12:06 pm
SWINDON

Lee Camp - RELEASED
That's his dad on the blower to Radio Wiltshire then 😂
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 pm

The website Football Insider is claiming we're after an Aldershot midfielder, ex Bradford.

“Ipswich Town and Bolton Wanderers have joined the race to sign Aldershot Town midfielder Jermaine Anderson, Football Insider understands. The 24-year-old has caught the eye since joining the Shots in December but will be out of contract this summer. A recruitment source has told Football Insider several Football League clubs are keen on signing the former Peterborough and Bradford star. It is understood Ipswich and Bolton are among the midfielder’s top suitors as they plan their recruitment for the summer. Anderson joined Aldershot on a free after leaving Bradford last summer and has featured regularly in the side ever since.”

Ex-Arsenal academy player, turned pro with Peterborough; spent 2016/17 out with cruciate injury; loaned to Donny; spent 18 months at Bradford; released last summer, signed for Shots in December and scored 4 in 28.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 pm
The website Football Insider is claiming we're after an Aldershot midfielder, ex Bradford.

“Ipswich Town and Bolton Wanderers have joined the race to sign Aldershot Town midfielder Jermaine Anderson, Football Insider understands. The 24-year-old has caught the eye since joining the Shots in December but will be out of contract this summer. A recruitment source has told Football Insider several Football League clubs are keen on signing the former Peterborough and Bradford star. It is understood Ipswich and Bolton are among the midfielder’s top suitors as they plan their recruitment for the summer. Anderson joined Aldershot on a free after leaving Bradford last summer and has featured regularly in the side ever since.”

Ex-Arsenal academy player, turned pro with Peterborough; spent 2016/17 out with cruciate injury; loaned to Donny; spent 18 months at Bradford; released last summer, signed for Shots in December and scored 4 in 28.
Have to say his stats aren’t screaming at you off the page.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 15, 2021 8:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:21 pm

The whole story is screaming AGENT WITH DRUMKIT. But it's a rumour thread, so in it pops.

I also have a feeling, though I can't find proof, that yer man Anderson - still not a good name in our parts - was involved in the post-shootout argy and indeed bargy when Bratfurt beat our kids in the Sherpa. (Hill's first game?)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat May 15, 2021 8:55 pm

Sat May 15, 2021 8:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:21 pm

The whole story is screaming AGENT WITH DRUMKIT. But it's a rumour thread, so in it pops.

I also have a feeling, though I can't find proof, that yer man Anderson - still not a good name in our parts - was involved in the post-shootout argy and indeed bargy when Bratfurt beat our kids in the Sherpa. (Hill's first game?)

You've got a good memory. This article in the Telegraph and Argus confirms your suspicion.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 pm

"the former Peterborough and Bradford star". Not a sentence you see every day.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 15, 2021 9:25 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 pm
"the former Peterborough and Bradford star". Not a sentence you see every day.
Not unless you've been hired to edit the website showreel of Morecambe's left-sided centre-back Nathaniel Knight-Percival. (I have not been hired to edit the website showreel of Morecambe's left-sided centre-back Nathaniel Knight-Percival.)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 16, 2021 12:31 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:16 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Why so sure?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 16, 2021 10:52 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:31 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:16 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Why so sure?
No inside knowledge or anything just that he is out of contract will play here and develop and seems to know all of this.

Sure it’s possible some championship club snatches him but then I think we overplay how much these clubs follow league two fortunes. I think we are a great option for him and he for us and judging by his attitude following promotion I would just be massively surprised if he doesn’t come back here. Same with Dapo to be honest though I’m more reserved on him generally as less keen on him as a player and also he has more of a geographic issue. From down south....more of a lifestyle issue I guess.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 16, 2021 10:55 am

Oh ok. 99.99% might be a bit strong then :D

Dapo has moved all over the place. Canada as a kid, midlands, London, up here. He also did a term at Manchester Uni when he was a student so has lived up here in normal times.

I think they'll both sign, and will be thrilled by each.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 16, 2021 5:27 pm

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... on-3238631

Not sure how clued-in this story is - The News (Pompey local paper) is decent, but the SEO-milking headline makes me wonder if this is just a NewsNow filler. But for what it's worth, the story implies that clubs are close to agreeing the limit of 22 overage outfielders.

"There appears to be a general acceptance from clubs in League One and League Two to operate under those conditions, paving the way for the new rules to be formalised ahead of the 2021-22 campaign."

I'm assuming the EFL will use its usual date-split to define overage - 1 January, 2000 in this case, which would make Tomo, Darcy and Politic underage. 22 outfielders would also be slightly more than we've worked with this season, when keepers counted (although only Gilks was over the age threshold).